PDA

View Full Version : Right few problems with the motor could all be related?

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 10:27
Right few problems with the motor could all be related?

Right first off, sometimes in a morning the car really struggles to get going like, bruns problem, like its flooded, give it a belt with the loud pedal and it seems to clear itself, and is fine then, kinda like running on 3 cylinders.

Next problem is sometimes when idleing the car like to drop the revs and sometimes stall....but it also sometimes decides to rev itself while idleing, quite funny at the lights as people think im wanting a race, but its just the car revving it self...lol. Sometimes I can just turn off the car and start it back up and alls sorted, but sometimes it comes back. The problem also cures itself while driving like last night on way home from work?

Once the car is warm none of these problems exist, after about 3 mins of driving they are sorted, but its ****in me off any ideas?

Ah one more thing, since the weather has gone cold the water temp never goes any higher than err maybe first bar, where as before it used to go to a 1/4, I do have a low temp thermostat thingy on the radiator, which is good in summer, but water doesn;t seem to get up to temp now.

northy
04-01-2006, 10:42
The low temp radiator switch wont stop the car from getting warm mate. All that it does is force the fan to cut in at a lower temperature than standard to prevent over heating. Probally down to the colder air flowing through the radiator better and keeping the engine cooler.

The racing revs i beleive are related to the speedo earth or something similar in that area. Im not 100% sure but i think there is a fix for it.

As for the poor running 1st thing in the morning....best thing would be to get Nick Hill to plug his reader into it and see if any faults come up...worth a try at the RR day???

Anders
04-01-2006, 13:21
Second Northy on the low temp switch. Doesn't effect water temp at all, just makes fan cut in earlier. I drive around in fooking freezing temps over here (-17 here today) and my water temp gauge sits at the same as ever.

The good thing about your other problem is that it only happens when its cold, helping isolate the problem. Haven't had the problem myself but ain't that to do with the MAP sensor or cold air flow sensor that regulates fueling (ICVS valve??). Hooking up to XR25 will be worthwhile.

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 13:43
I'm getting really crappy fuel consumtion also.

Just bought a lambda, gonna try it tonight and clean any crap from the spark plug holes, then change starter, then fuel lines, then downpipe gasket (not related just ****ed...lol), then when thats finished and the lambda hasn't done shit, it's off to Nick Hill.

I spoke to Nick this morning and he reckons the cam timing could be too wild, as I'm running kent's timing figures, which could be too wild, but he won't know for sure till he looks at it, the only thing that puts me off it being the timing, is the car was fine when i bought it, then the problem came, then I had cams, so the problem was there before the cams were installed.

Swervin_Mervin
04-01-2006, 13:49
I've had/have this problem Rob in winter. Tried all sorts and it's better but not right.

Done all dizzy/plugs etc and also wired in a new earth for the speedo sensor.

Next on the list of suspects is the MAP sensor. ISCV might also get cleaned but it looks not 3 bad anyway. XR25 showed up no faults.

northy
04-01-2006, 13:50
remember what the car was like when it was timed when you had the pulleys on.....right pig to drive. Is it the same as that again ?

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 13:58
Swervin I had this problem in Summer too, not the hesitation thats new this winter, think the hesitation is just condensation or oil in the plugs/leads, easily sorted I think, will give it a whirl tonight.

Northy, nah its a different problem to when the car wasn't timed, back then even when the car was warm and high revs/gears it would kangaroo like mad when letting off the throttle, timing the cams, sent it back to how it used to behave before the cams, dip clutch when cold, it would either stall or stay alive just. Didn't have the problem when I bought the car, and it only happens every now and again.

It's still drivable but ****ing annoying, when it stalls especially to and from work, where it's start stop, especially mornings and home time, when it's stood all day/night.

I think I'll try the lambda, then map sensor, I tried cleaning my old ISVC and it was still there, then I got a 2nd hand one from J3ned which was clean looking so wasn't too old I'd imagine, I cleaned that also still the problem is there.

I've also replaced the CTS too.

fab
04-01-2006, 13:58
You know the way I see these cars now is like this:
They are like pedigree race horses,finely tuned and when they are in the mood they run so sweetly.
They also have their off days and factors such as air temp fuel quality etc effect them even to the smallest degree.
Its the same on all the R spec bikes my brother works with in Ducati.The mechanics either luv them or hate them when they come in.They can be a bitch diagnose or get right.

Mine did the same idling dance on the morning I left for my hols and i had just had it on XR25 with no faults recorded and a new fuel filter fitted.

Oddly enough what i noticed was that if the tank is a quarter full or less the problem existed and on deceleration she would appear to be running lean.Once I topped up with fuel no problem.Ran as sweet as a nut.
Beginning to think its a fuel supply/pump issue.

Craig
04-01-2006, 14:03
iv had same prob years back! i think a lot of folk have, but its not easy to pinpoint!

possibly cts, crank sensor, potentiometer, iscv, ecu, speedo cable, map sensor,

if its fine when warm then most likely coolant temp sensor! (altho i could be wrong lol)

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 14:07
if its fine when warm then most likely coolant temp sensor! (altho i could be wrong lol)

I thought that but I replaced it with a Renno jobbie not so long back, didn't do anything? Could of been faulty when I got it from renno maybe, sounds doubtful though....right annoying it is.

Craig
04-01-2006, 14:23
hmmmm weirdy beardy these engines!

i replaced everything i could possibly on mine, and it still was acting up! then suddenly a few days later it sorted itself out!

last few things i tried (at the same time) were speedo cable, map sensor and ecu!

VIPERONE
04-01-2006, 14:26
monkey.. on startup mi will idle fine.. drop to 700 rpm sound like its going to stall then the figures will shoot up again.
when i drive just after turning the key.. it will kangeroo.. it can be dangerous.. power will die on approach to a bend.. then it will all of a sudden kick in.lol.

now another lad that was experiancing these start p problems pin pointed it back to his iscv... despite giving them a clean the circuitry can go wrong in them.

i think your cam timings wil be fine.. my car had an a1 idle before these problems recently surfaced.

i will be changing the following:

lambda
crank sensor

no joy then:

coolant sensor
iscv

im doing it today so i can let you know what resolves the faults later on..

tricky
04-01-2006, 15:09
My bet is on the crank/tdc sensor

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 15:20
Cheers lads/gunner let us knwo how you get on, how much is a new ISCV?

Swervin_Mervin
04-01-2006, 15:29
Wow! New map sensors aren't cheap. :shock:

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 15:55
Wow! New map sensors aren't cheap. :shock:

Go on....and whats the price for the ISCV, I take it you have dialogys?

Swervin_Mervin
04-01-2006, 16:02
It's an old dialogys. MAP sensor is listed at £170 + VAT so probably nearer to £200 by now.

ISCV is about £85 I think. Can't believe the price of the MAP sensor the robbing bastards. It's tiny FFS.

GazTwo
04-01-2006, 16:04
The nana is like most of what u have mentioned Rob.....some mornings it's sounds like it's only fireing on 3 cylinders....I just hold the revs at 1500 for about 20-30secs and it clears and will tick over fine.

I find whenever I start it up cold or warm I need to let it settle itself for about 30secs before I set off otherwise when I dip the clutch it will conke out or just about stay alive....but if I leave it for 30secs or so it's fine.

Also does that thing where it revs up itself as I'm slowing down when it's out of gear or clutch in.

Might not help that your manifold gasket is gone and the engine is getting that bit colder at night.

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 16:12
Might not help that your manifold gasket is gone and the engine is getting that bit colder at night.

Ah you might have a thing there Gaz, but again it was doing it before manifold was blowing, but doubt it will help it blowing though hehe, should have that and the starter and fuel lines sorted tomorrow.

You description is the same as what mine does Gaz, fookin annoying, feels like everyone knows your car is buggered...lol

I do hold the revs for a min or so, but first thing and its fine but with the gasket blowing you can hear it from miles around...lol shakes the windows of next doors house :lol:

I seem to remeber Craig having the same probs with the nana ages ago?

tricky
04-01-2006, 16:12
It's an old dialogys. MAP sensor is listed at £170 + VAT so probably nearer to £200 by now.

ISCV is about £85 I think. Can't believe the price of the MAP sensor the robbing bastards. It's tiny FFS.

It's a standard General motors 1 bar map sensor so most motor factors should be able to get hold of one for around £50 mark.

Tommo
04-01-2006, 16:14
Gaz u gonna be around Saturday day time mate, need to give you your cat back. Garage couldn't get it to fit so had to buy a new one... :cry:

Also running sweet as a nut with the new cat, mine used to do everything you've described monkey but now smooth idling from cold! Don't think I'll bother putting the de-cat back on now...

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 16:16
Gaz u gonna be around Saturday day time mate, need to give you your cat back. Garage couldn't get it to fit so had to buy a new one... :cry:

Also running sweet as a nut with the new cat, mine used to do everything you've described monkey but now smooth idling from cold! Don't think I'll bother putting the de-cat back on now...

hmm can't remeber if it did this before the decat? Think it might have...hmmm

GazTwo
04-01-2006, 16:23
I seem to remeber Craig having the same probs with the nana ages ago?

