PDA

View Full Version : PAS Sounds terrible.

Laine_16v
24-01-2006, 21:31
Hi,

Since i got my car the PAS has always been noisy. Now i know what your all thinking "The PAS on all Clio 16v is noisy".

Mine abolustely howls away, extremely loud, definately not normal. However i seem to notice when your on a flat road and lock it at stand still its not bad generally.

However when you full lock leaning up a hill or down a hill it howls like a bitch.

I normally find the PAS reservoir covered in fluid after a drive aswell. Do i have a dieing PAS pump on my hands?

I want to try this Slick 50 PAS fluid and see if that helps. Howeve ri havent got a clue where the PAS is in the engine bay to drain it. Anyone got any pictures or diagrams?

Coops
24-01-2006, 21:48
take it the fluid filler cap is okay? no splits or cracks in it, and ,make sure the resevoir aint overfilled.

the pump is a bitch to get to, its driven by the aux belt on side of the engine next to resevoir, but its dismantle whole head assembly nearly to get to it!

slick 50 is good but didnt sort my noisy ass pump n all, mine was fooked so i got one of a 19 16v and thats silent as the grave now, but my head gasket blew so had excuse to fit it!

scuse the crap blurry pic but the red circle shows top feed pipe going into the pump. this is with the head off, so with it on u cant get near it!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/PB240242.jpg

best place to just drain the system is off the steering rack as its lower than the pump, and fluid go down!! :P so undo the union from the steering rack and drain the fluid into a bowl under the car there.

coops

Laine_16v
24-01-2006, 21:49
Dam that looks nasty to get too. Isnt the PAS reservoir meant to have a small hole in the top to let it breathe?

Coops
24-01-2006, 21:51
yeah the cap will have a small hole, but any big crakcs around the sides or out cd cause issues, specially if its over filled, shud just b able to see fluid in the hole, just covering all the pastic. and make sure its bled right n all, cap off n engine off, turn lock to lock and top up fluid, repeat till fluid doesnt drop anymore. then do same again with engine on.

Laine_16v
24-01-2006, 21:56
Ill check all this tommorow, its too dark and cold now :P

Clio_GTT
24-01-2006, 22:23
sounds like a dodgy pump, mines the same howls like a good en and gets me some funny looks. Pumps aren't that expensive but are an absolute arse to fix, i put some slick 50 PAS fluid in and it did help for a while but the howling is back. Its time for another pump but i won't change it until i change the engine.

James Clio 16v
24-01-2006, 23:35
My pump is fine, but I was getting the leakage from the top of the cap (cap is brand new).

I drilled a larger hole in the top of the cap and ran a length of tubing to a bottle that I put by the ECU. I put a small breather hole in the bottle.

Hey presto, no fluid anywhere and when the bottle fills up, I just empty it back into the reservoir.

James

Sam16v
25-01-2006, 02:50
is the 19 16v power steering pump the same as clio 16vs

Laine_16v
25-01-2006, 08:46
Pumps arent expensive? At euro car parts they are £100 ! Pretty expensive if you ask me :cry:

fasterthanjesus
25-01-2006, 09:30
sounds like a new pump to me.

they tried everything with mine, and in the end it was replaced. (the pump supplier said that it was pumping at about 1/3rd of what it should).

wasnt best pleased, but its spot on now. (pump was around 120 iirc).

my symptoms were, high pitched whining noise whilst accelerating, at higher speeds it was less noticable, at low speed and turning car was sounding like a cross between a tractor and a taxi. at full lock the noise seemed to ease off. bleeding the pump (full lock to lock slowly x5) did nothing to fix mine, and i tried bleeding it about 20 times!

Chris H
25-01-2006, 10:27
the 19's pump is different.

Swervin_Mervin
25-01-2006, 12:02
Pumps cost more than £100. The one I got from Eurocarparts was wrong and they couldn't suss out why. I had to take the old one in to convince them.

I paid £200 for pump and flange at Renault.

IMO it's worth getting it done because in under 12 months mine went from slightly noisy to mega-loud and I was told it was only a matter of time before it failed.

Not only that but the failing pump will cause drag on your engine reducing your oomph. Mine felt tons better after the new pump was fitted.

Laine_16v
25-01-2006, 12:47
It cost you £200 for a new pump from renault? Or:

It cost you £200 to have a new pump and have it fitted by renault aswell?

Swervin_Mervin
25-01-2006, 13:02
£200 for the pump and flange, not fitted.

fasterthanjesus
25-01-2006, 13:05
mine came to about 420 inc vat, all in. (not renault).

its a bitch of a job, according to my local mechanic.

my mechanic isnt cheap, but hes top notch.

Clio_GTT
25-01-2006, 17:42
wait until you need the cambelt done and get it done then, have the engine out and its much easier then.

Coops
25-01-2006, 19:12
hows it different chris? cuz cording to winston its the same and he gave me one and its on me car now runnin sweet as a nut!!!

Chris H
26-01-2006, 09:51
theres no way a 19 pump will go anywhere near a clio engine, its bigger, different pulley and the hoses are in totally different places.

he gave you a clio one not a 19 one.

Swervin_Mervin
26-01-2006, 11:26
There's only one other pump that's similar, which is what ECP gave me. However it's still not right without modification, and not even renault could identify which model is was off! :P

Coops
26-01-2006, 19:24
furry muff! i aint got clue, people tell me summit, i got no experience so no room to tell em it aint so! either way its as quiet as a mouse now!! 8)