PDA

View Full Version : non-clio help needed (BMW 323 not starting)

dan-hipgrave
27-01-2006, 17:59
Hey guys, we've got a 1996 BMW 323i that has been completely problem free up until last night, when it wouldnt start, and today its still the same.

It turns over just fine, but wont fire. Can smell fuel after turning it over so i know its getting through, im thinking its something electrical, trouble is i cant see anything that it might be, plus it dont help the engine is hidden by all these plastic covers!!

Anyone know of any common problems or what it might be?? Im at a loss really..

Cheers :D

Lunner
27-01-2006, 20:26
Trace the elctrical system back, spark plugs, ht leads, dizzy cap/rotar arm, king ht lead, coil, battery

dan-hipgrave
27-01-2006, 20:30
cheers Lunner, will start that tommorrow..

Been looking on BMW forums and saw one guy who said he had the same problem on his BMW, and it was because his last journey was literally a start then stop, and the ECU had sent too much fuel in and flooded the engine, so it wouldnt start for a while.

Last time it started, our BMW was only moved further down the driveway so it sounds like the same problem, but it kinda sounds stupid to me, like he's just made it up or got it wrong...

Lunner
27-01-2006, 20:45
reste the ECU, just go and disconnect the battery now and connect it back up tomorrow morning

dan-hipgrave
27-01-2006, 21:18
will do, thanks again Lunner :D

dan-hipgrave
28-01-2006, 13:28
right, reset the ECU, still nothing, so had a look at the ignition system - its a distributorless one, with electrical connections going directly to each sparkplug, as opposed to HT leads, and therefore no distributor etc. to check. All seems fine, and i was told once that if the rev counter bounces when cranking, the ignition system is fine..

So, then checked for fuel getting through - could smell it after cranking, and took one of the spark plugs out, and it was wet, so fuel is getting through. The ECU is also not giving out any fault codes..

Im completely stuck now, its gotta be something electrical, but i know nothing about these distributorless systems, gonna have to get in the proffesionals lol

Lunner
28-01-2006, 18:20
Check to see if the plugs are sparking

dan-hipgrave
28-01-2006, 18:42
my dad spoke to a BMW mechanic earlier today, and he said that this engine type is prone to a problem involving a sensor in the cylinder bores, not letting it start, and he said to have the battery fully charged, then just crank the engine with the accelerator flat to the floor, for as long as it takes to start up!!!!

Needless to say im reluctant to do it, but he assures me this is the problem, and is also why BMW scrapped this design of engine??