PDA

View Full Version : Break Compensator

fab
04-01-2006, 18:18
whilst cleaning underneath the rear end of the car and ditching the spare wheel i came across this:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/fabtrader/brakeC.gif

it looks like it can be adjusted but what exactly do the adjustments do?i take it it compensates breaking somehow but is that between front and rear?

Also is there a bulb in the clock as I couldnt see the time at night.

clowo16v
04-01-2006, 18:25
It puts more braking bias to the rear the more load you have in the car, although you can ajust it manually.

Yes it does have a bulb.

See ya

Matt

Twincam
04-01-2006, 23:11
Its worth checking whether the valve is free moving as most seize up, and dont work as they should.

As mentioned before it works off the back beam so as the car is loaded more breaking is applied to the rear.

They also should be adjusted when cars are lowered due to the valve compensating for weight due to the car being lowered (but i dont think many people bother doing this)

James Clio 16v
05-01-2006, 00:37
Check for leaks as well, as mine died on about 90k.

This was noticed when my master cylinder exploded.

stew
05-01-2006, 01:46
Slight correction. They arent a load valve.

It is designed to allow full brake effort on the rear on the car when the car is level. When braking the front will dip, transfering weight forward away from the rear of the vehicle, increasing the chance of the vehicle locking a rear wheel. This valve compensates for that, and reduces the braking effort accordingly. Its nothing to do with load really, but can be effected by a loaded rear of the car. It will also be effected by a lowered car. Its virtually impossible to lock a rear wheel on a clio as the rear discs are sooo shit, and thats me talking with a stripped out (no weight at all in the back) clio!

IMO it dont really do very much, and my rear brakes are still as shit as ever, even since i replaced this valve. :wink:

Coops
05-01-2006, 11:33
my valver rocks then!!! four wheel lock up in the dry if i hammer the pedal, love it, scares the shite out of people!!! :lol: obviously when used sensibly and a song as it doesnt happen unexpectadly!!!! :roll:

Chris H
05-01-2006, 14:22
my blue chamade locks its rear wheels (cable tied the valve open) and kicks the arse out to the left.

My old 1.4 which I had the 16v rear beam on had no bias valve, and only solid 238mm discs at the front (rears are 238's as well btw) and it was the best braking car I have ever been in tbh!