PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Car?

09-01-2006, 10:59
Sorry to take this from a rival site, but worth putting up to save someone some cash. This is quoted from Stromba:

Went to view this car yesterday.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1995-RENAULT-CLIO-WILLIAMS-2-BLUE_W0QQitemZ4603144581QQcategoryZ9861QQrdZ1QQcmd ZViewItem

Do not waste your time. The chassis number has been ground off the suspension turret and the V5 number does not match the oval plate number. Someone please direct Gunner Gibson to this post. I have the guys address. The Reg plate is M9 MSH.

In addition, i do not think it has cams as claimed. There is an idle problem, but it is not a lumpy idle as if it had cams. The revs slowly rise up to around 2k and then suddenly drop to 500, it nearly stalls and then it repeats the cycle. It only does it when cold and when it begins to heat up idles normally. The up down idle cysle takes approximately 4 seconds.

In addition the guy was lying. My guess is he has realised its possibly stolen and is selling it, or bought it knowing it is and is selling it on. I asked him how long he had had the car and he claimed 8 months, yet the service stamp from 18 months ago is also from his local 'riply' garage. I asked him why if he had only had it 18 months does the service book show he has had it 18 months to which he stuttered and blurted out he had bought the car but not registered it. I told him it was not him who registered the car, but the previous owner by sending the old v5 to the dvla, to which he did not have an anwser. He has no receipts for any work done (powersteering pump, cams, water pump, cam belt) and personally i think it has had none done. The history is minimal.

He also got the mileage wrong. It has done 130,000 on the clocks (claimed 150,000) and i think it has been clocked.

Hope this saves someone buying an illegal dog. Please feel free to post on other sites.

Rich
09-01-2006, 11:20
aye was reading this too, seems like a job for gibbo :wink:

northy
09-01-2006, 11:48
If it was stolen then i doubt they would have ANY service history to show with the car.

I NEVER keep history inside a car for this very reason.

The number could have been removed for other reasons aswell.

(accident damage, resprayed ???)

stew
09-01-2006, 11:49
187hp atw! LMAO

thats roughly 217bhp! :shock: LOL

What an idiot. He should be reported to ebay...and the police!

fab
09-01-2006, 12:04
This is quoted from Stromba:Went to view this car yesterday.

o how the mighty have fallen. :lol:
what the fook was stromba doin lukin at ringed cars from ebay for?youd think he'd know better than to go look at that trash :roll:
no offence meant BTW.

Rich
09-01-2006, 12:18
fab wtf are you on about? it was an ebay auction and anyone could have been interested and looked at it!
ffs some people on here need to get a life instead of insulting people!
and if you meant no offence would you have posted that in the first place?

northy
09-01-2006, 12:35
i dont think its fair to judge the car until you have seen it in person lads.

Mattie
09-01-2006, 12:41

ditto....

however thanks 4 the warnin Pat Symonds_Williams3 AND stromba, no matter who the infos cum from im sure all warnings of this type are welcome!

Rich
09-01-2006, 12:50

ditto....

however thanks 4 the warnin Pat Symonds_Williams3 AND stromba, no matter who the infos cum from im sure all warnings of this type are welcome!
exactly my point! not gonna go off on a tangent about this but the shitty comments wouldnt even be dreamt of if someone else off here put the thread up

J o n
09-01-2006, 13:14
not 0002 is it? :roll: :wink: :lol:

fab
09-01-2006, 13:33
bloody hell Rich.you have your periods or something?
My snipe(if thats what you want to call it)is directed at buying cars from ebay and not Stromba.
In fact I actually remarked that(he should of known better)because I do actually regard some of his posts on this forum at times.

look at the photos of that car.instantly it tells you stay away as its sitting on wet ground.
ebay IMO is full of con artists.

