PDA

View Full Version : Quick Check list...

Rexy
18-01-2006, 20:02
Apart from the usual second hand car buying points what else should I be looking out for when buying a clio 16v?

I've forgotten eveything lol

Cheers in advance :wink:

Scott-16v!
18-01-2006, 20:09
rusty arches and sills, engine knocking.

debottomley
18-01-2006, 21:24
oil pressure levels and gear stick movement (engine/gearbox mount worn) oh and gear selection ease after its been booted

Laine_16v
18-01-2006, 21:48
I will talk from my experience when i hastily bought a Clio 16v which ive had to shed £100's on in repair. I will state everything that was wrong with mine so therefore you can have all bases covered :D

- Rusty sills as said beofre, really get underneath and look, ive been quoted £260 for new ones (fitted and painted). As mine were rotting.

- Rusty arches, mines arent thtat bad only very tiny bubbling on the surface. Give them a good yank to see if they are crumbling away (hopefully not :P )

- The thermostat, make sure the temp of the engine gets warm and stays there if you boot it dwn the motorway and the temp goes down the thermostat is knackered.

- Let the engine get hot and wait for the cooling fan to kick in, if it doesnt question why! Im having to replace the motor in mine £60 + 2 hours labour!

- The heater blower mine was broken. Rheostat and flug were corroded, £40 to replace and a few hours to do it. Check it works on all the speed settings.

- Do full lock on the steering while stationary. Listen for noisy PAS, any grinding in the steering wheel. Mine grinded and PAS sounded awful. Suspension strut bearings were knackered. £20 + A day to fit them.

- Look for rust under the boot carpets, and under the back seats. Mine has slight rusting under the rear seats, but very minor and nothing to worry about.

- Check the speedo, rev counter e.t.c works and all the bulbs work.

Thats all i can think of right now :shock: :D

Gav
18-01-2006, 22:05
EVERYTHING!! :shock:

Lunner
19-01-2006, 00:38
- Let the engine get hot and wait for the cooling fan to kick in, if it doesnt question why! Im having to replace the motor in mine £60 + 2 hours labour!

I ahve one sat in my garage you can have for £10 lol, and its no more than a 30 min job i wouldn't have thought, een if you do have to change the coolant and take the rad out

Fooking day to replace suspensionn tops, its prolly 30 mins absoloute tops, christ ic an lower a whole car including changing springs in an hour or 2.

You need to find another garage sounds liek they are ripping you right off

VIPERONE
19-01-2006, 01:08
when u looking? i may be able to come assist viewing

TriO`
19-01-2006, 02:20
leeky sunroof ?

Coops
19-01-2006, 02:24
if ur gonna buy one of these cars then be prepared to become a mechanic or they will bankrupt u!!! not jokin!!! when i got mine i joked with my mates it wud cause me meltdown n sure enuf fours months later blown head gasket!!! but same time av never had such a quality hobby than rebuilding the bugger!!! 8)

black williams
19-01-2006, 03:39
look out for play in the steering nown fault.........

Laine_16v
19-01-2006, 08:57

I ahve one sat in my garage you can have for £10 lol, and its no more than a 30 min job i wouldn't have thought, een if you do have to change the coolant and take the rad out

Fooking day to replace suspensionn tops, its prolly 30 mins absoloute tops, christ ic an lower a whole car including changing springs in an hour or 2.

They are a good garage. I shorted the pins myself aswell before thaking it to the garage. Its defo a knacakared fan motor, and they arent cheep. If i had have known you got one for £10 i would have bought it off you but they have ordered one in.

Oi i changed the suspension, and it wasnt the tops it was the bit underneath, ive never worked on a car before give me some credit! :P

Chris H
19-01-2006, 09:08
take a T 20 and take the rear door card things off, this will tell you its either a minter or a shitter at a glance, if you feel especially nasty poke large holes through any rust thats there then leave.

I mind I kicked a 1.4 years back cos the arch looked dodgy, about 2 squeare feet of filler fell off.

gtbloke
19-01-2006, 10:17
Main 16v faults i would say are :-

P.a.s pump/ also drivebelt and tensioners

Gearbox

dodgy electrics (most are dodgy)

knackered brakes and suspension

play in steering rack

and the usual clio rusty arches

engine is usually bulletproof if looked after

steveos_16valver
19-01-2006, 11:03
Remember kick the wheel just to make sure!!

Andyvalver
19-01-2006, 12:47
leeky sunroof ?

Never ever view a car in the rain :wink: Dont think the owner will wat you pouring water all over their car to check lol

Andyvalver
19-01-2006, 12:51
Make sure the engine sound ok with no knockin or owt.
Check the gearbox and make sure it changes gear smoothly.
Check the engine mounts as best you can.
Obviosly look at the bodywork.
Noisy power steering is common on valvers so i wouldnt worry too much.
Make sure you put it in a high gear and floor it to check for clutch slip as you dont want to be replacing it yet!
Play in the rack, check for that.

:D

Lunner
19-01-2006, 14:28

They are a good garage. I shorted the pins myself aswell before thaking it to the garage. Its defo a knacakared fan motor, and they arent cheep. If i had have known you got one for £10 i would have bought it off you but they have ordered one in.

Oi i changed the suspension, and it wasnt the tops it was the bit underneath, ive never worked on a car before give me some credit! :P

Sorry didn't realiske you had done the suspension, guess you mean the struts :P

I would still argue that chamging a rad fan is no way a 2 hour job

Laine_16v
19-01-2006, 18:55

Sorry didn't realiske you had done the suspension, guess you mean the struts :P

I would still argue that chamging a rad fan is no way a 2 hour job

Just as well ive just got back with the garage with a £63 bill :lol:

Only needed a new wire loom afterall aparently. No new motor 8)

Rexy
19-01-2006, 19:14
Well cheers for the info fella's...

Just to let you know i work in a body shop and repair car's vans all day long etc anyways so bodywork isnt really much of a problem.

I'll be giving it a good going over before I buy it, and post the outcome lol.

Gibbo, i'm going to look at it on saturday morning i think or saturday afternoon fella.

Gis a ring if your free. . .