PDA

View Full Version : what to check

Jamie.
15-03-2005, 15:07
going to have a look at a willy 3 on friday and just wondering what to check for any tell-tale signs of being thrashed. i know to check the exhaust for rotting and rear wheel arches but the problem is this one i am going to have a look at has had 6 owners. despite being put off by this a few peeps have told me not to be an just buy it of it is mint. what do you guys think? would u just steer clear, and what to check 2 please.
cheers

KingStromba
15-03-2005, 15:15
Number of owners is not as important as condition.

Check:

Service history
Steering wheel play
Coolant colour and level
Oil clarity and level
Oil filler cap for whiteness
Engine mounts
Drive it and check for movement in the gear stick on acceleration and deceleration (shouldnt jump out of gear)
General rust
Signs of leaks from the sun roof
Smoke on acceleration and gear changes
Uneven wear on tyres
Broken sprinks
Get the engine hot and look at the temps (no higher than half for water, no higher than 100 idling for oil)
Put heaters on, are they hot, if not matrix is ****ed
Check all fluid levels
Check wear on brakes
Listen for tappetty engine on start up, alot do it (nothing to worry about if noise disapears after engine is warm), but will be a good haggling point on price.
Check calipers arnt binding

Also make sure the guy knows you want the engine COLD when you go and look at it.

northy
15-03-2005, 15:26
Well i can assure you the sunroof will leak. Thats £200 to fix.

Make sure the cambelts been changed when its supposed too.

Rust - around the petrol cap, arches, under the front headlights, make sure all the arch liners are in place. If they are missing the mounting points may have rusted away.

Interior damage - sunroof blinds are expensive to replace....

Just use your common sence...there are 308 to choose from.

Tommo
15-03-2005, 16:16
Also give it a HPI check - invaluable!! And make sure there are no excessive gaps in any of the panels as this could point to damage repair

Swervin_Mervin
15-03-2005, 16:33
Well i can assure you the sunroof will leak. Thats £200 to fix.

Unless you do the Swervin clean/lube up job :)

Andyvalver
15-03-2005, 17:04
Also look for rust on the tailgate. Open the boot and look at it

Jamie.
15-03-2005, 18:22
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=&keywords=williams&min_pr=500&max_pr=5000&mileage=0&agerange=&postcode=ll31+9ej&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=4&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

anyones on here the 2nd williams down. any1 been 2 see it already?

northy
15-03-2005, 18:33
gaz two has....he says stay away.

FATBOY
15-03-2005, 19:30

wrong make that 304 to choose from!!!! me you richy and wezo1y have a willy 3! ;0)

J o n
15-03-2005, 19:37

wrong make that 304 to choose from!!!! me you richy and wezo1y have a willy 3! ;0)

plus some will have been killed... i know of two Willy 3 engines in other cars... lol

GazTwo
16-03-2005, 10:06
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_search.asp?modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&make=RENAULT&model=CLIO&variant=&keywords=williams&min_pr=500&max_pr=5000&mileage=0&agerange=&postcode=ll31+9ej&miles=1500&max_records=50&source=0&photo=1&sort=4&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

anyones on here the 2nd williams down. any1 been 2 see it already?

Yep drove past this in Manchester so pulled over to have a look, wheels are completley the wrong colour as u can tell and are corroding again, rust on the arches, filthy as u can see in the pic, interior wasn't looking good either, was just shy of 100k about 2 weeks ago so will probably be over 100k by now I should imagine....defo one to stay away from.

Don't see the point in owning any car like a Williams and paying the insurance etc...to treat it like some old banger.

skipp123
17-03-2005, 15:06
northy or fatboy could you poss put this in the tips for buying a williams please as i found the info quite usefull and have printed it for when i go and view a williams.... :?: