PDA

View Full Version : FAO Chris H again! (sorry matey!!)

Coops
21-01-2006, 21:44
right i got them voltages, now how the heck do i set about checkin em bearin in mind am clueless on how to work a muti meter let alone apply it to this job!!! :oops:

cheers in advance matey

Coops

Lunner
21-01-2006, 22:01
To check vopltage put the red multi meter terminal on the relevent wire, andearth the other one, on the battery negative, or bar car chassis, make sure its a good earth ir it will lower the readings

Coops
21-01-2006, 23:49
how bout when to do it lunner matey? engine idling, engine off, throttle open throttle closed?!

VIPERONE
22-01-2006, 03:15
i suspect on idle

Coops
22-01-2006, 11:32
cheers gibbo matey, i'll give it a waz!!once i've stopped the leak!! :D

stan
22-01-2006, 13:26
if this is for the TPS, you aren't checking for voltage, you are measuring RESISTENCE at a given position

Lunner
22-01-2006, 14:16
Yeah coudl guess idle, chris quoted voltages and resistances

Coops
22-01-2006, 15:26
if this is for the TPS, you aren't checking for voltage, you are measuring RESISTENCE at a given position

yeah mate but voltage is a factor in resistance and as such with engine runnin safer use voltage n not blow the multimeter!!!

am gonna give it a blag monday once i got new fuel rail n stopped the leak!!

Lunner
22-01-2006, 16:06
PMSL...you arent' gonna blow the multi meter lol

stan
22-01-2006, 18:30

yeah mate but voltage is a factor in resistance and as such with engine runnin safer use voltage n not blow the multimeter!!!

am gonna give it a blag monday once i got new fuel rail n stopped the leak!!

WHAT?!!! doesnt work like that matey. resistence=voltage/current (R=V/I)....i tkae it this is the "factor ur on about!!! the sensor alone doesnt produce any current, therefore it doesnt produce a voltage. SO...like i say, you measure resistence, as this is how the sensor works....different position of throttle gives different resistence value...the ecu then uses this value to determine engine load....

BRUN
22-01-2006, 19:52
how is it possible to measure the resistance of the wires with the engine running ?

as surely you need to disconnect the connector

Lunner
22-01-2006, 20:00
Stick the probes inot the connector plug.

Without knowing what you are measuring, i'm guessing you are measuring the resistance of a sensor, so you put one probe beofre the sensor, and one after it, and get a resistance reading.

TBH it really isn't that complicated, do it at idle and see how far out you are from teh readings, with the engine off you are gonna get no resistance i would have thought, at idle you are gonna get the 'base' values, and can't sit there on half throttle spot on for a few minutes lol, and if you have full throttle its just gonna be bouncing off the limiter, so by locical thought, common sense, and process of elimination, you do it on idle

BRUN
22-01-2006, 20:15
i tried sticking the probes into the connector plug last time and it didnt work too well

Coops
22-01-2006, 20:57
if u cant use the voltage then why did chris post em? and yes u can blow a multimeter!! it is measuring resistance, u overload the mutimeter and it'll knock it out of calibration, believe me i've done it before and i aint doin it again cuz me old man was pissed when i fcuked it!!

so survey says unplug potentiometer plug on idle, stick one probe from meter into wiring loom plug end, and one probe into potentiometer plug end and set it from that for each wire colour?!

Lunner
22-01-2006, 22:04
Who said anythign about unplugging it, if you unplug it you break the circuit, and get no resistance, as tehre is no voltage.

Knocking a multi meter out is hardley blowing it, lol. They have fuses in to stop them 'blowing'. if in doubt about knocking it out, use a really high scale, and go down till you get a workable figure

Coops
22-01-2006, 22:49
ah furry muff!!! am shite with testin electrics, tend to just go for it, dont like precise stuff!!! :D

some one else was sayin unplug it!! how else do u make contact with the wires? they are insulated and surely u bridge the gap with the two mutimeter prongs?

Coops
22-01-2006, 22:51
scrap that, if u do that u just measuring resistance of the bloody meter! damn i hate bloody electrics!!! can sum bugger write a step by step of this cuz am gettin well confused!!:oops: :P

Lunner
22-01-2006, 22:56
stick teh probe inot the plug wherre the wire goes in

Coops
22-01-2006, 23:03
doh!! think i got it matey!

am just paranoid as **** about messin summit up n gettin funny idle etc! am a bit of a novice!! :D

VIPERONE
22-01-2006, 23:15
Right i'll admit im wank with electrics.. can someone post a pic of a multi-meter set to measure resistance lol.

Coops
22-01-2006, 23:21
erm......no.....i gotta puzzle that one out tomos n all matey!!! u get my pm btw?

Coop

Lunner
22-01-2006, 23:22
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=010910060&r=2108&g=114

Shoudl do everything you need it to

Coops
22-01-2006, 23:22
lunner ur an electrics legend!!! :wink:

Lunner
22-01-2006, 23:25
I have an AS level in electronics :wink:

Would have a full A level if my shitty college did it up to A level

stan
22-01-2006, 23:35
**** me lads....cummon...get a grip!!!

right...

engine doesnt have to be running...it should be off.

unplug sensor (@idle)

put probes on appropriate pins of sensor plug

check RESISTANCE value

repeat for other wires/WOT

voltage doesnt come into it.....you would only check voltage on the LOOM multi plug if u suspected a wiring problem within the engine loom itself. that isnt what you are doing here....you are adjusting the throttle potentiometer (potentiometer being the tech term for a variable RESISTOR) to give a given value (RESISTENCE) for a given throttle position (idle and WOT).

and for what its worth....12v wont blow a multimeter

BRUN
23-01-2006, 01:24
are you certain the engine should be off ?

as thats not what ive been told in the past

ive got a spare throttle body in the shed so im gonna give this a go

Chris H
23-01-2006, 09:19
lol

resistance is what it should be but setting by resistance alone doesn't always work. i find voltage to be a better method. Obviously full throttle with the engine running isn't to clever, so set the voltage on idle.

On the plug the top half folds over, unclip it then stick the probes down the pulg.

FlamingMonkey
23-01-2006, 11:47
when I unplug mine the car idles at about 1.5k revs is this right...lol?

Coops
23-01-2006, 13:48
cheers chris, just gotta sort pesky fuel leaks n am on it!!

Coops