PDA

View Full Version : Iffy Idle

arj256
30-12-2005, 20:38
Right i just recently did a oil change but doubt this had anything to do with it, and have noticed on idle that the car sounds like its misfiring or something as you hear a quiet pop come from the exhaust.
And just driven it now and the car is jumpy as if its misfiring or somethin at 2.5k and below but fine in the higher revs.
Im not sure what it could be, my main thinking would be the cts but this has been changed 3years ago or something.
I have changed the spark plugs the ht leads the dizzy cap. cleaned the iscv and the throttle body is clean, and sprayed some carb cleaner inside it a while back.
Its had a new fuel filter recently and injector cleaner run through.
So would think the cts or perhaps the coil pack?

Thanks.

VIPERONE
30-12-2005, 21:07
mate im having the same problem..mine happened more when i washed the car.. so am pinning it on moisture in the ecu....

i changed the ignition coil
..but symptoms persist.. im think it is either moisture in ecu or igniion module...the part the coil clips in to... other than that a fubar ecu.lol

could be lammy sensor

MatBrown
31-12-2005, 00:09
Check the MAP sensor.

Mat.

BRUN
31-12-2005, 02:15
i had this problem tonight

ive changed pretty much every sensor etc going, im gonna get my ECU out, dry it out on a radiator, and seal it up with silicone, Winston had a problem with damp in the ECU and doing that sorted his

arj256
31-12-2005, 03:23
Umm doesnt sound great, seems a few people are having simular issues with theres.
Will have a look at the Ecu later on and see what thats like for sealing.
Will have a check of the MAP Later on to, but not really much to check other than the pipes being in good condition?

arj256
31-12-2005, 12:45
Just recorded my exhaust note. and it sounds lumpy.
Here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/peterj.jones/Hosted%20Stuff/Exhaust%20Splutter.3gp)

Twincam
31-12-2005, 16:44
Sorry dont think itls help you arj256 but gunner depending on how much water you manged to get over your engine, i have had problems before of water sitting in the spark plug holes

Causing it to arc out and misfire, had this happen a couple of times when hitting fords (the water type) fast

Just need to dry them out might be worth a look

VIPERONE
31-12-2005, 19:57
:cry:

mine is only doing this from start up.. after ten minutes it rectifies..hmm..

its ridiculous.. the revs die off and i'l put my foot down.. then it will suddenly return to life shooting off.. grrr.

richy
31-12-2005, 20:25
mine is doing the same, not really looked into it fully, but fitted new plugs and ht leads other week, it cured it but its doing it again since we got snow

VIPERONE
31-12-2005, 20:56
Its had a new fuel filter recently and injector cleaner run through.
So would think the cts or perhaps the coil pack?--

lol so has mine..

hmmm will fiddle next week to find the dammed fault.

richy
31-12-2005, 21:05
certainly worth checking them over, i will check mine over eventually, hardly use the car really, use dads bmw now lol

mine behave the same though when it does it, its only the first 5/10mins it will do it, sounds like its dropping onto 3 cylinders and trys to die, i need to check the dizzy over itself, just wandering if damps getting into the actualy unit itself, not just the cap

BRUN
02-01-2006, 17:17
well ive had all these change in the last few months

- CTS x2
- Lambda
- Dizzi
- Dizzi Cap
- Rotor Arm
- Plugs x2
- Air Temp Sensor
- TDC Sensor
- Plug Leads
- Throttle Body
- Air Filter
- Fuel Filter
- Few oil changes
- Rocker gasket

also tried spare ECU and a few bottles of Forte

arj256
02-01-2006, 17:39
I was thinking that perhaps a blocked injector or one which isnt working efficiently could be the cause of some of the symptoms?
I had a play with some of my earths and doesnt seem to of made any difference.
Will check out the other things.

VIPERONE
02-01-2006, 22:23
The lad with the same symptoms as you, and me.. lol replaced his iscv.. im going to change mine and the coolant temp sensor... it might be that on start up when its cold the iscv isnt seting its self properly.. and is bust,,,..sending strange signals to the red potentiometer on the throttle body until the car is up to working temps.
im going to have a play on wednesday and see if i can fixed the silly fault!

arj256
02-01-2006, 22:30
Right just given my Iscv another clean and sprayed quite abit of carbcleaner through the throttle body, and still have the same symptoms.
The thing is it doesnt go when driving and has done this before and after the above.
I also unplugged the Cts and that hasnt made a difference, but could still be a issue.
If i got my car put on a computer thingy that should tell me what it is?

VIPERONE
02-01-2006, 22:49
it may well be that the iscv is knackered beyond cleaning :-)

yes its a twat... its strange how a number of us have sustained this problem at the same time!

Zollo
03-01-2006, 00:47
I had exactly the same problem on my old Clio, Gunner. First five minutes driving, on a half throttle, it would suddenly stutter, like it was completely flooded. If you put your foot down, it would kick back into life.

New lambda sorted it :)

VIPERONE
03-01-2006, 00:59
lol i think i'll visit winston for a second hand one!

BRUN
03-01-2006, 01:18
i did the lambda and mine was better, but the other night it did it really badly

VIPERONE
03-01-2006, 01:24
could be the fact no decat is present affecting fuel reading on start up

BRUN
03-01-2006, 14:24
no this time it wasnt on start up mate, i think this was something else

id definitely advise changing the lambda if yours only happens at start up, for an OE replacement though, a universal one is a waste of money they dont work properly

tricky
04-01-2006, 00:57
Lambda readings only start being recognised when the coolant reaches opperating temp tho so it must be something else if on start up only.

BRUN
04-01-2006, 01:08
the lambda has a warm up coil in it which can apparently **** up

changing my lambda has sorted my problem, after replacing all of the above and that not fixing it, i got told by Nick Hill to change the lambda and he was right, like usual !

the problem that happened the other day was i think due to water getting onto the dizzi cap

FlamingMonkey
04-01-2006, 10:18
the lambda has a warm up coil in it which can apparently f**k up

changing my lambda has sorted my problem, after replacing all of the above and that not fixing it, i got told by Nick Hill to change the lambda and he was right, like usual !

the problem that happened the other day was i think due to water getting onto the dizzi cap

Mines doing this, where did you get the Lambda from dude?

BRUN
06-01-2006, 02:11
from work, NGK one

whatever you get, make sure its an OE replacement, DONT buy a universal one

if you can, buy Bosch

tricky
06-01-2006, 16:23
Do you order from partco at work Brun??

BRUN
07-01-2006, 01:11
not usually as we dont have one in St Helens

we use CES or Quality Factor, or Andrew Page

byers
07-01-2006, 23:29
i had the same problems and still having the same ones some 1 told me that when they had a valver the changed the coolant sensor and that sorted it!!!

BRUN
08-01-2006, 21:35
the coolant sensor IS a very common problem so its probably worth trying it

tricky
08-01-2006, 23:03
not usually as we dont have one in St Helens

we use CES or Quality Factor, or Andrew Page

Cool. Only asked as I was in halfwits ordering something for a mate's car and they ordered it from fecking partco 1/2 mile up the road and added £10 for the pleasure. Rip-offs. Never had any bother with motor world tho usually reasonable prices and tell you where it's comming from