PDA

View Full Version : PAS System Refurb!

Coops
27-12-2005, 18:20
i got my new PAS pump n want to fit it, anything i need to know? good idea to drain the system and refill? if so how and what fluid shud i use?!

shud i fill the pump before putting it on? and how do i set about bleeding the system?!!

cheers

Coops

Gav
27-12-2005, 19:45
turn steering wheel full lock to the left - then to the right until it is bled

use ATF [AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID] also

Anders
27-12-2005, 19:56
I hope you got your engine out to fit the new pump.

I had mine out when I fitted mine and even then it was a bit of a bitch.

You will need to make all the area clear first, so alternator, aux belt etc..will need to be removed. Plus the pulley that fits onto the pump is a tolerance fit so it WILL be a cow to get off the old pump. This needs to be done before the pump can be reomved as it goes through a hole in the big bracket holding the alternator.

Just undoing the pipes to the pump will cause most of the fluid to spill out. I got the Slick 50 stuff, and used about 2 litres.

Hope it goes OK.

Coops
27-12-2005, 22:36
I hope you got your engine out to fit the new pump.

I had mine out when I fitted mine and even then it was a bit of a bitch.

You will need to make all the area clear first, so alternator, aux belt etc..will need to be removed. Plus the pulley that fits onto the pump is a tolerance fit so it WILL be a cow to get off the old pump. This needs to be done before the pump can be reomved as it goes through a hole in the big bracket holding the alternator.

Just undoing the pipes to the pump will cause most of the fluid to spill out. I got the Slick 50 stuff, and used about 2 litres.

Hope it goes OK.

not an issue anders mate.........heres my car ATM!!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/The%20Restoration/PC230045.jpg

cheers for the tips fellas!

James Clio 16v
28-12-2005, 00:51
Using Slick 50 in mine as well, seems a lot quieter.

Not pissing PS fluid all over the place now either, seems a little bit thicker.

Anders
28-12-2005, 09:01
Ah well same situation I had then.

Still a bitch to get that pulley off, and be careful not to round off those 3 small torque head screws holding the pulley on. Oh and another thing, mark which way round the pulley is or at least mark its offset, as when it is all re-fitted the gap between the pulley and bracket is really so small so can foul. Or at least mine did first time round. Turning the pulley round solved the problem.

I should imagine hydraulic fluid is hydraulic fluid. The power steering stuff, isn't lubricating anything or subjected to high temps or pressures. So any hydraulic fluid will do, only went for the Slick 50 as the garage I bought my gearbox oil from had a drum of it and it was cheaper than the Reno stuff.

Coops
28-12-2005, 18:39
u drain the whole system then n refil with slick 50? or just top up?!cant b good idea to mix or that not matter?! i already got pulley off old one with no worries, strugglin get pulley of new one tho! drillin it off!lol!

tricky
28-12-2005, 21:22
I should imagine hydraulic fluid is hydraulic fluid. The power steering stuff, isn't lubricating anything or subjected to high temps or pressures. So any hydraulic fluid will do, only went for the Slick 50 as the garage I bought my gearbox oil from had a drum of it and it was cheaper than the Reno stuff.

The hydraulic fluid is lubing the pump that's whirring round at 12,000rpm

Just make sure it's GM approved and it should be OK with the seals, etc.

Coops
28-12-2005, 21:27
yeah but is it okay to mix fluids as a top up? theres still fluid in the system in the rack etc!! so do i need to drain it and if so how?!!!

richy
28-12-2005, 21:47
as long as its the same type of fluid u will be fine, doesnt matter makes just grades, but ATF fluid is ATF fluid normally!

Coops
28-12-2005, 22:34
bugger, i have no idea whats in it! looks like a drain n refil then! how would i set about doing that?!

Coops

BRUN
29-12-2005, 02:06
the Slick 50 stuff will mix with anything, we sell it @ work

Anders
29-12-2005, 09:28
I had the Reno stuff in..that horrible red crap...but couldn't be arsed to drain the whole system down to the rack.

Just emptied the resovior, and held down the lower PAS pipe (that goes around the gearbox up to the pump extension) to remove more of the fluid.

When engine went back in again I just topped it back up with Slick 50 and then bled the system as usual. Works fine, no problems.

BigBoreBri
29-12-2005, 15:26
Is there no bleed nipple on the PAS assembly?? Been thinking off doing fluid in mine soon as its gunna be getting on now, lol

Dont suppose any1 has reno's part no. for the PAS fluid either??

MatBrown
29-12-2005, 18:00
No bleed nipple.
7701389956 PAS Fluid

Mat.

BigBoreBri
29-12-2005, 19:27
Cheers Mat.