27-01-2006, 20:04
quote system kinda doesn't work pal...

Tried it by hand?

richy
27-01-2006, 23:55
northy can u please stop messing about lol, :wink:

MrAtego
28-01-2006, 01:38
Don't know about messing with the forum, how about updating the main page, looks a bit out of date saying we are now in 2006 and website is STILL going on about FCS 2005 cmon fella!!! I'm not being picky, just ... well ok I'm being picky!!! Give us a shout fella if you want help with the HTML!!!

Purple
28-01-2006, 02:50
Does Northy have a test server environment(eg: on his own PC) that he can play with all the changes before he loads it onto production? If not, can some IT expert (close to him) help him set it up. Am worried that he is making so many changes at one go; there may come a time that he can't backtrack.

I personally don't need a site full of bling, just a simple one that works would be fine. But I do appreciate that Northy can't help himself sometimes :wink:

northy
30-01-2006, 10:00
Thanks purplesun.

The thing is im learning the codes and hacks to modd phpbb as i go along.

Im doing exaclty as it says on the instructions but as always with anything i do - im now at a stage were things are starting to stop working.

The topic layout has changed and the quotes do not work to name a few.

But one saving grace is that im going to take this time to upload to the latest revision of php.

I do not have a test server environment - but would like to learn more about how to set one up.

Im hoping to get a professional to update this week and put the settings back to normal, and then modd from a good base.

northy
30-01-2006, 10:01
Don't know about messing with the forum, how about updating the main page, looks a bit out of date saying we are now in 2006 and website is STILL going on about FCS 2005 cmon fella!!! I'm not being picky, just ... well ok I'm being picky!!! Give us a shout fella if you want help with the HTML!!!

lol, i'll try my best this week mate.

Purple
30-01-2006, 10:31
I do not have a test server environment - but would like to learn more about how to set one up.

Basically a mini server (usually another PC) that closely mirrors the applications on the web host. It's ofline and lets you safely test out all the changes before you upload the changes to the web host. If you can't have this; you will need to slow down your changes, so that you know exactly what to backtrack when something goes bad.

northy
30-01-2006, 10:47
i have been saving the files before i mod, but the problem came when one mod saved over the original. i panniced and replaced it before knowing what caused it.

i will be intouch late this week pal as i need to establish the faults with the providers.

Thanks for all your help though buddy.

Mattie
30-01-2006, 12:08
quote system kinda doesn't work pal...

Tried it by hand?

wot do u mean?

Zollo
30-01-2006, 12:20
wot do u mean?

He means by just typing [quote] either side of what you want to quote.

Mattie
30-01-2006, 13:21
He means by just typing [ quote ] either side of what you want to quote.

ahh nice 1 :D