PDA

View Full Version : lowering williams ?

williams-3
06-01-2006, 00:10
What does everyone think about lowering there Williams ? I had to get the front two springs replaced at last MOT cos they were so rusted down to nothing , from this the car sat fairly low at the front which i liked ! now the new springs are on its just sitting too high at the front and its doin my head in :x . Car is booked in for sat morning to get lowered at the front using lowering springs and there gona set the rear torsion to match so should look sweeeet 8) My only concern is that its lowering a Williams , not something i'd ever plan on doin cos of the way these cars were designed and built ???!

What you all think ????

Coops
06-01-2006, 00:15
nearly everyone on here has some kind of tweak, upgrade or lower on their suspension so your in good company!

when it comes to a williams, if u want it like that do it, just make sure the changes are reversible come sale time!!if u ever sell it that is!!

personally i think droppin it a few cm from standard makes it look shit hot n handle a bit better n all, i think officially its 55 at the back n 35 at the front for dead pan chassis? correct me if a wrong fellas!!

NickFr
06-01-2006, 00:15
Just don't go Mad....mine has been over lowered and scrapes the front arches, also on a bumpy road it's ****ing uncomfortable. The handling is great if the road is smooth or for track use!

Coops
06-01-2006, 00:18
mines stupid low n all, had 17's on when i bought it too, so all new front bearings n 15 inch rims later n its sweet! but with the smaller wheels its even lower!!doh! i love the way it looks but its a pig on shite english roads!!and my drive and my exhaust are in pieces due to many close encounters of the third kind!! :oops:

williams-3
06-01-2006, 00:19
yeh well bigjim from here lives not far from me and he got the same done and it looks spot on , think its about 25-30mm front and back .

Coops
06-01-2006, 00:21
25-30mm you wont even notice it in terms of ride quality, and u'll love the look of it n if u dont do it it will piss u off!!!and ur handlin shud perk up a bit n all i'd say so get it done!! :P oh and give us all a few tasty before and after pics n all!!! 8)

williams-3
06-01-2006, 00:23
yeh i'll defo get sum tasty b4 and after shots for the team ! 8)

stew
06-01-2006, 01:12
slam the mofo!!!! LOL

only joking.....your williams is MINT...but nowt wrong with a sly 20-30mm drop. Make sure that you take it to a decent garage coz swaping springs is easy....but setting the torsion bar at a desired hieght is hard! Bet they say "we lowered it a notch!" WHAT THE **** I ASK YOU IS A NOTCH???????

You can lower a torsion bar by however much you want. So just make sure it aint tooo low at the back...it will comprimise handling....induce turn in understeer....and IMO look crappy!

If you want me to give you a hand or whatever give us a shout. I'm back in edin for the next 3 months on monday!

Gav
06-01-2006, 01:32
mine is crazy low with fat tyres and ive just ended up having to buy a whole new clio suspension set up because the car wasnt deigned to carry the car that low, literally everything was ****ed, wishbones, springs, struts, cv,bushes, everything cuz of the strain

handled like a go kart tho 8) and i have fixed it all now, and still no raised it...looks the jacobs..but by the time its fcukd again it wont be in my possession 8)

so as said....slam it...but dont be silly...otherwise it will cost u loads in the long run

Winston
06-01-2006, 01:44
Just don't go Mad....mine has been over lowered and scrapes the front arches, also on a bumpy road it's f***king uncomfortable. The handling is great if the road is smooth or for track use!

Live a little :P :wink:

but to low and you will crack your arches :oops:

Hulio
06-01-2006, 02:58
Does anybody know if it messes up the handling too much if it is lower at the back then the front as i am thinking of getting the rear of my car lowered a bit more as it seems too high?

Anders
06-01-2006, 08:45
Can't reallt comment as I haven't and will never lower my Williams, but theorectically, lowering effect everything.

Firstly suspension geometry, so spring rate (progressive) will change. As you have now changed roll centres, (stationary and dynamic) Then you got steering geometry as you have now altered the Ackerman angles...

Personally I think it is great as it is...lowering would be purely for cosmetic reasons.

If you do lower, remember to adjust your rear brake sensor.

Zollo
06-01-2006, 12:03
I'd have said what Anders has said ^^^ (but used slightly less technical phrases :shock: ). In other words, unless the car is going to be used purely for the track, and you have the knowledge to set the car up to suit, the standard setup is best.

Also, who fitted your springs? Are you sure they're genuine Renault ones? Because if they're not, I doubt very much the garage has fitted the right ones. I had an independant garage fit springs to mine. They guaranteed they were Williams springs, even though they raised the ride-height :roll:

Let's see a picture of your car mate...

Zollo
06-01-2006, 12:07
Does anybody know if it messes up the handling too much if it is lower at the back then the front as i am thinking of getting the rear of my car lowered a bit more as it seems too high?

The Williams is setup with the front-biased stance for handling reasons. Mess with the balance and you mess with understeer/oversteer characteristics amongst other things.

bigjim
06-01-2006, 20:34
do it :D uve seen mine and it looks great imo, a little firmer but improved the handling. give me a shout next week for that photo shoot of the slammed willys!! 8) :D

stew
06-01-2006, 20:38
could make a meet out of it! why not?

richy
06-01-2006, 20:40
mine is std height on the front, but uprated springs (200lb) and had to lower the back after stripping it out! was way to high, its now about 10mm higher at the back compared to the front, handled perfectly fine on trackdays, still easy to play with :D (plus all new shockers etc )

Hulio
07-01-2006, 05:07
I do love my car lowered but bumpy roads can be tough going and i now need to get a cracked wing fixed............

Smokey McPot
07-01-2006, 10:10
Surely if it was meant to be lower, renault would have made them that way?

Gav
07-01-2006, 14:28
Surely if it was meant to be lower, renault would have made them that way?

exactly what my MOT inpector said to me

the hight of a clio standard has been worked out by the renault boffins and mess wit it, mess with the balance of the car

FATBOY
07-01-2006, 15:07
if you want low! you should look at snakeyladys williams 2! low as hell! and looks mint. do a search and you will find some pics!

stew
07-01-2006, 16:17
i wouldnt lower a willy more than 25mm or 30mm, but a track slagged hybrid...well thats a different story altogether! :wink: