PDA

View Full Version : Thermosat / Radiator Cooling Fan.

Laine_16v
15-01-2006, 19:21
OK, first of all does this sound like a naffed thermostat:

The temp gauge doesnt come on even after say a 15 minute run, not even off the bottom bar. Do these engines take a long time to warm up?

However if you do lots of little trips, within about 30 mins the gauge wrosk fine and goes all the way to the top of the norma (the very top of the normal )

However the cooling fan doesnt kick in which worrys me a lot. Are there any test i can do to check the cooling fan DOES work?

I read in hayned you can short a plug and the fan should kick into life, but it doesnt show where that plug is, is it on the ver side of the radiator?.

Any help would be much appreicated. I dont want an overheated car with a failed head gasket on my hands.

Is it a renault job to sort it out. I would prefer to do it asap.

Ive shorted the rad plug, didnt do anything, and one of the plugs on the thermostat (temp sender), which made the temp gauge shoot upto max (managed to brakes part of the plug aswell goddamit), but nothing would kick start the fan into action.

Lunner
15-01-2006, 19:58
You need to bipass the fan switch, or just run a length of wire formt eh bettery to the +ve on teh fan, and earth teh -VE and see if the fan cuts in.

Was gonna say that sounds like a dodgy temp guage, but could be that the stat is always open, take the housing off and take the stat out and have a look at ti, see if its shagged

Chris H
17-01-2006, 14:37
stats probably missing/stuck open or even if its feeling crazy actually broken apart.

As for the fan its probably not got hot enough to kick in. To get it working short the sensor on the rad out or if you can't be arsed reachign down there then short the anti perc plug out ont he thermo housing, its the lower one, this will put the fan and the aux pump on.

If the fan doesn't come on make sure its free to turn the fuses are ok and the relay isn't damaged.

dan-hipgrave
17-01-2006, 17:02
sorry to hijack the thread, but how is the fan assembly bolted to the radiator - mines loose in the engine bay and no bolts/self tappers seem to hold the frame to the radiator??

Chris H
17-01-2006, 17:03
2 bolts at the top of it if you have the black metal cage style fan.

dan-hipgrave
17-01-2006, 19:46
does it have to have spacers at all because ive tried bolting it on and the fan hits the radiator, so i disconnected it for now, which obviously gets to be a problem if i am sat in traffic....

Chris H
18-01-2006, 10:26
bend the fan frame, no spacers are used but they can get knocked about for oil filter changes etc and then cut into the rad fins. Just bend it back out to get clearence.