PDA

View Full Version : Battery light

Dancliovalver
31-12-2005, 21:22
i went to a large shopping centre earlier on today and because the cue was so long to park i had to keep going very short distances and having to stop again, then not long before i parked up the batter light on me dash board came on :?
and its was there for qite a while on the way back home aswell then in went off!!
what does this indicate?
my first thoughts was that the alternator is paking up because its a bitch to start every morning!!!

Craig
31-12-2005, 21:58
sounds like either alternator or a dodgy earth/connection mate!

Dancliovalver
31-12-2005, 22:00
cheers matey, im kinda hoping its just the light playing up, but the engines coming out next month so would it be worth changing the alternator anyways?

Craig
31-12-2005, 22:12
if its a bugger to start and lights comin on then something must be wrong!

if engines out then id prob replace it yeh, or at least check all connections and that!

bit of a fuker to replace with the engine in!

Dancliovalver
31-12-2005, 22:13
lol ive heard there a wa*ker to do when the engines in so may aswell change it then

Daz
31-12-2005, 22:42
Mine got changed when my engine was out (first time round).

Mine was flicking on and off for over a month tho, so I'm sure mine was a bad connection, but they are a swine to change with the engine in, so might aswell change it when it's out!

My 3's did actually pack up - flicking on and off for about 2 days then on solid - not great! It eventually stopped a week later which wasn't bad going - revs dropped, lights started coming on dash!

clowo16v
01-01-2006, 15:02
Mine flickered when I bought the car but it was charging fine. When I did the first gearbox swap I must've tightened a loose connection or something as its never done it since.

See ya

Matt

Martin
01-01-2006, 16:40
Had this on mine was just a loose connection on the battery though

Dancliovalver
01-01-2006, 16:47
okey dokey ill ahve a look at all the bits u guys have mentioned and ill let u know!!

stew
02-01-2006, 14:17
Mine did this for 3 months. Thought it was a dodgey earth that i couldnt find. My battery light would flicker on and off all the time. Eventually the battery died, becuase the main charging cable from the altenator had become frayed, and was sparking and not making a good connection. Sorted it and now is all fine! Surprised that i could drive about with it for as long as i did before the battery died. That included a few night drives back to/from edinbugh (around 80 miles) :wink:

Dancliovalver
04-01-2006, 23:04
well was the alternator, finally decided to pack up on me today lol, right pain to start my car now and dont run great when its runnin!!

oh well, bet there a right pain to change aint they?

James Clio 16v
04-01-2006, 23:08
Yep, there's not much room there. Taking out the rad and taking off the bonnet and front cross member will make it easier.

James

Dancliovalver
04-01-2006, 23:11
cheers mate