PDA

View Full Version : Taking my car off the road for 6 months

clowo16v
03-02-2006, 16:32
When my insurance runs out in a couple of weeks i'm going to take the clio off the road for 6 months to sort it all out. So far the things i've got to do are:

Bodywork

Repair OS rear arch
New debadged fibreglass bonnet with inlet cutout
De-trim
Smooth bootlid
De-handled
Possibly a cage
Modified front panel to take shorter radiator.

Engine & Gearbox

Rebuild spare 1.8 with lightened & balanced bottom end, maybe a mild bit of head work at then some throttle bodies with MS ECU. Rebuilt gearbox with modified selector forks & uprated bearings.

Suspension

Raise the rear torsion bar about 10mm so the car sits level
Remove and repaint all the front suspension, and possibly fit coilovers
Fit a manual steering rack conversion
Paint my wheels black

Interior

Completely stripped out. All sound deadening removed. All dashboard removed to be replaced by a roll cage cross bar and ally panel dash. Electric heater and demister. Pait of bucket seats with harnasses. The door frames will be cut to the absolute minimum, with poly windows all round bar the drivers door, which will be converted to manual winding. All the structural metal work will be drilled to remove excess weight.

Think thats about it. It will then get resprayed but I doubt it'll be Monaco again. Thinking about going for Impreza WR1 Ice blue at the minute.

Sound good?

See ya

Matt

Clio b
03-02-2006, 16:34
Sounds like a hell of a lot of work 2 me! But good luck wiv it... Entertain us wiv pictures all the way! :D

Coops
03-02-2006, 18:24
and use a meggi bottom end, not a 1.8!! it'd b rude not to, altho am sure you've got a million and 1 reasons that u shud use the 1.8 :roll:

:wink:

clowo16v
03-02-2006, 18:28
More revs basically and i've got one that cost nothing lol. Should still be quick enough.

See ya

Matt

Coops
03-02-2006, 18:33
u shud do the engine whilst car is on the road, transplant it n then work the rest around, then no time lost in the beast!! :twisted:

clowo16v
03-02-2006, 18:38
My insurance runs out in the middle of this month anyway and I don't drive it that often (tonight will be the first time i've driven it in 3 weeks) due to being at uni.

Gonna go as steady as possible tonight, only 8 days till I get the full 12 point quota on my licence hehe.

See ya

Matt

Coops
03-02-2006, 18:40
fookin ell, at uni n ur doin all that, where the hell does ur cash come from!! :shock: :D

i got 3 so far so am off out for a foot plant later!! :twisted:

Plattsy
04-02-2006, 13:58
shud be fun when its dun matt, id put a 2.0 bottom end in if not a full engine! more available power! megane head with bigger vavles shud be sweet ;) im on about building a race spec valver if i get round to it, need a good chassis though, i got a j reg vavler but it was all rotten so kicked the shell in lol.
progress pics defo!!
any bits you want give us a shout still got bits from the valver inc engine box ecu blabla

clowo16v
04-02-2006, 15:58
I'll see when I take it off the road, might need a new back bumper if you've got one mine is ****ed I cracked it towing my mates car home.

You widetracked yours yet?

See ya

Matt

Daz.
04-02-2006, 16:48
1.8 on TB's :D

Hope your gonna give us all hooooge progress report!