PDA

View Full Version : Brake dilemma

J o n
24-01-2006, 12:56
... right, basically ever since I have owned my car the brakes have been an issue and it has gone through disks and pads like you wouldn't believe... not to mention all of the calipers have been replaced with brand new Reno items. the thing is they are still not only shite, but fault prone, for example, at the moment I can drive upto 30 mph, knock it out of gear and i'll be stopped in about 10 seconds... as the car brakes on it's own... now the problem here is that it's the back brakes that are binding, but the drivers is much worse and subsequently it likes to scare me on round abouts and sharp bends even when going slow...

I have ordered a new set of front disks... again, as these ones got ate... new pads and a master cylinder... is a master cylinder an easy job to do as I was hoping to get it sorted before POD, but that look highly unlikely and is that likely to be causing my brake problem? they have worked well twice in it's career, once before Donny and the other after the lot were replaced (bar master cyl and bias valve), but they never last more than a few miles before going spongy pedal feeling and generally no bite in them

Swervin_Mervin
24-01-2006, 13:06
I'd suggest going back to standard discs and DS2500 pads at the front. I really cannot fault them, at all.

12k miles, 18 months, including Ty Croes and Haynes.

J o n
24-01-2006, 13:09
only ever used standard disks apart from once mate... last lot were std too, lasted less than a week...

Jamie.
24-01-2006, 13:13
just out of interest how much were the standard calipers from reno?

FlamingMonkey
24-01-2006, 13:14
I'm starting to think your car has a serious dislike for you dude :P

Swervin_Mervin
24-01-2006, 13:16
Mis-read your post John, thought you'd ordered ATE discs! :P

I have a slight problem with one of my rear brakes apparently. Not that I've noticed. :oops:

northy
24-01-2006, 13:49
rear calipers suffer from seizing handbreak lickages jon - youve had two calipers lock solid on the rear and start to drag.

The garage who fitted the new calipers might fall under the one years part warrenty with reno ?

might be worth a try if its a recuuring fault.

J o n
24-01-2006, 14:11
they were about £140 each plus VAT i think... maybe more... all I remember is for rear brakes that day alone it was over £800 for parts and labour...

was gonna do Mike, went standard in the end, wasn't sure what would and wouln't fit/work... lol

Northy, unfortunately its well out of that period, it was a year last Xmas when I had the calipers changed, so looks like I'll be shelling out again... have a good weekend at Pod gents... :roll: typical, but hopefully this should fix it...

FlamingMonkey
24-01-2006, 14:15
**** that shit get your ass down to Pod

J o n
24-01-2006, 14:16
you picking me up? :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
24-01-2006, 14:20
Just spray some WD40 on them. That''ll stop 'em sticking. :P

Chris H
24-01-2006, 17:24
fecks sake, you want them sorted right come up to merry scotland and I'll sort them for less than 800 as well.

You had new hoses? What about the bias valve? Master cyl is a pain in the arse unless the engines out.

FlamingMonkey
24-01-2006, 17:26
you picking me up? :lol:

I'll pick you up from Lymm :D

Martin
24-01-2006, 17:31
I've had the same problem with the rear brakes Jon had a new handbrake cable(s) and bit of fettling by the garage and they're sorted now!

Andyvalver
24-01-2006, 17:34
Im having a brake problem like you :P One of my rear calipers keeps bloody sticking. I freed it off and got some copper slip round the piston and a week later its doin it again lol. Not all the time though :? It makes the rear wheel get nice and hot lol. I need to sort it before the drive to pod really :(

stew
24-01-2006, 17:48
My brake problem is that the rears barely fooking work. Only 1/3 of the rear disc is used (the side nearest the hub), the other 2/3 is all rusty and no used for some crazy reason!!!

new pads fitted month back by a local garage! handbrake is ok-but not enough effort for turns etc! :oops: new bias valve also done a month back! just dont seem to get enough rear braking effort!

J o n
24-01-2006, 18:04
scotland's a bit of a mission mate coming from sunny manchester... lol... but appreciate the offer :wink:

i've got goodridge hoses all round and has two sets of hand brake cables, **** know how many disks, bearings, pads, and bleed's they have had, but talking almost one and a half grand :? this car has been a ****ing nightmare quite frankly... but i still love it :lol:

i'm hoping 2 live tuning will be able to fix the problem once their sorted lol.

2 live
24-01-2006, 18:49
lol

soon mate

Zollo
24-01-2006, 18:57
i'm hoping 2 live tuning will be able to fix the problem once their sorted lol.

Hell, even I'll be able to fix the problem if they've already been sorted! :?

J o n
24-01-2006, 19:01
once 2 live tuning are sorted i mean... lol

Zollo
24-01-2006, 19:03
Ah yeah, sorry, that makes more sense!

Can recommend 2 live Tuning's brake fixing service. Second to none!