PDA

View Full Version : Cams

KingStromba
19-03-2005, 00:46
If youve got them, do you declare them? I cant see the point personally in declaring different cams or porting if the car has had previous owners.

Mark_Ritchspeed
19-03-2005, 11:26
I assume you mean insurance wise ? To be honest , with how tight insurance companies are I wouldnt risk it . The actually loading on your policy should be quite minimal . Who are you insured with ?

KingStromba
19-03-2005, 11:30
Tesco. But my car is completely standard. Just wondered if anyone would declare them.

I personally cant see an insurance company taking cams out of a car to measure the angles. And then how could they prove that you fitted them even if the did show they were after market cams?

Mark_Ritchspeed
19-03-2005, 11:45
Unfortunately they wouldnt have to prove wether you knew about them or not . If they are on your car its up to owner to know . Now I expect in the case of a normal accident they probably wouldnt be noticed , but if the car was involved in (touch wood) a fatal accident it would be picked apart piece by piece.

Believe me I hate insurance companies , but I simply wouldnt risk not declaring anything . Which may be why we pay just under £5k a year for our insurance . :shock:

KingStromba
19-03-2005, 11:47
:shock:

Jamie.
19-03-2005, 19:58
5k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fookin ell. ohh and tecso dont insure any mods unless you are 25 and over as this is Direct Lines policy, and direct line are Tescos underwritters. i only know as i tried to get insurance on a non-standard willy the other day through direct-line and cos im only 21 they said no to any mods and told me a load of companies who wouldnt too, Tesco was included. if u are over 25 though u should be okay

Mark_Ritchspeed
19-03-2005, 20:10
Its actually gone down slightly , but there are 4 drivers on the policy , with fully comp cover for high performance , imports and competition and modified cars , so its not that bad per person.

willy 0329
19-03-2005, 22:34
ks said how would the insures know if u had cams surely the the verniers and cam belt with piper wrote on them would give the game away it dosent take much to take the cambelt cover off !!!!!!!!!

KingStromba
19-03-2005, 22:48
Its not against insurance to fit pulleys and change the timing on a car anymore than it is to change the tyre pressure surely?

KingStromba
19-03-2005, 22:50
But yeah it might give the game away.

What about porting? Surely that is subjective?

willy 0329
19-03-2005, 23:21
the thing is though if the belt or verniers are different they will put 2+2 together and tear that engine into bits saying that i would keep it under wraps 8) insurance would go through the roof if declared

BigBoreBri
20-03-2005, 00:58
When i wrote my MK1 172 off it had an exhaust and filter... i removed them both before even telling the insurance company it was fooked but they didnt even blink an eyelid at the "missing" parts! :wink:

dezmondo
20-03-2005, 09:52
My uncle was an insurance assesor and said to me that unless something is really obvious (ie huge alloys, massive exhaust, collosal induction kit) the insurance guys can't know about the spec of every car and so won't notice minor or hidden things. Just ring 'em and ask how much difference it will make, and remember, it if the car is nicked and you have declared the mod, the insurance might (should) pay out for it!

However, if your tyre pressures are not equal (are out by 5psi or more across all 4) you will invalidate the insurance!!! :shock:

I was hit hard from behind a few years ago and the rear arch of my car impacted the rear tyre but did not burst it, the tyre lost serious pressure and the insurance company tried their best to claim my car was unsafe and therefore my insurance was invalid :evil: !!!

Also, if you get hit from behind, make sure you have (or say you had) the handbrake on, or you can be liable for the damage to the car infront if you are shunted into it!!

KingStromba
20-03-2005, 14:52
Like i said before, fitting a tow bar invalidates your insurance if you dont declare it.

Its such a grey area too. Imagine buying a second hand Jap car. Its virtually impossible to find the original spec on a 15 year old car that has changed hands 10 or so times. Its even garder as the Japs tend to make so many different specs and engine sizes. On some cars it can even be hard to tell what engine is in the car.

'Is your car standard? Any modifications?'

'**** know?'

J o n
20-03-2005, 16:20
more to the point tho Rob, what is this thread in aid of??? You secretly yearning for some extra power and getting Nick to fit some wild 310 degree racing cams??? ;)