PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shocks Williams

NickFr
05-01-2006, 23:35
Guys,

Were the original shocks on a Williams De-Carbon made by Delco?

BigBoreBri
05-01-2006, 23:44
"Delco" ring a bell....

Am i right in thinking there's normal williams dampers and also a set of uprated ones available from renault too?? :?

NickFr
05-01-2006, 23:46
I am going to Court with my williams tomorrow, the rear shock snapped at 70MPH, I have replaced them. the reason I ask is that if the Delco one's were the original Shocks they have done over 160,000 Miles.

BigBoreBri
05-01-2006, 23:48
:o

Coops
05-01-2006, 23:59
so u had old shocks on 160k maybe, changed em and new ones from renault snapped at 70? thats well bad!!! how long were the new ones on?!

NickFr
06-01-2006, 00:05
No....the williams I bought has been seriously clocked so has probably done 160-175K...the car has been lowered by an enourmous amount and was claimed to be all new...however after 1 Month one of the rear shocks snapped. My garage replaced both rear shocks and told me that they had never been changed and were probably the original shocks. I just want to confirm this. I still have both the old shocks as proof. The front springs were made shorter DIY with a hacksaw. The suspension is so low it has rubbed the paint off both front arches. I am looking to get a Full refund!

Coops
06-01-2006, 00:08
where u buy it from? sounds like cowboys fcuked wit it!!

NickFr
06-01-2006, 00:11
The thing is Coops is that the engine is amazing, the garage reckons its in excellent nick, however too many corners were cut, so cowboys is spot on.

Coops
06-01-2006, 00:16
thats good news then if the rest is okay, whatever them muppets have done can be salvaged! just get EVERYTHING checked for evidence of their work off the back of this incident!!

whats the deal with court then? who u tryin to get compensation off of? cuz renault wont have nethin to do with it cuz its none standard n not their fault!!or is it??

Purple
06-01-2006, 00:53
Renault uses a few OEMs like DeCarbon, KYB and Gabrielle. My first replacement rear shocks were DeCarbon way back in '97/'98. It's all been KYB after that. Maybe Renault used DeCarbon in the early days. Has anyone received DeCarbon lately?

Gav
06-01-2006, 01:37
dunno if it is the same but just replaced mine [done 140k mine had] and they were delco,

spax now 8) u knows it

2 live
06-01-2006, 10:19
yep .originally they were de-carbons. uprated shox were also available, but not from reno i believe.

altho apparently, de-carbon was a sister co. of another susp co. hehe so they could be supplied by them also, albeit under a diff name

Purple
06-01-2006, 11:18
Does anyone know the actual specs for the OEMs shocks? And is there anywhere I can order the Decarbon shocks directly.

I have always felt that the Decarbons were better suited to the Williams than the KYBs. I could be wrong, but I think the KYBs sits a little lower and gives a tad too much grip to the rear. Even though they were all supplied from Renault.

PS: Sorry for OT, NickFr.

2 live
06-01-2006, 11:19
i think de-carbon have gone out of business now mate..........or the names been dropped.

Zollo
06-01-2006, 12:15
altho apparently, de-carbon was a sister co. of another susp co. hehe so they could be supplied by them also, albeit under a diff name

Something to do with Bilstein I think.

Zollo
06-01-2006, 12:19
I have always felt that the Decarbons were better suited to the Williams than the KYBs. I could be wrong, but I think the KYBs sits a little lower and gives a tad too much grip to the rear. Even though they were all supplied from Renault.

Do you find the ride is firmer with the KYBs too? I had decarbons on mine before and the new KYBs seem firmer. Though this may be because they just damp better than knackered old ones! The extra firmness would explain the removal of rear-steer too, as there's less weight being allowed to transfer.

Not sure about the ride height drop, as surely the dictating factor to ride height is the springs?

stew
06-01-2006, 13:27

Do you find the ride is firmer with the KYBs too? I had decarbons on mine before and the new KYBs seem firmer. Though this may be because they just damp better than knackered old ones! The extra firmness would explain the removal of rear-steer too, as there's less weight being allowed to transfer.

Not sure about the ride height drop, as surely the dictating factor to ride height is the springs?

I think ride height is dependant on the shocks on the rear of clio's. My standard O/E ones are shorter than my coilover ones, and there is no way i could get the car lower than i currently have with my coilover ones (almost on the bumpstops - but with no weight in the back of my clio its fine), unless i switch back to my O/E ones. (which are buggered!)

It is a strange one this...as im sure avo's rear shocks are shorter than mine as well! :? I would have thought all rear shocks would be the same height?