PDA

View Full Version : Slick 50??

Tommo
17-03-2005, 13:22
Anybody ever put this in their engine, does it make much difference, might put some in when the willys due it's next service soon.

KingStromba
17-03-2005, 13:23
If you use a good quality oil it will already contain all the aditives it needs to clean and protect. Waste of money IMO.

Tommo
17-03-2005, 13:32
Well I use Mobil 1 which is just about the best so do you think it would be a waste of money if I'm using this type of oil. Apparently it contains PTFE which coats all moving parts and lasts the lifetime of the car...

Swervin_Mervin
17-03-2005, 13:33
Don't bother.

KingStromba
17-03-2005, 13:35
Spend the monet changing the oil more often.

NickFr
17-03-2005, 13:36
Had a big arguement with my old man about fully synthetic v standard oil. I read up extensively on the subject, result miles better, Mobil 1 was one of the very best!! I would personally never add anything else.

KingStromba
17-03-2005, 13:58
The big advantage with synthetic oil is that it has been chemically altered to withstand higher temps for longer and still maintain its lubricating properties. New, i doubt whether a synthetic oil is much better than a semi synthetic or even a non synthetic.

However as an oil get old, it loses its ability to maintain lubrication. When it gets black the oil is becoming chemically altered and as any good chemist knows, function is reliant on structure.

Synthetic oils allow the oil to last longer without this chemical breakdown. So you can abuse the oil (ie not change it so often) and it will still protect your engine. Synthetic oils also tend to have a stronger resistance to chemical breakdown by heat outside their normal ranges, so if your engine runs hotter than normal, a synthetic will give better protection for longer.

If you change your oil regularly, the choice of oil is less critical. Tuned engined tend to run hotter and therefore may need oil not specified by the manufacturer.

summeh
17-03-2005, 14:27
good article http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/gassing/topic.asp?t=163352&f=66&h=0

i'll be buying my oil off this guy from cliosport next oil change, he's got good prices aswell.

Tommo
17-03-2005, 14:34
Spend the monet changing the oil more often.

I change it every 3k miles anyway. Cheers for the info guys

KingStromba
17-03-2005, 14:47
Im not sure i agree with the science. Shear stress causes the molecules to align themselves with the direction of strain thus reducing viscocity. As far as i am aware it does not change long molecules to short molecules.

Can you change the fatty acid chain length of olive oil by beating it with a stick? No.

VIPERONE
17-03-2005, 19:05
only one oil for me :-) millers

KingStromba
17-03-2005, 19:11
Miller scmillers :D

mon
12-09-2005, 21:30
also in oil if you chage it too often it will do more harm than good.. some additves in oil only kick in the older then oil gets.. :!: i change mine every year but i only do 3k..

got this of a shell guy at the testing plant for there oils at stanlow were they have all makes of cars testing ther oils

kj16v
12-09-2005, 22:38
PTFE is a solid which suspended in those oil additives. From what I've read + common sense, it won't coat anything and'll just end up in the sump or being filtered out.