PDA

View Full Version : desiel gear box on an F7R

Mattie
03-01-2006, 12:45
cant remember who it was but i read sum time bk on a forum ( also cant remember which 1 ) that sum1 was usin a desiel gear box on there F7R....

any 1 any ideas if this would be better than usin the JC5 box? and if so y?

thanks people :)

GazTwo
03-01-2006, 13:06
I beleive Jesus had a diesel box in his.

northy
03-01-2006, 13:06
The jesus and kelly both had a diesel box.

The jesus is now on a valver box.

A diesel box is great for fuel economy - i can rember jesus doing over 400miles on one tank with spirited driving....and would only start to pull in 5th at 120....class.

J o n
03-01-2006, 13:11
The jesus and kelly both had a diesel box.

The jesus is now on a valver box.

A diesel box is great for fuel economy - i can rember jesus doing over 400miles on one tank with spirited driving....and would only start to pull in 5th at 120....class.

it was over 400 miles on half a tank mate for the Cobham doo :lol: pmsl

i think i'd like to see what a new diesel box would be like, as I have more power to make better use of it now. In a Willy they are also better for performance imo as 3rd and 4th gear were 105mph and 137mph (iirc).

only problem is your off cam after each change and the Willy would only just be able to pull onto cam, tbh a valver would struggle with this box unless running some really lairy cams as well as other mods... requires a load of torque to get the best out of...

Geezer
03-01-2006, 19:25
Is this the same box as Mark@Ritchspeed uses?

How does his compare with the willy box?

Craig

richy
03-01-2006, 19:40
it varies, theres afew different boxs the diesels run, which will all more then likey have different ratio's, im sure mark r ran a kangoo diesel box and it topped out at something like 120?

edde
04-01-2006, 00:47
Marks car went to 120 then that was it it was a Kangoo diesel van box though and he wore the seals out then again he did drive it hard.

Mattie
04-01-2006, 11:37
wot was ur box from Jesus?

Chris H
05-01-2006, 14:06
I have a 1.9 non td box in the white chamade. The revs are surprisingly close to what they should be. Only the td is a big diff even then its not as mush as people make out. An extra 7mph per 1krpm.

Mattie
05-01-2006, 14:40
so not worth getin a desiel then? just stick with the JC5?

Justin..
05-01-2006, 19:37
depends on whats cheaper , easier to get hold of, and how desperate you are lol

J o n
05-01-2006, 19:39

no idea mate... all I know is it only ever managed to pull in 5th gear past 140 once (not on cam on change...) and that was with the aid of a big hill... it would however quite happily go well off the clock...

Mattie
06-01-2006, 10:55

no idea mate... all I know is it only ever managed to pull in 5th gear past 140 once (not on cam on change...) and that was with the aid of a big hill... it would however quite happily go well off the clock...

so theres definate performance improvement?

Smokey McPot
06-01-2006, 11:30
werent williams' built with diesel clutches because they were the only ones at the time that could cope with torque? I'm sure i read that....... :?

J o n
06-01-2006, 11:56

so theres definate performance improvement?

yes, but like I said, you change gear and you will be off cam. mine strugled to get into cam if going up any kind of hill, so a valver with even less torque could and prolly will really suffer... i may try one again in the future, see if the flat spot could possibly be mapped out to a degree.

Smokey, not sure about clutch, but the crank is the same

Mattie
07-01-2006, 18:54
wot do u mean wen u say it will be off cam jesus? :oops:

Anders
07-01-2006, 19:33
Would imagine its down to the different ratio's in the box and final drive, so because diesels have a significantly different torque curve where the max torque is down at the low end it effects things when mated to a petrol engine.

So usually in your 16V/Willy or whatever, when changing gear near max revs, it drops to the next cog right in the torque curve, keeping up the momentum and max acceleration.

However if the diesel box cogs are different, then changing gear will drop you into a band on the torque curve nowhere near optimum power. Especially as Jesus is saying he is off cam, as he is pushing his power band higher up the rev range so has to wait until the revs build again until max acceleration is achieved again.

Mapping may help reduce the problem, but I reckon you might still have that flat spot.