PDA

View Full Version : TB clio unleashed, running a bit strange

Craig
11-01-2006, 17:37
it passed the MOT today! (emissions bypassed)

iv not driven it for 3 month, other than starting it up weekly or fortnightly and letting it warm up!

anyways, took it out for fuel, and bearing in mind its running quite rich, and iv not driven it at all for nearly 3 months, it was slightly hesitant and popping like fuk all the time! even popping from the throttle bodies! and smoking a little as well at higher revs (white smoke)

after some fresh optimax and a thrash it was spot on and how it should be for the rest of the journey!

anyways later on took it for MOT. Drove there spot on, but on way home it was the same as earlier, popping like mad all the time, and hesitant when i put any gas on! sounded like a proper rally car, but just wasnt driving rate!

again i had a slight detour, after a thrashing it was fine for the rest of the journey home!

im doing a full oil and filter change on sat, but anything that could be causing this? considering its been stood for a long time! it was spot on before it went off the road!

im guessing it just needs some thrash to clear it all out! but id rather do the oil chage first before going mad! and i dont want to blow the fuker up by thrashing it when its not quite right!

but.....when it was running fine, fuk me it was fast lol! seriously fast! i was shaking like fuk when i got home after some country lanes!!

its got 185's on at the mo, and it was spinning at 70 in 3rd if you planted it! not a prayer i can run these tyres at pod!

Scott-16v!
11-01-2006, 17:39
i haven't a clue whats up with it but it sounds like a right beast! :twisted: :P

northy
11-01-2006, 17:48
it is quick.

Ive raced it at the pod.

Think it did a mid 13 to my 14.9 lol was unreal to see it pull away.

best ask ben what he thinks as he knows the car inside out

stew
11-01-2006, 18:12
no idea mate.

you checked for anything blocking the ITB's? Clean the filter may help. Sounds like its an airflow problem rather than anything else?

Give it a good service :

Oil
Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Clean air filter

BenR will know whats wrong tho!

Glad you've brought it back out! :twisted: :twisted:

Craig
11-01-2006, 18:17
iv recently cleaned and oiled the filter for the bodies! i might have over oiled it i suppose!

oil and filter on sat, and a good flush. will see how it runs then!

i just thought after the initial thrash when it was spot on it would be ok from then on!

wasnt expecting to happen again!

fuel filter is a good suggestion as well mate, that fuel had been in there 3 month!

oh yeh and its doing about 15mpg too lol

Daz.
11-01-2006, 18:26
See I think your harsh keeping that engine all to yourself...

Think we should start a ten year loan group where we all get the engine in our cars...

I'm first.

See you in 2016 mother bitchez!

:D

Anders
11-01-2006, 18:53
If they are still injection throttle bodies then I would say that either the throttle petentiometer is loose or ill fitting thus causing irregular readings, or maybe you need a re-map?

Check this by seeing if you have a full range of throttle linkage movement, and see if your petentiometer (throttlepot) is calibrated to the same range of movement.

Another thing to check is the ignition amplifier, and see if the thing is attached correctly and has good contact with the heatsink. If its getting too hot then it could lead to problems too.

stan
11-01-2006, 20:31
i'd imagine the throttle pot will be fine, and it defo wouldnt need a remap!

Craig, take the plugs out and clean them. guaranteed the will be heavily fouled. its because you have only been starting it up=lots of enrichment=fouled plugs. mines does it.

Craig
11-01-2006, 20:39
cheers Craig!

ill get them cleaned on Saturday!

stew
11-01-2006, 21:00
good thinking stan man!

:wink:

Chris H
12-01-2006, 09:24
if the plugs are petrol fouled then change them, they will never be right again, they never are.

Craig
12-01-2006, 10:49
will do chris!

they probably are considering how rich its running!

hopefully dropping ot off with ben this weekend

clean16v
12-01-2006, 12:44
Hi mate, glad to see it's still putting a smile on your face!

The HT leads, as they are not suited for this car, had a tendancy to come loose. First thing i'd do is check them all.

Secondly, the car never did like to be floored from low revs as to how wild the cams are....but you know this i'm guessing?

Craig
12-01-2006, 12:47
yeh i checked teh leads, they are on, but like u say they arent ideal as they pull off really easy!

i need to get round to ordering some custom ones!

yeh it doesnt like too much throttle under 4krpm, or it floods a bit! hopefully once lamba is setup rate, plugs and oil changed, and its had a few tweaks it'll be ok!

Mattie
12-01-2006, 15:28
sounds like mine, b4 i bought it the car had been standin 4 around 3 months! it had a service and changed all the plugs and it was all better :)

b4 the plugs were changed though i tuk a look at them and there was alot of residue on them!