Rich
09-01-2006, 13:38
bloody hell Rich.you have your periods or something?
not at all
My snipe(if thats what you want to call it)is directed at buying cars from ebay and not Stromba.
In fact I actually remarked that(he should of known better)because I do actually regard some of his posts on this forum at times.
why is that? can he tell things from pictures that do not show what he discovered?
look at the photos of that car.instantly it tells you stay away as its sitting on wet ground.
so if your car is on wet ground in a picture its shit? it couldnt be where you live or where you were at the time of pictures (ie campsite ect)
ebay IMO is full of con artists.
I agree on the car description front as most are not 100% truthful

fab
09-01-2006, 13:55
I go by my instinct and follow these simple rules:

1.never by a car in the rain.
2.never (again)buy one from ebay.
3.the more a person describes a car the worse it is.
4.If it is a private sale the photos will never lie.notice if the seller has any photos lukin up at the car and not down on it.
If the photos are looking up at it then you know the seller respected/respects it.

these are my rules and lessons ive learnt from my experience of buying cars.

Tommo
09-01-2006, 14:13
This is quoted from Stromba:Went to view this car yesterday.

o how the mighty have fallen. :lol:
what the fook was stromba doin lukin at ringed cars from ebay for?youd think he'd know better than to go look at that trash :roll:
no offence meant BTW.

I think he wants a cheap williams or valver to use as a track car, ebay can be a good place to get a bargain

fab
09-01-2006, 14:30
fair enough.if hes reading then ask him to take a look at these.

http://cars.uk.freeads.net/1994_L_reg_RENAULT_CLIO-185128.htm

http://cars.uk.freeads.net/1986_D_reg_RENAULT_5-180976.htm

they are bargains to me. :wink:

Gav
09-01-2006, 14:43
all the arguments.....its like cs in here lads! :shock:

fab
09-01-2006, 14:46
nah no arguements junior.Just healthy old banter.
Its difficult sometimes to see where a person is coming from with posts but I can honestly say hand on my heart I wish bad on nobody.

Rich
09-01-2006, 15:05
aye gav no argueing, just an adult debate filled with banter :wink:

Smokey McPot
09-01-2006, 19:27
ho ho ho......

FATBOY
09-01-2006, 19:42
must admit! never buy a car of e bay! i met the guy halfway in london! he bought it via transporter(dodgy straight away) got halfway home and the big end bearings went!!!! £250 tow home!!! lol learnt my lesson!

Justin..
09-01-2006, 20:23
:o crikeys.

Gav
09-01-2006, 21:15
brought mine off ebay also

well....u've all seen my rebuild post

i say no more :cry:

Justin..
09-01-2006, 21:17
:shock: i must be lucky or summat [-o<

*pegs it down the road for lotto ticket :lol:

smokey
09-01-2006, 21:21

In a country where we get rain 3/4 of the year :?
Whys that? I have bought my RT, 172, 182 & Transit off of ebay and have sold my 172 & 182 again on ebay and never had a single problem
That right is it? My ebay advert when selling the 182 http://homepage.ntlworld.com/erranj/
4.If it is a private sale the photos will never lie.notice if the seller has any photos lukin up at the car and not down on it.
Not True, photo's can be deceiving
If the photos are looking up at it then you know the seller respected/respects it.
I have non of mine looking up....Does that mean I dont respect it??

Gav
09-01-2006, 21:24

Whys that? I have bought my RT, 172, 182 & Transit off of ebay and have sold my 172 & 182 again on ebay and never had a single problem
That right is it? My ebay advert when selling the 182 http://homepage.ntlworld.com/erranj/

was u supposed to write something after the quote mate lol?

smokey
09-01-2006, 21:27
Nope :?

Gav
09-01-2006, 21:34
oh :oops:

Justin..
09-01-2006, 21:36
lol
:roll:

fab
09-01-2006, 21:41
Does it rain 24/7 where your from?

never a single problem?what about the buyers?

take a good look at your advert.everything is from the sales brochure or tech spec.the only description YOU give it is
"With only 20300 miles on the clock this car is 'yet' to have it's first problem and the only trip to the Dealers was for its 1st service. The car has been faultless in the 12 months of ownership"

So can sellers.

take a look again at your cup advert.did you not bend down to take some of those pics?

Gav
09-01-2006, 21:43
Nope :?

oh wait now i see what u have done :wink: sorry matey

Tommo
09-01-2006, 23:03
I don't see the big thing about buying cars off ebay, as long as you don't buy the car without seeing if first. You can always walk away if you're not happy. I think if you use common sense when viewing a car and make sure you do all the necessary background checks it can be a good place to get a bargain.

Zollo
09-01-2006, 23:15
Yeah, I got my Williams from ebay. And my motorbike.

