PDA

View Full Version : Alarm help?

grrljo
30-12-2005, 17:02
Over the summer I started having problems with my alarm, as in I would start my car up and my alarm would come on. And I'd have to disconnect the battery to shut it up - my key didn't stop it. I don't have any of copiesof the key to disable the alarm or immobiliser and Renault were crap when it came to trying to hold of some - my local dealer didn't know what I was on about. In the end it gradually stopped doing it and I kinda forgot about it. But in the last few days it's started doing it again.
Now the thing is I think the alarm might actually be switched off already, my indicators don't flash when I lock it and it seems like it can't be set off by anything (apart from turning over the engine :? )
So I don't really know what I'm meant to do about it, Renault have said they'll kindly charge me £300 plus vat to do something like disconnect it (yeah, like thats worth the money!)
Does anybody know why this might be happening, would it be ok for me just to disconnect the siren? And if it is ok to disconnect it, how would I do it?!?!? :D
Also companies that fit alarms and stuff say they won't touch the factory fitted alarm!

BigBoreBri
30-12-2005, 17:14
What car/alarm unit you got?? There was a few different versions on the valvers like...

grrljo
31-12-2005, 13:01
Where would I look to find that out?!? It'a a phase 2 valver (1995) if thats any help.

BigBoreBri
31-12-2005, 14:07
I'll dig up some stuff and see what i can find out... I know there's quite a few pages on the "dialogys" program about the valver alarms and fault finding, unfortunatly the only working version i got is at work! :roll:

Its under the "RM" section IIRC should anyone be feeling kind... :wink:

Basically if you look in the driver's handbook from page 1.02 - 1.11 there is a larger chapter on the standard alarm types, there should be a key for the alarm siren (so you disable it) and also for a lock in the passanger footwell (this one disable's just the alarm and not the immobilizer as far as i can tell)... First thing id have to ask is:

1. Do you have all the keys for the alarm?

2. Does the key fob still operate the central door locking?

3. Does the alarm light on the dash (just above the hazard warning one) flash and turn off when the keys at ignition position?

Cheers, Bri.

Justin..
31-12-2005, 17:22
my alarm is behind the washer bottle. same year car

northy
03-01-2006, 09:07
Has this been sorted ?

if not pm me.