PDA

View Full Version : Need help with shocks

Clio_GTT
12-01-2006, 19:17
The counterhold on the top of the strut has rounded off and i now can't get the shock off the car :evil: when i just try and undo the top mount with a socket the whole thing spins :(

anyone got any ideas ?

BigBoreBri
12-01-2006, 19:22
Impact Wrench... :twisted:

Clio_GTT
12-01-2006, 19:27
don't have one matey. I don't need the old shock, reckon i could jack the wishbone up and make the shock poke out the strut top enough to cut it off ?

BigBoreBri
12-01-2006, 19:38
don't have one matey. I don't need the old shock, reckon i could jack the wishbone up and make the shock poke out the strut top enough to cut it off ?

Na mate, there's the top strut bearing in the way to stop the cylinder rod poking out...

If you blather it with WD and then jack car up so the spring is putting the damper under tension it might "might" just hold it place for you to loosen it... can't promise tho!

](*,)

Clio_GTT
12-01-2006, 19:40
:( might have to take it to the local tyre place and get em to impact em off, will be a dodgy ride home though :?

Clio_GTT
12-01-2006, 19:42
cheers for help anyway

BigBoreBri
12-01-2006, 19:49
No worries dude... you could always just get it lose and put it back on finger tight :wink:

Lunner
12-01-2006, 20:12
Heat ti up and melt the nylock insert and then lots of plus gas, and in conjunction with tehi pull up the dust covers and get a pair or couple of pauirs of mole grips on the piston.

If this fails get an impact wrench, Makro do tehm for £10+vat, or Argos do them for about £20, one of the most useful things i've brought.

Other option is take it to a local garage and get then to loosen them wiht the impact wrench and then tighten then back up tight hand tight and drive home dead slow

Clio_GTT
12-01-2006, 20:51
anyone know if the strut top mountings that gsf sell are the strut tops or the rubber doughnutts ?

Lunner
12-01-2006, 21:14
I reocn tehy will be a strut top set, consisting of the top plate, rubber 'doughnut' and the metal inner that goes between shock and rubber thingy

Thats the set Reno sell, near enough, might ahve missed a bit out

Chris H
13-01-2006, 09:29
drill

Lunner
13-01-2006, 18:49
Tried a drill on mine, i found the metal on teh top of the struts is that hard you are there for hours, much easier to use a cjheapie £10 impact gun....off wihtin 2 mins then 8)

Clio_GTT
13-01-2006, 18:49
had the full 8 bar of compression with an impact wrench and the fooker still refuses to come off, gonna just destroy it tmrw and buy a new en.

Another problem we've encountered is getting the middle arb clips back on, got one on in the end with a massive crowbar and we'll hopefully replicate that tmrw, reet barstool this is turning out to be. Needed the overhaul though tbf as the one shock was bent and the driveshaft was shagged plus every bolt and nut we've encountered has been rusted to high heaven.

FYI the track rod end has MILES of thread in the rack, about 50mm or more so no worries on the wide track.

Flan
13-01-2006, 22:32
arb bushes are cunts. i almost threw something at the car.. lol managed with a crowbar but that was with no engine in.. lol