Think it's always been like tbh....Martin told me to let it settle itself when I bought it.....think that's why Martin had it running for 3 days at meets before he set off...otherwise it kangaroo's and stalls..... :x

I've got used to it now and not to bothered as I don't use it everyday but if I needed to use it everyday like u it would drive me up the wall :!:

My decat was blowing and I've noticed it's better in a morning since getting it fixed......but might just be in my head... :?

GazTwo
04-01-2006, 16:26

:? .....Sorry mate...u should have got him to put whatever brackets on to get it to fit....not to worry if it's sorted now.

Yes I'll be about Saturday.

Tommo
04-01-2006, 16:26

hmm can't remeber if it did this before the decat? Think it might have...hmmm

Well the old cat on mine was knackered and rattly and the car used to run like shit, the de-cat seemed to make it a little better but not much. The new cat seems to have sorted out idling issues, still not 100% perfect but a hell of a lot better than it was. Might be worth putting the cat back on and seeing if it's any better?

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 16:30
Might be worth putting the cat back on and seeing if it's any better?

Might have a go at that last resort really, as I like the sound/performance gains :twisted:

Tommo
04-01-2006, 16:31

:? .....Sorry mate...u should have got him to put whatever brackets on to get it to fit....not to worry if it's sorted now.

Yes I'll be about Saturday.

It's not a problem mate, needed to buy a new cat anyway for future MOT's, but car seems to be running better so will leave it on.

Well I'm doing a bit of shopping in Warrington with the missus on sat afternoon so will call around and drop it off mate

clowo16v
04-01-2006, 18:00
Mine has done it on and off since I bought it, not really that annoying though. When its not doing it the car feels slower. I think its overfueling at low revs, but then when I boot it its fine lol. I thought it was an airleak to start with as that usually causes hunting at idle, but I sprayed WD40 everywhere and couldn't find anything.

See ya

Matt

Tommo
04-01-2006, 18:13
Might be worth putting the cat back on and seeing if it's any better?

Might have a go at that last resort really, as I like the sound/performance gains :twisted:

Yeah I know what you mean, I love the raspy sound of a de-cat!!

TBH I prefer it with the cat on, the de-cat on mine seemed to kill low end torque with only a bit more power higher up the revs, and I don't really rev the crap out of it so suits me fine. Do miss the sound tho...

FlamingMonkey
05-01-2006, 09:36
I just remebered I had this problem before the decat, I remember me and 2live talking about the problem ages ago, so we we changed the leads, dizzy cap, plugs, filter, fuel filter and decatted it, problem was still there.

Cars in the garage today having starter checked, manifold to downpipe gasket replaced.

I will change the Lambda on Sat, I assume will do nothing, then I'll try the ISCV, might go for a new one from Renno, I did notice last night after work if I held the car at 2-3k revs for 30 secs, I had no problems with the car all the way home, could the ISCV be sticking or something maybe worse during the cold weather?

FlamingMonkey
10-01-2006, 10:13
Right got the car back, and all seems sorted, no more dodgy idleing *touches wood*

Could be one of a few things that I had done hehe but my main bet would be the lambda

northy
10-01-2006, 10:24
congratulations rob.

Was a good £45 to spend them :D

FlamingMonkey
10-01-2006, 10:25
congratulations rob.

Was a good £45 to spend them :D

Yeah seems the best its ever been since I bought it...lol

Althought it has disappeared before for a week or so and come back, so my hopes aren't too high, but it's a coincidence that once lambda is replaced its fine again.

BRUN
10-01-2006, 14:36
ive changed pretty much everything you can

the only things ive not changed are ISCV which u33db changed when he had it, and the map sensor

my problem has all but gone away now after getting the lambda changed, its slightly down on power at first some mornings but it doesnt do the kangaroo/hesitation thing anymore, and im pretty certain its because at present my map sensor hose to the inlet manifold is araldited on as the connector broke off, so its not ideal

when i bought the car from u33db it was fine in the morning, once it started that is !.......so im puttin it down to my map sensor hose problem, got a new inlet though so that will be sorted in the coming weeks

it does sometimes run dodgy if i go to the jet wash (not brush car wash!), which i think will be moisture getting to the ECU as Winston has had this problem before, i was gonna take it out today and dry it and seal it, but its raining so hardly ideal

its obvious to change the CTS as it seems temp related, but ive changed mine 3 times now and its done nothing at all

the bad running first thing id put down to the lambda, they dont last forever, if yours has a universal one on it aswell, change it, they dont work

FlamingMonkey
10-01-2006, 14:42
My Lambda was an NGK one and fitted a dream, seems to have sorted my problems :P

BRUN
10-01-2006, 14:59
told you so :p