PDA

View Full Version : brakes again

Jamie.
09-01-2006, 10:07
coming home from a cs meet yesterday i was going about 100 and broke really quite hard to a stop.... the brake pedal went unusally 'far' down. and after that incident i now get a grinding noise when braking. usually i would think that it was the brake pads, however, when i swapped my alloys over a few weeks ago there was a decent amount of pad left on the brakes. the only bad thing was the discs were a bit rusted around the rim. it seems to 'grind' when braking from high speed now as well. i.e. u cant just here the noise at 10/20/30/40 mph.

suggestions please............

Mattie
09-01-2006, 10:13
mine grind sumtimes as well...usualy wen brakin hard - my disks are warped could this be anythin 2 do with the grindin noise?

are urs warped Jamie?

Jamie.
09-01-2006, 10:24
well it would have been that one particular instance yesterday that would have 'done it'. the brake pedal went v far down too. if only marks kit were 300 id buy one with discs now.

fab
09-01-2006, 10:29
yep wouldnt mind a set myself.

northy
09-01-2006, 10:38
did the abs cut in ???

Dont forget you have 8 pads to check.

Jamie.
09-01-2006, 10:42
did the abs cut in ???

Dont forget you have 8 pads to check.

8? i just looked at brake pads when wheels were off lol.

northy
09-01-2006, 10:54
u have two on each corner mate.

A bit of gravel might have been thrown up and stuck causing the grinding noise.

Jamie.
09-01-2006, 11:07
has anyone tried another brake kit apart from marks? something around the 300mark with discs included?

northy
09-01-2006, 11:10
Nick read - HiSpec
Martin - BB Tunnings big disk conversion
Williams2 - 6pot tarrox disks at the front and 4 pots rear

Jamie.
09-01-2006, 11:21
are those within the £300 budget mark?

stew
09-01-2006, 11:32
most likely NOPE!!

Uprating the discs and pads will be sub 300, but whats the point really?

marks Wilwood kits are where its at. 4 pots/6 pots offer far better braking than the standard 2 pots!

northy
09-01-2006, 11:33
BB tunnings kit is jamie

most brake kits start at £400 +

Jamie.
09-01-2006, 11:44
better get the missus on the corner to help pay for this shit lol.im really tempted by marks kit as it was abt 360 with everything. hmm. does he come on here anymore?

northy
09-01-2006, 11:46
he comes on for a look but thats it.

His contact details can be found on our links page.

Jamie.
09-01-2006, 12:47
cheers for ur help northy

richy
09-01-2006, 19:51
i dont think mark is doing kits no more, bayliss has been struggling to get hold of him to sort them out, ended up using someone else to sort bits out!

rallydesign do a 300mm wilwood midilite kit, but no hoses inc about £500+vat

Lunner
09-01-2006, 20:02
I was trying to get hold of mark for a few bits, left messages for him etc etc with some woman btu never heard anything

Jamie.
10-01-2006, 10:00
ive rung him and emailed him but nothing too. what other options do i have? i didnt mind spending 360 or what ever it is on those wilwoods..... but if i cant get them there where else can i get them for similar price? anyone got any links to some other brake kits?

Jamie.
10-01-2006, 10:03
http://www.bbperformancetuning.co.uk/Products/default.asp?type=dept&DepartmentID=7985&MID=

this is all BB have? no 4pots?

northy
10-01-2006, 10:04
make them yourself,

Second hand calipers from ebay
universal mounts from rally design
few nuts and bolts and a set of disks.

Bet u could do it for under £300.

mattyc
10-01-2006, 11:47
When upgradeing to 4pots or what ever, do you need to upgrade all the hoses? also can you just have 4 pots on the front, and move the current front discs to the back?

Lunner
10-01-2006, 11:58
IIRC you need longer hoses.

Could move froint brakes to back if you can get the front calipers to mount up on the back ok

richy
10-01-2006, 19:45
its not worth trying to fit front discs to the back! wouldnt bother

jamie as northy says have a look on ebay etc for some wilwood dynalites then get the brackets made up and get std discs etc

btw u need extented front hoses to fit the 4pots need to be 2" longer then std hoses, braided would be a better idea while ur swapping them anyway!

Clio_GTT
10-01-2006, 20:04
could even use the wilwoods on a larger disc, can get 285 discs from a renault 21 TXE and get some extender brackets fabricated like the ones k-tec sell.

richy
10-01-2006, 20:08
could even use the wilwoods on a larger disc, can get 285 discs from a renault 21 TXE and get some extender brackets fabricated like the ones k-tec sell.

yup, i think northy has the std 172 discs with his kit and slightly bigger brackets

Lunner
10-01-2006, 20:08
Yeah but that means running larger wheels, 280mm is the largest you can get away with under willy wheels iirc

Clio_GTT
10-01-2006, 20:45
got a link to northy's kit ?

lunner thats what 16" superl's are for ;)

richy
10-01-2006, 20:50
nope, no link for northys kit, but im sure he could post some info up etc regarding his kit, my kit runs std disc size

Clio_GTT
10-01-2006, 21:08
whats your kit then ? what sort of compound can you get for the wilwoods ? as i had my heart set on some pagid blues.

richy
10-01-2006, 22:14
mines wilwood dynalite 4pot kit, brackets to fit std williams size discs and braided hoses are 2" longer then std hoses, and ferodo discs.

