PDA

View Full Version : Might Be Selling... Need you're advice people!

Mish_16V
08-01-2006, 19:09
In the next few months I may sell my valver... :(

it's being used too much for what it is and not driven enough for pleasure, i'm after something newer (obviously not as fun) but maybe going to look at a newer 106 Gti from a dealer or similar that I can get with a warranty. I don't want to keep racking up miles on such a classic car which is mint at the moment.

I've just been talking through with my dad and i'm in a comfortable financial position to get a nice low mileage Gti or similar even on finance with a warranty, that will hopefully be less trouble than the valver and less to worry about whilst using it everyday.

Those of you who know me by now and have seen pictures etc will understand how much the car has changed since I got it and how much I absolutely love the car to bits...but i'd rather it was bought by an enthusiast and used more at weekends than used as a daily drive by me racking up the miles, with not so much pleasure involved.

A Gti won't be as much fun, and i'll probably get shot down for making this post lol...but sometimes I guess you have to put you're head over you're heart.

What do you guys reckon- in the most unbiased way possible? lol

Scott-16v!
08-01-2006, 19:43
:cry: you gotta do what you gotta do i'm afraid mish, do whatever is the most practical option to suit you.

but KEEP THE VALVER :P :twisted: :lol:

Mish_16V
08-01-2006, 19:49
lmfao...I just need the elusive lottery win and i'm laughing lol.

I'm 'comfortable' not bloody loaded :lol:

EvilJohn
08-01-2006, 19:51
keep the valver and get a cheap oil burner for during the week, old 306 maybe.

Mish_16V
08-01-2006, 20:18
I can't afford to run/insure to cars...i'm only 19 so it's difficult at the moment, or yes that would be an option

Scott-16v!
08-01-2006, 20:30
:P
if i were to be completely honest mish i would keep the valver, mines also in very good nick as is yours, but i still see it as an everyday car because its a car to be driven rather than a show piece to be used at weekends. plus i don't think mine would take kindly to only being used at the weekends, she prefers a bit of abuse each day :wink:

Mish_16V
08-01-2006, 20:36
It's not the mileage thing, its more the fact that as much as we all love them so much things do go wrong with them and i thought something newer with a warranty or similar might be the sensible bet.

With situations etc changing this year i want my money to be put into other things other than a lifetimes membership to the towing company :lol:

I still love it though :twisted:

Craig
08-01-2006, 20:48
106 gti's are great cars!

Dancliovalver
08-01-2006, 20:57
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/dancliovalver/PB180066.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/dancliovalver/PB180065.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/dancliovalver/PB180067.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/dancliovalver/PB180068.jpg

the missus has just bought a 106, and she loves it, but havin sed that i do to, if i had to sell the valver id probably get a black one of these with throttle bodies, they look and go the nakers

TriO`
08-01-2006, 21:05
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/dancliovalver/PB180065.jpg

clio for me. Allllllllllllllllllllll day long

IMO mich if you can afford to keep throwing money at the valver you should deffo keep it! if not get the gti. they're are nice little cars.

you'll probably regret it though :P

Mish_16V
08-01-2006, 21:06
Thats what I want, something that looks good in standard form, that I can buy from a dealer or trade place, with warranty that has low miles is newer and can be used as an everyday car.

My valvers just not being used to its full potential and is probably wasted on me at the moment all's I do is work :lol:

Dancliovalver
08-01-2006, 21:15
only things i dont like with the GTI is they have a really crap gear selector, so its really hard to get itno first and second, and will almost crunch every time getting into second!

they also have a very very wierd idleing problem, after a minutes tickover they will drop to 500revs and come back up again and will keep bouncing like that untill it stalls, then it will bounce from 1K to 2K and keep doin that, but its fine when moving

richy
08-01-2006, 21:18
gti's are fun, u will still have the same tax to pay, its a grp 13 so higher then valver, and does about same mpg as valver lol

i know ppl say that the 16v/williams are money pits but these are not fantastic in comparison! i know from experience!

fab
08-01-2006, 22:23
had a 106 myself.I can comment on the following:
they are no where close to as appealing as a willy.
If you are anyway tall and will be doing long journeys,stay away from them.Also any mods specifically exhaust mods will do your head in.the sound seems to fill the cabin way too much.
fab.

Dancliovalver
08-01-2006, 22:28
Fab did u have the idle problem aswell?

