PDA

View Full Version : Buying Advice Please

malbon
12-01-2006, 13:59
Hi,

2 weeks after viewing a mint Williams and poor George who was selling it crashing it on our test drive :roll: I am still none the closer to finding a little cracker.

I've got my eyes on a few cars - one in Edinburgh and one in London.

They are both Williams 3, one has 80 and the other 85k, both have had complete resprays and are in mint condition (apparently) and have lots of nice little extras, Coilovers, Brakes, Sounds, Hillpower gubbins etc...

My problem is that they are both between 4k and 5k. This is not so much the problem of affording it but justifying to myself that ill be paying such top money for relatively high mileage cars. I.e Ill put 10k miles on it and it will be on 100k miles - which puts a lot of buyers off anyway and reduces the value all of a sudden to 3k and under im guessing. I really dont want to lose 40% depreciation in a year on such an old car.

I wont settle for less than a minter Williams. What am I to do? I would happily pay the money for a 50k car as i know depreciation wont be that great. Its something i need to think of as i chop and change cars quite quick.

Your opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Jon

Gav
12-01-2006, 14:05
get ur dash out, get a drill out and wind ur clock back :D

nah imo most ppl know that mileage isnt everything, its how the car is looked after

mine says 140k on the clock but engine has only done 64k and everything underneith is brand new

malbon
12-01-2006, 14:09
...it doesn't bother me. Its just re-sale that bothers me

Jan
12-01-2006, 14:13
IMO you're probably guesing correctly on the depreciation mate and all the extras you mention never really increase the value of a car...

You'll stuggle to get much over 3k when they're showing 100k+ on the clocks... so try and haggle the price down

Mattie
12-01-2006, 14:20
high milage might put sum people off but its the condition of the car and as long as its been lukd after u shudnt have a problem sellin it m8, especially if u sell it on a site like this

if ur lukin 2 buy a mint williams, around 4 - 5k is about rite, think theres a few people on here who have paid around that price for theres

Swervin_Mervin
12-01-2006, 17:24
if ur lukin 2 buy a mint williams, around 4 - 5k is about rite, think theres a few people on here who have paid around that price for theres

I'd only pay that for a mint 1, never for a 2 or 3.

malbon
12-01-2006, 17:36

Interesting. I'm told the '2' is the one to go for. Improved on the '1' and without the uneeded sunroof and abs of the '3' ?

What are these cars worth paying considering they are mint ?

fab
12-01-2006, 17:38
I wont settle for less than a minter Williams. What am I to do?

Mint can be difficult to define.a car may be mint for one person however not so mint for another.

However,if you find an original unmolested full service history low mileage(below 50K) rust free and speedlines that do not require a refurb then expect to pay more than 5K.These are more likely to be found garaged and unused daily.
remember you are looking at a car thats been on the market over 13 years now.

Seems like anything else for you will be a compromise.

Swervin_Mervin
12-01-2006, 17:44

Interesting. I'm told the '2' is the one to go for. Improved on the '1' and without the uneeded sunroof and abs of the '3' ?

What are these cars worth paying considering they are mint ?

Not AFAIK. 2 is softer than 1 and 3 is a lot softer than 2.

malbon
12-01-2006, 18:01
Swervin - Interesting - must read up more about this. I thought it was just cosmetics and was led to believe that the '2' was the best having been improved on the '1' and with better rigitity (no s'roof) and lighter (no abs) than the '3'. But essentially they are all the same and it appears I cannot afford to be picky anyway about the model so **** it !

Fab - Mint defined as in well looked after. Preferably had a full respray with a receipt, clean engine bay, clean interior, wheels with the lip, receipts for cambelt, clutch and g'box maybe. Pref. only a couple of owners, Mileage im not overly fussed with tho must have FSH and ideally all MOT slips and not over 4 grand if mileage is approaching 100k ! The owner being an enthusiast and hopefully not wearing a white baseball hat with his phone hanging around his neck saying init after every sentence.

Not too much to ask for eh ? :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
12-01-2006, 18:04
Well, 1s will command the 4500+ figures I'd say, in mint condition.

If you're looking at 2 and 3s I'd say go around £3.5k for a minter, possibly £4k tops.

fab
12-01-2006, 18:04
Well if you keep what youve just written in mind you will find what youre looking for.plenty of em just be patient.

Dont be fussed either on the 123 saga.they all have the same chassis engine and cabin.and thats what its all about.Driving appeal.

matty
12-01-2006, 19:28
TBH you should be buying car because you love it, not worrying about resale value as that is never the reason you buy a car unless you change it frequently.

Would rather buy a car because I love driving it and get the most out of it than buy something dull just because it will be worth a few more £s come sell on.

malbon
12-01-2006, 19:44
Hi,

Its something i need to think of as i chop and change cars quite quick.

Jon

:lol:

BigBoreBri
12-01-2006, 19:46
Too true... with these cars its all about the driving! There not relativly cheap to buy or look after! :lol:

And there's no point worrying about 1,2,3 etc... there all basically the same! In term's of resale you will only get what someone is willing to pay! I payed £6k+ for mine and i think only a few handfull would really appreciate what its worth!

As with most renault's the pick of the bunch would be the one they never made! e.g A "2" in monaco blue with a few electric extras & a gold plaque... but as they never made one - TUFF! :wink:

Andyvalver
12-01-2006, 19:56
Get ya self on autotrader.co.uk chap. There are a few on there. eg.

1995 RENAULT CLIO 2.0 Williams Three 3dr Hatchback Special Eds,
Very rare car 1 of only 309 series3. 73k miles, MOT Sept, TAX Feb, 4 brand new tyres, new Cambelt/Clutch and other bits last April. VGC. Will be very missed. Am selling due to 2nd car. Located in Eastbourne Area. £3,600.

1993 RENAULT CLIO 2.0 16V Williams Renault Clio,
3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 55,000 miles, Metallic Blue, Remote Central Locking, Electric Windows, Power Steering, Alarm, Immobiliser, Alloy Wheels,Very Rare Limited Edition Number 339 Of Only 400 Ever Made,Kept To Original Specification Including Gold AlloysWilliams Badges And Ltd Edition Identification Plate On Dashboard,Remote Clifford Alarm,Absolutel Superb. £3,995

Nice^^ :P When ya find one pop down to chellaston mate :wink:

malbon
12-01-2006, 20:08
Call me a fussy bastard but the '3' owners only had it 9 months, the wheels are missing the lip and no mention of SH

The '1' has only 55k miles but has 5 owners. Maybe worth a call but is based down in Dorset which is a bit of a trek in the winter. Would also prefer a private sale so I can get the lowdown on the history of the car.

What do people think of the 4700 car on the trader. This is one of my shortlisted and ticks most of my boxes but again im unsure about paying top whack for so many miles ?

Andyvalver
12-01-2006, 20:10
You fussy bastard :lol:

Id buy one on 90k and save some cash, that way you wont lose as much either :wink:

BigBoreBri
12-01-2006, 20:17
[color=yellow]Sounds a bit much to me... :?

Dont know what others think but the wiliams stickers dont look right and a bit "close" to the trim to me... also if he's been puttin mobil1 in it he needs help or a slap! Perfectionist me thinks not... :lol:

Also williams umbrella and jacket??? Were they on the options list :-s

fab
12-01-2006, 20:29
yeah WTF?umbrella and jacket?
the most i got was a bottle of water :lol:
i'm afraid to comment on it cause its had paint work done on it and heaven knows how it looks like in real life.does it even look monaco blue?better ask northy.

there is a sweet lukin 1 at 2499.i called him the other day but the lazy bastard was in bed at 3 in the afternoon!
it will need money spent but may be worth a call.

12-01-2006, 21:50
I know a man who knows where there is a 56,000 mile williams 1 with 1 owner for sale. The guy wants around 4.5k.

By the way, the man with the details is King on f7power.

malbon
12-01-2006, 22:13
Really ? forward him my way. Im guessing this is a wind up related to that Stromba character though ?

12-01-2006, 23:54
He banned from here. But he has the details of every williams 1 advertised on trader for the last 2 years. He went to look at this one with his bird. Dont think he wanted to spend that much, not sure what condition was.There was a post about it on f7. Do a search you might find it.

malbon
13-01-2006, 00:38
Result. Just exchanged mails. Thanks Pat

Zollo
13-01-2006, 01:26

How? Where? Why? :?

Suspension setup the same. Power output/delivery the same. Throttle response the same. Gearing the same. Brakes the same. Build quality (or lack of) the same. How's the 2 softer apart from electric mirrors have been added?

Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer a 1 just for the plaque. But the 2 surely drives the same? And the 3 much the same too?

Chris H
13-01-2006, 09:41
5 grand and you can have my 19's, 2 ph1 16V chamades, ph1 16V hatch and a ph2 16V hatch executive. All mot'd at that price to.

2 live
13-01-2006, 10:53
williams 2 has door bars (meaning its also heavier) and a few other bits that the 1 didnt and a few things that the 3 didnt...

but the 2 and 3 are missing the vital bit......the plaque hehe :wink:

and as for re-sprays......personally id rather see what i was buying, not see what someones covered up....mechanically these cars arent really a problem as long as ur willing to get ur hands dirty....my advice....get the best bodywork one u can...in original unpainted form.

Swervin_Mervin
13-01-2006, 11:17

Suspension setup the same. Power output/delivery the same. Throttle response the same. Gearing the same. Brakes the same. Build quality (or lack of) the same. How's the 2 softer apart from electric mirrors have been added?

Don't get me wrong, I'd much prefer a 1 just for the plaque. But the 2 surely drives the same? And the 3 much the same too?

I meant as in heavier.

Chris H
13-01-2006, 12:45
^which means it is softer, softer ride anyway.

Same with the ph1 and ph2 19 16V's.

the joys of weight.

fab
13-01-2006, 15:27
I tend to agree with andyvalver.buy cheap so you can get out cheap if it doesnt suit you.
the majority of them need work regardless so you may aswell limit your loss.

FATBOY
13-01-2006, 20:10
I wont settle for less than a minter Williams. What am I to do?

Mint can be difficult to define.a car may be mint for one person however not so mint for another.

However,if you find an original unmolested full service history low mileage(below 50K) rust free and speedlines that do not require a refurb then expect to pay more than 5K.These are more likely to be found garaged and unused daily.
remember you are looking at a car thats been on the market over 13 years now.

Seems like anything else for you will be a compromise.

does that exist????? after 10/13 years of constant/partial road use you telling me that theres a set of speedlines on a williams be it 1,2,3 that do not require refurbing??? it only takes a small chip on the paint for the damp and wet to get underneath the paint and make it peel! (0001 is an exception tho :wink: )

malbon
13-01-2006, 20:19
easy now.

Dont mind if someone else has refurbed them ! - or if someone has had the car resprayed. As long as the wheels are in the right gold shade with the lip and the respray is done by someone who knows what they are doing and is the right shade then rock on !

Basically I want a car where all the work has been done because

a. I can afford it.
b. I haven't got the time to piss around doing all these little jobs myself.

Not such a big request eh ??

....though seems to be proving to be !. Awaiting replies on emails !

fab
13-01-2006, 20:24
fatboy youve gotta look further a field than the UK and you will find some exceptional examples.Very original and very likely the original wheels.
saw a couple of swiss champions in a garage in monaco and i tell you they where ****ing gorgeous.i'd even prefer one to 0001!!
its the UK weather that is corroding the willy in the UK.the UK models are awful for salty roads damp and RUST! :wink: So you better take care of them!!

FATBOY
13-01-2006, 20:57
fatboy youve gotta look further a field than the UK and you will find some exceptional examples.Very original and very likely the original wheels.
saw a couple of swiss champions in a garage in monaco and i tell you they where f***king gorgeous.i'd even prefer one to 0001!!
its the UK weather that is corroding the willy in the UK.the UK models are awful for salty roads damp and RUST! :wink: So you better take care of them!!

agreed!!!! thats why mine hardly gets used in the winter!!!!bloody awful salty grit shite!

fab
13-01-2006, 21:12
but in all fairness the ones I saw @ the anglesey track day where/are very very tidy!think gaz still has original speedlines.possibly northy aswell.richy's must be also as he uses every other wheel except his original ones!
search Malbon and you will find.but you will throw money at it no matter what you buy. 8) best of luck.

Andy
14-01-2006, 10:05
mine are original so are gazs but they are far from perfect semi mint :lol:

fasterthanjesus
14-01-2006, 11:14
"you will throw money at it"

amen to that.

Zollo
14-01-2006, 19:11

I meant as in heavier.

Fair enough!