PDA

View Full Version : williams vs 182

bigjim
21-01-2006, 18:15
met up with my mate whos got a 04 plate 182 with cup packs. took both the cars up to mine for a good washing session then out for a bit of a play. he stayed behind me and i led the way he was commenting on how sweet the williams sounded especially when i was booting it (his is standard) anyway we had various blasts round the outskirts of edinburgh on some nice short streches of dual carriageway etc and there was baciscally nothing in it , i wasnt pulling and he wasnt gaining, was nice to get a comparison. told him to watch out after i get my cams/pulleys and remap ill be leaving him behind :twisted: oh and his sounds shit, like a dyson hoover. :D

Andyvalver
21-01-2006, 18:18
Nice one. Love it when people do a proper comparison between cars.
Try posting this on cliosport so we can read all the excuses :wink: lol

Martin
21-01-2006, 18:19
lol Takes this sort of comparison on the road to convince some 172/182 owners as after all the willy is x secs slower to 100 etc :)

bigjim
21-01-2006, 18:25
just posted on cliosport. lol. this should be good. :D

Gav
21-01-2006, 18:28
link link link :D :D :D :D

bigjim
21-01-2006, 18:40
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116610

TriO`
21-01-2006, 18:43
nice one =D>

must keep an eye on that cs thread, might get a bit messy :)

Gav
21-01-2006, 18:55
it will get messy, then they will get pissed off and lock the thread :D

richy
21-01-2006, 19:15
nice one, me and bayliss were just messing about doing 5th gear sprints, my williams and his 182, all 4 times mine pulled away except when he dropped to 4th lol

i dont use CS its full of knobs who think the 182 is 'all singing and dancing' what a joke! :lol:

J o n
22-01-2006, 01:32
lol, evogone is such a prik... wow, he used to own a fast car... it had a turbo and they is faster cos they feel faster innit... what a **** wit

Coops
22-01-2006, 01:35
easy lads, dont pull a CS n get this thread locked before the one on CS!!!!! :lol:

smokey
22-01-2006, 02:30
lol, evogone is such a prik... wow, he used to own a fast car... it had a turbo and they is faster cos they feel faster innit... what a f**k wit

lol...just what i was thinking mate.

Both great cars...i owned both at the same time, for completely different reasons.

bigjim
22-01-2006, 11:13
cant believe how many knobs are on cliosport. and that evogone is a wanker.

Andyvalver
22-01-2006, 12:53
:lol: Love in the bullshit that somepeople come out with.

RS-Steve
22-01-2006, 13:18
I wanna know how the RS got dragged in lol. Well richy has a williams, had my 172 (basicly a 182) for a few months an has driven my RS atleast once so dare say he can comment lol

richy
22-01-2006, 13:46
I wanna know how the RS got dragged in lol. Well richy has a williams, had my 172 (basicly a 182) for a few months an has driven my RS atleast once so dare say he can comment lol

ive posted on cs!!!

Purple
22-01-2006, 13:46
IMHO, the Clio Williams is one of those cars, just like the original mini, that "punches way above its class". I think once a driver gets a hang of these car's throttle, brake and chassis responses, they can be driven comfortably close to their limits. Thus their on-paper stats doesn't quite reflect their real world capabilties. OTOH, on a long enough piece of road - the paper stats should still be quite valid. But in the real world, corners or traffic police usually get in the way of that. :)

Clio_GTT
22-01-2006, 14:20
classic cliosport, nuff said

Gav
22-01-2006, 14:50
bunch of pricks...now its enuf said :wink:

FATBOY
22-01-2006, 16:09
lol ralph wiggum is an arsey tosser aint he richy!

richy
22-01-2006, 16:11
tbh hes gone along with the comment i made about the FRS to loony

big hp
22-01-2006, 17:00
Oh dear. Always the same old comments.

Jimbob
22-01-2006, 17:47
He he, put my 2 cents in!

TriO`
22-01-2006, 18:31
haha 7 pages and still growing \:D/

Jamie.
22-01-2006, 22:16
0-100 20 secs? wtf?

Daz.
22-01-2006, 23:47
=;

Bayliss
23-01-2006, 00:22
hello guys, there is very little difference between williams and 182, from 0mph i think 182 would be marginally quicker but all dependant on driver like richy said when we had a lil play between ourselves his was better picking up in 5th (well alot better if i'm honest). i mean even gunner will comment that the 182 isn't half bad from todays run, and must admit his hybrid (basically a williams) was very quick whilst it ran, lol

case
23-01-2006, 02:19
Now i remember why i left CS. Its full of people who think the mk2 is the best car ever made. to me it seems most of them are just insecure, i've spent £15k on my car so it has to be the best car there is and nobodies going to tell me otherwise. In my opinion most mk1 owners can except there car isn't the fastest and isn't the best but they love it non the less.

Why are people so hung up on bok figures. so what if on paper on car does 0-60 0.2 secs quicker. its the car you buy as a package not just the book figure.

It just annoys me as i don't own a mk1 because i can't afford a mk2 or i think mine is quicker i own it because i think as a complete car the mk1 is much nicer. Another thing is they all think owning a mk1 is cheap, we buy one because were poor, they should try living with the running costs of a 14 year old car.

I can except a 182 is probably quicker than mine, and frankly i don't care. If i saw a 182 and a mint williams next to each other i wouldn't even look twice at the 182.

Thats my ranks over and i'm sorry. I'm not saying the 182 is rubbish i'm just saying it annoys me alot of mk2 owners don't seem to be able to except a williams can be as quick.

Mark

JayR
23-01-2006, 08:57
nice one =D>

must keep an eye on that cs thread, might get a bit messy :)

And so it did.......Read page 1, 2 and 9 and i got to know that so how bad are the middle ones!?Lol

Craig
23-01-2006, 10:03
exactly why i only go on cliosport about twice a week when im bored!

this place and RSC are loads better IMO!

malbon
23-01-2006, 10:44
both sides of the argument sounds true. it looks like people might be arguing over the same thing here. the 182 is quicker than the williams - fact - and so it should be. the williams has the prestige as its more limited edition and is an icon. picked my new one up yesterday 8) and very happy. has a few mods inc. decat/filter/stage 1. i have previously had a 172 cup which on straight line performance is probably neck and neck. each car had the edge on certain parts of the rev range. a bit early for me to tell yet but the williams defo feels more characterful. the rs on the road is quicker than them both -fact. on track it is a laggy pain the arse. i dont see the argument here. the 182 is 10 years older and is bound to be quicker std vs std. there may not be a lot in it but it does have the edge. most the hot hatches have very little in it and the arguments about 'smoking' people are bullshit. a 20hp advantage doesnt mean shit in the real world and certainly wont allow you to overtake someone when your both giving it full beans. ps. big jim - picked my willy up from edinburgh - do you know it . its a willy 3 std looking. cant be many around up there. sorry about the paragraph. return button is broke.

Mattie
23-01-2006, 11:10
exactly why i only go on cliosport about twice a week when im bored!

this place and RSC are loads better IMO!

dito! only its prob twice a month wen im bored! lol

the 182 is quicker than the williams - fact - and so it should be

how so m8? not sayin ur wrong but it isnt fact as the comparason at the beginin of this thread shows!

Zollo
23-01-2006, 11:17
Blimey, I'm glad I never went on CS :shock:

To be fair to that Evogone, he's probably never had first hand experience of a Williams against a 182, so why would he believe a bunch of Williams owners over what the magazines say? Still sounds like an arrogant sod though..."From BA Exec lounge, don't you know" :roll:

malbon
23-01-2006, 12:07
tbh ive never driven a 182. i had a 172 cup and put a bmc cold take on there. which probably equated to something near what a 182 is. the fact is in real world terms the williams may be able to stay up with a 182. but im sure there are quite a few cars that are down on power which can keep up with the williams. there is absolute **** all in it when you are talking 20/30 bhp on the road. but point to point id say that my 172 cup 'felt' quicker than the williams and therefore the 182 would be quicker. the fact my williams isnt standard and still feels a little down in a straight line to the cup furthermore backs my way of thinking. dont get me wrong, i love my williams and wouldn't trade it in for my old cup but im certainly under no illusions that a willy is quicker. saying that iv only had it a day so i might be spouting bs.

2 live
23-01-2006, 12:19
it also depends on whether its a good williams or not.

no offence, but there can be time diffs of a second+ down the strip on some cars, take my willys for eg. the willy 1 was quicker std than the willy 2 chipped.

altho i do think the willy 2 felt better without the chip, which is wgy i later sold the chip.

but the willy 1 was still quicker than the 2

J o n
23-01-2006, 12:19
Malbon, that's the thing, there is so much variation... best person to speak to really is Mehdi, had 8 valvers and 5 hybrids, he knows how they vary from car to car... it can be ridiculous.

malbon
23-01-2006, 12:30
fair enough :D dont get me wrong its not slow :wink: i just think the power in the cup felt more accessible in lower accelerating speeds - time will tell i guess. up there are 80mph though if i accelerate hard 110 comes up in a flash - now that is impressive 8) downside is ive got some play in my steering which is getting looked at now along with some rattling brake pads. is play common and whats usually the cause :?: its on 86k.

J o n
23-01-2006, 12:57
never had a go against a Cup, wouldn't have any probs beating one though, unless it's Chris' or Neil E's... having said that Neil's was downhill at Crail (expect some MSN abuse of ya later now :wink: lol)

play in steering wheel means column is on it's way, so time for a newun or a spot of welding I reckon.

Craig
23-01-2006, 14:29
i raced timo and the fuker nearly had me in the white clio!!! i only started passing at 1/8th mile!

he was runnign slicks mind!

2 live
23-01-2006, 14:51
only times iv ever raced tim o....hes backed off after iv beat him off the line...........never really had a decent run with him. charlies cup was pretty quick as well....but i only had 1 race against him...and he blew the gearbox up 1/2 way down lol

Craig
23-01-2006, 14:57
aye he ran 14.1@96 on that run jon! i ran 13.9@103

his 60ft was a fair bit better like! hes run 13.9 in that tho aint he with teh slicks on?

2 live
23-01-2006, 15:02
yeah

Andyvalver
23-01-2006, 17:33
11 pages on cliosport :shock:

Chris n`nic
23-01-2006, 17:45
Actually the Cup Timo has had for about 12 months is Charlies...was the better one of the two they had so Timo got it when Charlie got his Focus

Chris

Tommo
23-01-2006, 17:59
tbh I couldn't care which is faster. I didn't buy my Williams to be able to beat 172's 182's etc. I bought it cos I like the rarity, looks and performance. I could've bought a 182 but I just don't like newer cars, it's not just Renault but all car manufacturers, they make them too big and podgy with too many comfort aids. This to me loses the appeal of what a hot hatch should be, which is small, light and basic with a big engine up front. The williams was the last of this breed. It just goes to show how bad things are when Golf produce a Turbo Diesel which is faster than the GTI's!!

If we are talking about performance comparisons though, I have driven my mates 172 cup which is pretty much standard apart from a magnex exhaust and K&N filter and it seemed slightly slower to me, altho my williams is pretty heavily modified. It's hard to judge though cos they deliver their power in very different ways.

katbloke
23-01-2006, 18:00
i personally couldnt give a toss whos is faster or what all i know is correct me if im wrong the williams is a future classic if not one already and due to the anount of 172s and 182s i dont think they ever will be, perhaps the v6 is the closest in that respect.

Dunno.......

Zollo
23-01-2006, 18:12
It just goes to show how bad things are when Golf produce a Turbo Diesel which is faster than the GTI's!!

Not any more! But yeah, those old Mk4 GTis were an embarrassment to the name though :x

J o n
23-01-2006, 18:35
can't believe that thread is still going tbh, surprised the mods aint locked it... either way we all know the outcome, the Williams will only lose if it's ****ed or tired. ask BozM off ClioSport, he saw what the back of a Willy looked like only briefly... unless he has amazing eye sight lol. Not to rub it in, but he was on his own, I was the passenger in my car with 2 full bags of luggage, helmets, 4 wheels and 4 tyres in the car... no, just think what the result would have been on my own... okay, I may not be standard, but was running at least over 100kg's over standard.

Plattsy
23-01-2006, 18:47
when i first got my hybrid it only had a panel filter for perormance and cat back exhaust for performance and a cock in a 172 was making comments about racing (thought it was a normal valver) we both booted it together and i did pull a good distance on it and at topend the distance just stayed the same i stopped pulling n he wasnt catching. i also raced a 182 which was Doigy off cliosport, i dont think he knew it was me though. he booted it off roundabout and got right on my arse as i started pulling but as soon as i got midway through second i was pulling away and he was giving chase! i left him but it pulled slightly better than the 172 but still couldnt catch me. his brakes wernt as good either lol. speedo read 125mph btw.... thats my first hand experience with both 172 and 182. never played with any cups though.

gozziee
23-01-2006, 18:59
just been on cs to read the thread and it has all kicked off on there just like it was said :lol: started reading it and it was 3 pages long and at last count it was 11 pages :mrgreen: it is worth a read

Lunner
23-01-2006, 19:01
Had a trophy behind me for a few laps at Anglesey till ia had to pit, was pulling iles on him through teh corners, and he was just about catching up down the straights, just for the braking point....wank if you ask me

Plattsy
24-01-2006, 01:33
jus bin art wi my mate in his valver and came across a willy3, hed just bought the car. went for a play and i left them both for dust.... is it normal for a valver to beat a willy cos he did until very top end like 115mph! mines a hybrid btw with full interior etc

Chris n`nic
24-01-2006, 01:50
Had a trophy behind me for a few laps at Anglesey till ia had to pit, was pulling iles on him through teh corners, and he was just about catching up down the straights, just for the braking point....wank if you ask me

To be fair tho thats more down to the driver than the cars m8....put a decent driver in a decent car against a slow/careful driver in a fast car and my money is on the decent driver every time...unless there are really long straights where the handling isn`t quite as important

Chris

Andy
24-01-2006, 08:24
my bird has a 172 cup it is quick never hads a do though

172 are no problems for the williams
172 cup ?
182 no probs
182 cup no probs again never seen any of thease go under 15.0

apart from the 172 cup

going on a standard car