The pads i run at the moment are wilwood poly E, which are fast road/track use(0-900 'F iirc), they do a poly A set which are endurence etc pads (450-1400 'F ) and a few others like poly D/poly B and poly Q

out of other makes ive seen ferodo do the ds2000/ds2500/ds3000 for them to, i think mintex do some but not sure which, im sure if you looked about you would see alot more sets, the dynalite is quite a popular kit from what ive seen.

couldnt say if they did pagid blues for them myself, yozza might know though!!
:)

northy
11-01-2006, 09:03

yup, i think northy has the std 172 discs with his kit and slightly bigger brackets

I did have 172 group n disks as supplied by ritchspeed, but ive now altered the set up slighly. As the front disks were very heavy over standard williams and i was worried about upsetting the handling.

Ive still not fitted any of this following list lol.

Ritchspeed vs northys spec

wilwood dynalite 4pot caliper
custom mounting caliper brackets
wilwood poly E trakday pads
custom widening spacers to space calipers out from williams width to fit over the wider 172 disks
custom group n 172 front disks
custom extened front hoses
Goodridge rear hoses

At the rear i have some tarox sport japan disks, with ferodo ds pads.

northy
11-01-2006, 09:07
whats your kit then ? what sort of compound can you get for the wilwoods ? as i had my heart set on some pagid blues.

PAgid blues are well expensive pal....i handled yozza's set but never driven on them. (£120 plus)

Wilwood poly E opperate great from cold and get better as they get warmer. 0 - 900° ! carnt beat the value for money

Chris H
11-01-2006, 10:23
Best brakes in my opinion are standard! 4 pots etc always fail to deliver in my book.

A properly set up and fully operational stock set up is more than adequate.

Anyway as for the griding, you checked the pads but you never took them out, make sure 1 pad hasn't seperated from its metal backing, this happens more than you think!

northy
11-01-2006, 10:34
Best brakes in my opinion are standard! 4 pots etc always fail to deliver in my book.

A properly set up and fully operational stock set up is more than adequate.

Anyway as for the griding, you checked the pads but you never took them out, make sure 1 pad hasn't seperated from its metal backing, this happens more than you think!

Ive been in some very good standard braked cars and ive been impressed.

But im my case money to bring the stock set kit upto scratch with what i want and eliminate brake fade on track days would have cost me more than 4 pots would have and many a attempt to better.

Standard single pot calipers cannot get rid of the heat aswell as 4 pots.
Ritchspeed tryed every combination and failed untill he fitted 4 pots. Never once let him down.

Each to there own though chris - but for me - mine are crap, abs makes it worse and 4 pots are lighter :D

Zollo
11-01-2006, 10:48
Exactly the same position as me ^^^

My standard brakes weren't lacking in power, but they just couldn't cope with long track sessions... Leading to a complete disintigration of the brakes at Donington. As I would have needed new discs, pads, and calipers anyway, I thought I may as well go with the 4-pots as they're not that much more.

And they weigh a bit less too :)

northy
11-01-2006, 10:58
post a picture of your pads after donnington zollo...still in shock how they looked :D

Chris H
11-01-2006, 10:59
its not so much thats the stock gears crap, the heat issue is very true, ph1 19's don't have this issue as there is brake ducts into the wheel tubs which force air in to cool it down.

Wheels and so on affect things greatly.

I know what you mean but theres ways round it, you could make brake ducts and they will cool down the brakes a lot.

Teh 19's liek I said have the ducts but you can enhance them greatly with flexy pipe and a nozzle.

Rears are even easiet, a scoop then wount the pipe into the rear back plate.

ABS needs binned if you are serious about stopping.

Zollo
11-01-2006, 11:28
My brakes after Donnington...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/Zollo/Pads.jpg

These were checked the day before the track day, and had 25% left.

I was in two minds whether to use the 4-pots or standard with better pads, fluid and hoses, with cooling ducts (though I don't want to remove the fogs). But as I needed to renew the whole setup and still wasn't guaranteed the endurance of the 4-pots, I decided against standard.

Clio_GTT
11-01-2006, 11:28
Demon tweeks sell those brake ducts for quite cheap along with the flexi tubing to make some tasty coolers. how much bigger are the 172 discs ? and are they worth the upgrade over std size, with the unsprung weight in mind ?

northy
11-01-2006, 11:33
ABS side is handled by removing the fuse chris....brakes stay the same but remain at full force where as before the abs would have been cutting in and pulsing the pedal and backing off the braking force.

Chris H
11-01-2006, 11:41
the modulator is still there and impeded them. At least you don;t have the crappy lethal bendix ABS set up!

Get a shot in a non abs car and you will feel the difference.

richy
11-01-2006, 20:26
have to be honest my std brakes were shockingly bad! really wouldnt of been able to stand up to trackdays, was shocked to see the difference that yozzas valver std brakes was like compared to my old std ones!, thats reason why i went for 4pots, done several trackdays and not had a single problem miles better then my old std ones!