PDA

View Full Version : Autosport and Williamsclio

northy
16-01-2006, 10:17
Was a really good show and one to definatly go to again next year.

I was shopping with the big boys yesterday and made my list of bits avaliable for the club.

Forged pistons.
Choice or Group A, Group N, extra tall for high compression and extra recessed for big valves
£500

Cams
Kent, Catcams & Blitz both had some lovely stuff. Catcams had some light weight flywheels avaliable apparently aswell....
£650 for pulleys and verniers.

Gearbox's
Sadev and Quaffe had some lovely stuff avliable if your wallet was big enough. But a LSD would have suited me.
£1000 for LSD £6000 for a race spec cracker

Coilovers
Too many companies to mention. But nearly everystand had some of some dscription.
£600 plus

Brakes
Made some good contacts and found a company to rival wilwood in design and style. This might be come a group buy.
£300 - £500 for a direct replacement service

Carbon fibre
Was a company there that would make patterns of your original parts. Didnt get chance to ask the price but they looked dear.

Throttle bodies
Omex and Emerald were lusted over.
No deals to be had though and i came away without any carrier bags.
No price as i forgot to ask.

Tyres
Trackday tyres were out in force .....pitty no discount was avaliable
£90 each

I found it hard that they dont do show discount anymore....whats all that about !

2 live
16-01-2006, 10:20
they dont do discount usually til the last couple hours of the final day of the show.....y do a sale wen ppl are prepared to pay top whack??

northy
16-01-2006, 11:05
just for promotion.

I asked and basically got told. Were a big company and do not dishonour our products by having a sale. lol

Pitty.

J o n
16-01-2006, 12:27
just for promotion.

I asked and basically got told. We're a big company and as such have adopted the "**** the little guy" attitude, as we can make more money and buy ourselves Porsches this way. lol

Pitty.

I read it slightly differently, but with same effect...

POWARTEK
16-01-2006, 14:04
£1000 for your LSD?

is that gold plated with encrusted diamonds?

get urself a ATB for £500.00

J o n
16-01-2006, 14:12
ATB's are not an LSD though, 2 different things. LSD's are better.

POWARTEK
16-01-2006, 14:18
correct, but the ATB is far superior to the LSD in a FWD

J o n
16-01-2006, 14:50
what advantage does the ATB offer over the LSD, from what I know of them they just sound like a watered down cheaper option of an LSD. ATB relies on your drive shaft too, or is it independent..? I forget... lol

still, for a grand I'd want the box rebuilding stronger with some sort of guarantee...

POWARTEK
16-01-2006, 15:23
the atb uses gears, instead of plates, that do wear out over time whihch also operates much smoother than a LSD. its also never locks completely either, simply biases the torque away from the spinning wheel across the axle. Much better at controling torque steer aswell.

POWARTEK
16-01-2006, 15:27
and for around £1000 you would get this fitted to your box aswell as a rebuilt box or £1200 gives u some lovely shot peened gears too.

J o n
16-01-2006, 15:48
right, thanks for the info, it's been a grey area in my mind for some time now... there's a post on it, but I think there were little in the way of replies with info.

what benifit does shot peening gears do, as all that is a type of snad blasting with less abrasive materials?

i'm quite interested in the whole gearbox thing, i'm on my 3rd one and it's on it's last legs... lol

POWARTEK
16-01-2006, 16:00
basically takes all the hair line cracks and little impurities off the surface of the gear which lead to cracks etc.

J o n
16-01-2006, 16:35
would be nice if they just replaced them with stronger better internals, can't really see that making any difference, as they suffer a short painful life most of the time hehe. ideally I'd like to buy a box I know i'll never have to replace in my time driving the car, they dont last 5 minutes as they are unfortunately... :(