So long as you view it before commiting to buy, it's no different from buying from Autotrader.

fab
09-01-2006, 23:58
You said the right thing.at the end of the day its "The buyer"that needs to be aware and not get conned into a ringer or other.Doesnt matter where its at.

You know Matt you knew that car before you bought it off ebay :wink: and if I remember correctly my theory is correct about the photos of it.some were taken looking up or at car height if i remember well.

Zollo
10-01-2006, 00:09
You know Matt you knew that car before you bought it off ebay :wink:

I was hoping you wouldn't remember that :P

I treat ebay like Autotrader, and just use it for viewing cars. Very few people won't sell it off of ebay for the right price. I would never recommend bidding on a car from there without seeing it anyway.

NickFr
10-01-2006, 01:30
Seems like a nice gesture from KS to let everyone know. You can get ripped off anywhere!...as I know from bitter experience :roll:

case
10-01-2006, 02:43
just out of intrest, the first post said the chassis number had been ground off. where abouts is it? is it the number on the top of the susspension strut?

like others have said i'd use e-bay to simply find a car to go and view, and wouldn't buy without seeing first. Saying that i did buy a brand new bike through ebay without viewing but that had a warrenty and returns policy.

Mark

Purple
10-01-2006, 04:25
Yeah, I got my Williams from ebay. And my motorbike. So long as you view it before commiting to buy, it's no different from buying from Autotrader.
Actually, IMO, for those in UK - forums like this is the best tool for "advance viewing" of any items published on ebay, autotrader etc. Simply ask a forum member living close to the seller to pop over for a viewing with a digital camera. Older cars like ours are getting fewer and fewer by the month; you can't afford to pass up on anything. Still have to check it out first, even if they turn out to be a pile of heap in the end.

northy
10-01-2006, 09:03
One thing i find funny though.

If its a stolen car - which i doubt.

Why would they remove the chassis number only and leave the rest of the plates (above the headlight) with all the model numbers on still on the car ?????

Doesnt make sense.

Id say its been removed due to repair.

10-01-2006, 11:56
Since posting this Stromba has recieved an email from another ebayer and Renault owner stating that this 'chap' has sold cars under false pretenses before. There is currently an ongoing 'battle' between 3 parties concerning V5 log book irregularities.

The car has a ground off chassis number, a V5 that doesnt contain the letter C57M and an oval plate that doesnt match the log book. Added to he fact that ther service book doesnt tie in with his ownership claims, the cheapness of the car and the fact that this person has dont this sort of thing before, indicates that this car is not what it is said to be. The car has also had a number plate change in the past from one 'M' reg to another 'M' reg. I see no reason to do this either unless something was trying to be hidden.

Whether you want to argue its stolen or not, the facts strongly point to something illegal at some point in its past. I say thanks to Stromba for making people aware of this car. The Police have been informed.

northy
10-01-2006, 12:04
no one has argued if its stolen or not - just asking questions. I have not seen the car myself so im trying to find out more info.

VIPERONE
10-01-2006, 15:21
all in hand .

Andy
10-01-2006, 20:21
Since posting this Stromba has recieved an email from another ebayer and Renault owner stating that this 'chap' has sold cars under false pretenses before. There is currently an ongoing 'battle' between 3 parties concerning V5 log book irregularities.

The car has a ground off chassis number, a V5 that doesnt contain the letter C57M and an oval plate that doesnt match the log book. Added to he fact that ther service book doesnt tie in with his ownership claims, the cheapness of the car and the fact that this person has dont this sort of thing before, indicates that this car is not what it is said to be. The car has also had a number plate change in the past from one 'M' reg to another 'M' reg. I see no reason to do this either unless something was trying to be hidden.

Whether you want to argue its stolen or not, the facts strongly point to

something illegal at some point in its past. I say thanks to Stromba for

making people aware of this car. The Police have been informed.

hit a nerve have we have a word mate no neeed to fly of the handle :roll:

Gav
10-01-2006, 21:19
is pat related to Stromba or something? :?

Andy
14-01-2006, 10:10
was thinking that strange

14-01-2006, 11:20
Im no relation to stromba, but ive been round his house a couple of times as hes using my alloys to try out his new lathe.

Couldnt turn down a free refurb