PDA

View Full Version : PAS/Something Else Help Please

Swervin_Mervin
02-02-2006, 12:47
Right, I had a new pump fitted (brand new from Renault) and everything seemed much better.

When I was tinkering on Friday, getting a few jobs done before Elvington, I checked the PAS fluid level.

Seeing it was level with the top of the vanes in the filler, rather than at the top of the circular marker in the bottom, I got my turkey baster and removed some fluid down to that marker.

However, it almost immediately started being noisy again when I re-started. I just re-filled it back to the top of the vanes but it's still noisy.

The noise is like a whining/graunching noise on tickover and it increases with revs. It makes the noise even if you aren't trying to turn the wheel. It's also much worse at cold temps, like when starting first thing in the morning.

Anyone able to help? It's driving me ****ing nuts and I don't want this new pump to get ****ed.

If not Nick Hill will have to have a look at the RR day.

Plattsy
02-02-2006, 12:50
may sound stupid but check the bolts holding the alternator on! i was having those problems and found out the thread on the bolts had sheered off and the alternator was slightly loose which was throwing the belt out ever so slightly causing it to catch. that could be your problem or a pulley could be loose aswell.

Swervin_Mervin
02-02-2006, 12:57
Just seems odd that it was fine again until I buggered about with the fluid. It happened last time.

It was a little noisy and I drained loads of fluid out using a turkey baster through the reservoir. I then topped it all back up with new and it sounded 10x worse. :(

It's not a bleeding issue I think as there are no bubbles appearing when turning lock to lock.

Plattsy
02-02-2006, 13:11
see what your saying i did the drain and top up and made no difference whatso ever and when i had the aux belt tightened the alternator was loose throwing the belt into the cam belt cover