PDA

View Full Version : buy a cheap valver or spend it on the willy?

Jamie.
24-01-2006, 14:54
hmm ive been thinking, with my 4pots alone which are gona be £400 im not sure whether to track the williams or save my cash and just buy a mildly modded valver next year for anything up to 2k. if i decided to track and mod my williams i reckon ill easily spend a grand or so in a year but if i saved that and spent it on a valver and stripped it out martin stylee i think id have a car that i didnt give a fook about and since id strip it out much more than i ever would a williams id have a pretty quick car. obviously this is all 6/12 months ahead but if i wanted to do it id start saving now, and i could always swap my 4pots from the williams to the valver if i did buy one.

Smokey McPot
24-01-2006, 14:56
Williams is gonna hold its value, especially if its standard.

I'd get a valver on the cheap and spend what you can afford on making track material. Make some cash too selling the bits out of it.

northy
24-01-2006, 15:30
i wouldnt spend a grand on a car i didnt care about for the track mate...lol

stay with the williams - just drive carefully on track.

Im my eyes -

You buy a valver. Strip it and its good. But you want to go quicker. So in goes a 2.0 Its fast and passes most on the track down the straights. But in the corners it can be improved. Williams wide track is fitted and your on doing great. Basically you now have a williams but its taken you a grand plus to get there .

Strip the rear seats out on a trackday is a good mod mate....you dont need to go martin style.

Mod the williams to fast road spec....and enjoy

stew
24-01-2006, 15:30
Buy a cheap hybrid and track it!

Only problem is owning/insuring 2 cars. Aint easy unless your 25++

:roll:

Nowt wrong IMO spending money on a willaims to make it better. 4 pots arent gonna drop its value any. just dont strip it out! bad way of losing money in the long run!

Swervin_Mervin
24-01-2006, 15:32
My plan, which is now ditched as I can't afford it, was to buy a pretty buggered looking valver for a couple of hundred notes, but with a working engine.

Then basically strip it, sell the good bits and willy track it. I don't think you'll miss the 2L power too much if you concentrate on the handling first like brakes (which you have) and willy track.

Clio_GTT
24-01-2006, 18:12
Theres no way i'd strip a williams to the bones, theres so little left these days, you see them being written off all over the place, engines appearing all sorts, IMHO i'd feel much better about stripping a 16v over a williams, doesn't really cost that much to repair them and they can be equally fun which is all track days are about, bettering yourself not trying to race others.

My wide track 16v will be up for sale soon too, just spent over £600 on the wide track alone, plus all other usual maintainence :shock: :oops: :cry:

northy
24-01-2006, 18:15
i see it as - the more williams that dye - the better our cars become.

Zollo
24-01-2006, 18:32

Me too. But my fear (and I presume Jamie's) is that one of the Williams that dies will be mine! Hence why people want to get something they'd be more happy to crash.

It costs a lot, but I'm happy to keep spending £65 a track day for insurance, so at least I have some sort of compensation should it go wrong :P

northy
24-01-2006, 18:39
tis what i do....

but i spend what ever penies i have on the williams.

Martin
24-01-2006, 18:40
insurance pah trackdays are expensive enough. I only have a lowly hybrid though :wink:

GazTwo
24-01-2006, 20:03
Personally I'd go the Valver route mate, u'd be gutted if u bumped the Williams even if it was the smallest of bumps and u were insured...u will still have bumped your pride and joy.

I know the nana wasn't exacally the cheapest Track Toy but I know if I have a major incident I can buy a cheap Valver and swop everthing over.

U can have plenty of fun in a standard valver without needing a 2.0 or Willy track etc...just buy one and have some fun in it first and as and when things break renew them with better/uprated parts and slowly make it better.

richy
24-01-2006, 20:08
im more then happy to use my williams, i dont see the point in buying a valver then fitting wide track and 2.0 in it when i already have the real thing :wink: at the end of the day its still a car!

btw running more then 1 car isnt hard really, just need to choose the cars and there use's right, i will have my williams, my r19 1.4 and a clio valver by sunday lol and i track the williams out of them lol, the valver will be for work :)

Martin
24-01-2006, 20:09
How do you insure them though richy? seperate policies must add up?

richy
24-01-2006, 20:14
well lol ive now insured the williams in my mums name lo(yes a women driving a stripped out modded williams!)

im currently insured on the r19,but when i get the valver im selling the r19 anyway so will swap policy over, its going to cost £40 a year more to insure the valver over r19

yes its not obviously as cheap as 1 car is, but i pay less for these 2 then i did the williams in my name! if fact about 50% less

Jamie.
24-01-2006, 20:49

Me too. But my fear (and I presume Jamie's) is that one of the Williams that dies will be mine! Hence why people want to get something they'd be more happy to crash.

It costs a lot, but I'm happy to keep spending £65 a track day for insurance, so at least I have some sort of compensation should it go wrong :P

thats how i feel, but i wouldnt spend 65 a day on insurance, although what is the excess on that policy? i heard horror stories of 50% excess

Zollo
24-01-2006, 20:52
It's either £250 or £350 I think.

Jamie.
24-01-2006, 20:53
It's either £250 or £350 I think.

thats pretty gd that mate, send me the link please?

Zollo
24-01-2006, 20:56
http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/contact.htm

Let me know if I'm wrong about the excess figure!