PDA

View Full Version : Alloy cleaner...

Tommo
24-01-2006, 16:06
Sorry if this is a bit CSish but the polished lip on my wheels seem to be fading quite badly and has marks on them which I can't remove with just soap and water. does anybody know of a decent alloy polish that can restore this to the orignal shine?

Cheers
Col

Smokey McPot
24-01-2006, 16:14
are they lacquered?

Tommo
24-01-2006, 16:21
No mate they're not lacquered

FlamingMonkey
24-01-2006, 16:22
Try some Autosol mate that should do it

lewis_willy2
24-01-2006, 16:45
shouldnt they be laquered :?

FlamingMonkey
24-01-2006, 16:51
depends mine aren't laquered, but mine have been refurbed.

Smokey McPot
24-01-2006, 16:58
No mate they're not lacquered

if its the lip. fine wire wool and TCut works a treat. I used em on my Turini's

if its the gold, something less abrahsive as you wont wanna scratch the paint.

Tommo
24-01-2006, 17:35
Thanks for the help lads

They were refurbed a few months ago and they didn't laquer the rims, just machine polished them. It looks awful at the moment so willl have a go this weekend.

Cheers

Zollo
24-01-2006, 17:38
And on the same note, I've just finished cleaning my wheels and can't shift the final stuborn layer of brake dust. No amount of scrubbing with car shampoo and a sponge can shift it :x

Can anyone recommend a decent wheel cleaner for caked on brake dust? Or something else?

Sorry to nick your thread Tommo!

lewis_willy2
24-01-2006, 17:40
here but cant help!!!

sorry, but am interested as mines wheels are mingin

Swervin_Mervin
24-01-2006, 17:43
Helpful tip. I use a bug cleaning sponge from Halfrauds. Works a treat. Needs lots of elbow grease mind.

Mine aren't usually too bad but I've not waxed them for ages and now they're a bitch.

stew
24-01-2006, 17:50
you get some sorta crazy putty stuff thats meant to be good. it removes tar and brake dust. never used it and dont know what its name is!!! :oops:

FATBOY
24-01-2006, 19:49
erm is it wonder wheels??? whell cleaner is what i use for brake dust! it is acid so be careful, but soon eats the brake dust away! and then rinse off straight away!

Zollo
24-01-2006, 19:53
So that's a bug cleaning sponge, Wonder Wheels cleaner, and some sorta crazy putty stuff!

Nice one, cheers guys 8)

BRUN
25-01-2006, 18:46
Zollo id use Meguiars Hot Rims

Tommo, Mer do a wheel polish which is quite good

badger
25-01-2006, 23:04
a cheep way is , if you have an old battery use the acid from it as that all wonder wheels is [ well a form of anyway] a mate used on his £1000 wheels and still does.

matty
25-01-2006, 23:35
For stubborn brake dust the fillable washing up brushed you can get from supermarkets that come with foam pads and green or white (white non scratch) scourer are good.

Fill with wonder wheels which soaks the sponge and then the non scratch scourer and away you go.

big hp
26-01-2006, 00:03
Use autosol on a cloth or even a toothbrush to remove the stubborn brake dust. I swear by this method.

Wonder wheels is good but only removes loose brake dust.

Once you've got it all off wax your wheels. Stops the dust from sticking. Just do it everytime you polish the car and your wheels will stay minty mint mint.

Coops
26-01-2006, 01:30
that autosol stuff confused shite outtas me!! started makin stuff dirtuer so gave up....then went back for more kept on polishin n bit of elbow grease later my engine looked pukka!!! so if it looks like it aint workin keep on going cuz it shifts shite like no bodies business, check the cloth ur using!!

good shit!! 8)

Zollo
21-04-2006, 18:17
Useful Tip - Always wash wheels off after a track day. One full can of foam brake dust remover (rubbish), three shampoo washes and three applications of Wonder Wheels (taking an hour to do the two front wheels, and needing to get finger nails involved) and I've learnt my lesson. :oops:

Wonder Wheels rocks :D

Anders
21-04-2006, 20:16
Path and driveway cleaner from any DIY store is the same sh$t as wonder wheels and other acid based cleaners. Apply with cloth, leave for a minute them wipe clean...good on calipers too. DO NOT SPRAY as this will atomise it and you may breath it in, or worst it will get into your eyes.

Use to use it at the Renault dealership when at uni...worked on all kinds of caked on crap..even tar removal for wheels and sills.

Can't you just fit dust caps for trackdays?

Zollo
21-04-2006, 20:21
Yeah, that's the stuff. Smells really fishy doesn't it?! Same stuff as Esso use to clean their forecourts!

Dust caps? Far too easy. :wink: