PDA

View Full Version : She failed her MOT :(

smokey
25-01-2006, 14:35
The hybrid went into have her MOT yesterday after being off of the road for over a year and I was feeling quietly confident.

However....my confidence was short lived after they called me to tell me it had failed :cry:

1: Offside headlamp aim too high (hotspot upper edge above the horizontal 0% line)

2: Nearside front brake hose stretched during lock to lock

3: Offside front brake hose stretched during lock to lock

4: Offside front CV joint gaiter insecurely mounted to its housing

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh need to get it fixed tonight and back for friday to get my free re-test otherwise its another £47

Scott-16v!
25-01-2006, 14:38
not the news you want to hear, but it's not too bad though is it considering how long it's been off the road mate??

smokey
25-01-2006, 14:42
not the news you want to hear, but it's not too bad though is it considering how long it's been off the road mate??

Well....I spose but I have replaced loads in the last year.

Only problem is I am at college tonight 4pm till 10pm so will have to try to fix it on the drive when I get back :(

Scott-16v!
25-01-2006, 14:50
bugger, have you still got a fortnight to fix it or have they changed the rules on it now??

Edit: guess they must've done having just re-read your first post. #-o

Lunner
25-01-2006, 15:05
1. re-adjust headlight down - free (at worst 2nd hand headlight £10

2/3. Replacement rubber brake hoses £6 each

4. Zip tie gatair secur

There.....sorted for 60 mins work and £12-£22

Wish mine was that easy, when it failed lol

smokey
25-01-2006, 15:23
1. re-adjust headlight down - free (at worst 2nd hand headlight £10

im going to put 1 or 2 washers under the front bolts which mount the headlight to the body to angle it down a bit and keep my fingers crossed

2/3. Replacement rubber brake hoses £6 each

I have got new braided lines and they were only stretched/kinked when it was on the ramps because the shocks were stretched without no load on the wheels...need to speak to him about that see what he says.

4. Zip tie gatair secur

Is a cable tie sufficient to pass the MOT mate?

There.....sorted for 60 mins work and £12-£22

Wish mine was that easy, when it failed lol

Sounding better as long as I can get the brake lines sorted

Lunner
25-01-2006, 15:29
Just make sure you use the right unipon spanner (11mm) and pray the lines are corroded on

Riley
25-01-2006, 15:52
nothing major thow, all easy fixes, 47quid for mot thow that well steep paid 27 for mine :lol:

Lunner
25-01-2006, 15:55
LOL, think mine cost £45, doesn;t seem to be any std anylonger :?

smokey
25-01-2006, 16:56
The lines wont be corroded Lunner, I have just fitted braided hoses when I fitted the 4 pots a cpl of weeks ago. I had to replace both front brake lines thou as they were corroded and not even the right spanner removed them.

The MOT's are now all £47 afaik, its all to do with the new electronic MOT thing

Riley
25-01-2006, 17:52
Mine was electronic just got it at trade price 8)

Lunner
25-01-2006, 19:12
The lines wont be corroded Lunner, I have just fitted braided hoses when I fitted the 4 pots a cpl of weeks ago. I had to replace both front brake lines thou as they were corroded and not even the right spanner removed them.

The MOT's are now all £47 afaik, its all to do with the new electronic MOT thing

You have it easy then, btw i quoted prices for cheapo rubber hoses

Buy 1mtr of brailed line from rall;y designa nd fittings and it comes out at about £15

smokey
26-01-2006, 02:11
well, spent the night at the workshop tonight sorting out her problems.
She's all done apart from the headlight alignment, guessed i'd leave that to them to sort out as they have the board they shine it on and they shouldnt charge to fix that.

I ended up using 2 cable ties for the cv gaiter so hopefully thats sufficient for now.

Going in for her retest hopefully tomorrow if they can fit me in when i call them in the morning.

Fingers crossed :)

Coops
26-01-2006, 02:17
cable ties are fine, thats what alot of garages use neway for rubber gators!

smokey
26-01-2006, 13:24
She's being re-tested 3pm this afternoon :?

Coops
26-01-2006, 19:25
how'd it go matey? get her thru? i got mine on 11th feb, shittin it comin out the end of my 1st ever rebuild!! :wink:

smokey
26-01-2006, 20:07
Nope....she failed again on something else grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

When I fitted my braided hoses I couldnt get the old hoses off so I just cut them and the bracket holding them in place (green bit in pic)
I didnt replace the green bit as I thought it would be ok as long as they went through the white bit in the pic but the guy today said there not secure enough and just aborted the retest till monday.
So have just PM'd winston to see how quick he can get them to me ;)

http://premium1.uploadit.org/smokey//winston.JPG

Coops
27-01-2006, 01:46
yeah i know the bit u mean, it kinda does support the hose alot!!! important up front n all with wheels movin left n right n up n down!! good luck gettin her sorted mate, and look forward to havin a good laff at me when mine goes in!!