Anders
09-01-2006, 09:13
Might be a stupid suggestion but what the heck...

how about getting a motorbike or scooter then buddy?

Cheap to buy, insure, tax and very reliable. You get to do your weekly commute and still keep the valver for weekends!!

Just a thought...

fab
09-01-2006, 10:04
you know i cant remember Dan.the limiter was raised on it though and it revved up like a mo fo.
as noted before easy to get sideways in them.entertaining car nonetheless.
did have a 206 and it was a bucket of shit.and that had a serious idle problem.everytime I brought it back to peugeot they would reset the ECU and say"fixed now".After the 4th attempt I sold it.

Daz.
09-01-2006, 15:03
How nice is your valver! I like that mucho, its standard but can't put my finger on why it stands out for me - maybe its because its so clean :D

Dancliovalver
09-01-2006, 16:32
lol whos are u talkin about mate?

Gav
09-01-2006, 16:50
lol whos are u talkin about mate?

lol yours dan, its the only one on the screen :D

Dancliovalver
09-01-2006, 16:59
:oops: it dont look too bad in the pics but is a right nail at the mo, havnt had time to give it some TLC,

thought u were talking bout mich's valver, hers is awsome, lovin the white wheels, i really dont think she should sell it but if she did do then she has made the right choice i think for her next car

Daz.
09-01-2006, 17:04
no yours old son - me likes :wink:

Mish_16V
09-01-2006, 19:02
thought u were talking bout mich's valver, hers is awsome, lovin the white wheels, i really dont think she should sell it but if she did do then she has made the right choice i think for her next car

:oops: Thanks Dan, thats really nice of you to say...

And also the thing about the 106, i've thought about it long and hard. IF i do change the Valver I think it would be for a 106 as i'd say its a more comfortable and modern equvalent (if not less ballsy!)

Situations are changing for me this year and not only do I need a fun car but I need a reliable car (or at least one with warranty so I have a financial back up plan) as i'm looking to move out shortly etc and at 19 thats not the cheapest of things to do. I'd rather sell to an enthusiast while it was mint than move out, plow money into other things and let it turn into a dog.

Thanks for all the advice though, its been less biased than I expected and really useful and I appreciate it everyone :)

Daz.
09-01-2006, 19:19
Don't get me wrong I love valvers to bits but if Renault had decided never to build one I'd probably have a Diablo Red 106 GTI on my drive or a 306 Raylle...

Nice cars - Think the 306 would sway it for me being bigger and a tad quicker - plus I cannot stand the lact of footwell space in the little pugs - nowhere to put yer foot!

Mish_16V
09-01-2006, 19:23
I'm not so bad that way, only have size 6.5 feet and am only 5'7 lol :lol:

As for the 306- i will NEVER own one again. Hate them :twisted:

Had a d-Turbo and it was shit, it was a good example to so i'd of hated to see a dog- its currently in my garage with half the engine out as the top engine mount decided to break (with no warning or looseness before hand!) and drop the engine about 2 inches out of the bay! I'm sick of the site of the thing and I hope it rusts into a pile of nothing!

Daz.
09-01-2006, 19:26
I'm not so bad that way, only have size 6.5 feet and am only 5'7 lol :lol:

As for the 306- i will NEVER own one again. Hate them :twisted:

Had a d-Turbo and it was s**t, it was a good example to so i'd of hated to see a dog- its currently in my garage with half the engine out as the top engine mount decided to break (with no warning or looseness before hand!) and drop the engine about 2 inches out of the bay! I'm sick of the site of the thing and I hope it rusts into a pile of nothing!

So your not keeping it then? lol

Itsme
09-01-2006, 21:41
I had 2 valvers then bought 106 gti thinking same thing soon regretted it 106 are good and in my opinion just as quite but no way near as fun.
Had to get willy after

09-01-2006, 23:17
didnt know you still had the 306 :shock:

was slightly confused by your sig on RB :? However if your having problems with it then move on...

I really like 106's, however you thought of maybe a saxo vts?

Mish_16V
09-01-2006, 23:21
Dave- Saxo no!

Not having problems, just do alot of miles now and want reassurance/back up etc and a newer car but without sacrificing to much in terms of speed and fun etc. Ideal situation would be to get the Gti get moved out and settled and then get a Willy towards the end of this year :wink: