PDA

View Full Version : best ECU upgrade?

Mattie
31-01-2006, 10:05
gunners chip luks quite good but are there any "better" recomended chips for the same kinda money???

wots hill powers chip like?

aint got a clue wen it cums 2 ECU n chips :oops: - like everythin else :P

Clio_GTT
31-01-2006, 11:20
Bodge it and see chips aren't the best thing in the world TBH, all engines will be different on some it could improve things, on others it could make it worse. upto you how you spend your money but it can be put to use elsewhere, do you really need to go to 8k ?

2 live
31-01-2006, 11:27
best u can get is chip wizards.

failing that.any that are mapped to suit ur engine will give gains. the chip thats in is a mass produced 1, as are the engines, but evry engine will be diffrent, so the effectiveness of the map will be different. if u see wot i mean.

ideally a chip mapped to suit ur engine, and any mods on ur engine, as again, mods will create diff results on diff engines, is the best u can get....and for 350 is a fukkin bargain really, for the work thats put in. needs to be mapped on the rollers or a dyno tho to get the best out of it.

Mattie
31-01-2006, 14:59
is 350 for the chip wizards 1 2live?

2 live
31-01-2006, 15:03
yes mate...worth evry penny too imo

Mattie
31-01-2006, 15:06
is that just 4 the chip or fitted and mapped?

wud a mapped standard chip be the same as any other chip if u have it mapped 2 how u want it???

Clio_GTT
31-01-2006, 15:21
is that just 4 the chip or fitted and mapped?

wud a mapped standard chip be the same as any other chip if u have it mapped 2 how u want it???

AFAIK you can't map an EPROM, you can put maps on them, but can't map them to suit a particular car

Mattie
31-01-2006, 15:34
so they just need 2 be soldered on then and jobs a gd un?

Clio_GTT
31-01-2006, 15:47
so they just need 2 be soldered on then and jobs a gd un?

for an off the shelf map yes.

Mattie
31-01-2006, 15:49
i now understand :D

so gunners chip wont need mapping then?

VIPERONE
31-01-2006, 16:34
I think PLattsy has fitted his.... ask him what its like...now he's had chance to comprehensively review it lol!

Plattsy
02-02-2006, 12:57
the best ecu modification as far as i know is a piggy back ecu such as the smt6 which allows custom mapping to each individual car. obviously more gains from custom mapping as it exploits the cars full potential. set maps such as gibbos chip or the hill power one are good base maps which do give gains in many areas. but due to each car being different the results from those kind of chips can vary. if you have alot of tuning parts then a custom map is for you but if you have the basic mods then a normal chip would be better. you wont get much better gains from a custom map over a chip with basic modifications.
Gibbos chips are mapped for the basic exhaust, filter etc combo and he also does one for cams. not sure on what hill powers are like.
I recommend the gunner chip unless uv got plenty of cash!

2 live
02-02-2006, 13:38
an off the shelf chip is just that.......1 map copied to several chips....this can give a good improvement over std on 1 engine, but not so good on another.

the piggy back smt6 is ok...but then it tends to get damaged if not properly water shielded, and afaik it wont allow the increased rev limit.

by far the best route to take is to get a map thats actually mapped to suit your engine, whether its modded or not, this can be expensive. but like i said, is worth evry penny imo. this is usually done on a r/r or a dyno , with the lap top actually running your car, and then the map is changed on the lap top, when the mapper is satisfied with his work he will copy it to an eprom. which is then fitted to ur ecu the same way as gunners eproms are, with the aid of the bridge and a bit of soldering.

big hp
02-02-2006, 18:50
I spoke to Wayne at chip Wizards 10 mins ago, cars going in next week for a remap. He quoted £400 but I mentioned the £350 figure banded about and he said ok LOL.

Need to call him tomorrow when he's got his diary with him. I'm hoping for good things seeing as a few on here highly recommend him.

Mods to date, supersprint manifold, decat, magnex system and green filter.

Its hell of a drive for me but that'll just give me a couple of hundred miles to play on the way home :twisted:

Lunner
02-02-2006, 18:53
I will be booking into Chip Wizards at some point in the summer when the new lump is in

Plattsy
02-02-2006, 20:22
where is chip wizards? going to get a remap once ive got cams and headwork fettled!

VIPERONE
02-02-2006, 23:23
he is very good indeed im having a remap with him once mods are finished.

2 live
03-02-2006, 09:25
yeah.personally id wait for the re map until youv finished with the mods.seems silly to pay that much out to only add more mods a couple months later n need a re-map again

big hp
03-02-2006, 09:41
I'm finished with mods for now. Would like cams next year though, just a bit worried after all the horror stories. But like I say cams are a long way off yet.

VIPERONE
03-02-2006, 11:39
willy cams on their own are suprisingly good