PDA

View Full Version : funny noise after major work.

fasterthanjesus
25-12-2005, 10:11
after a mammoth session with the mechanic, my car drives really well, but has a strange noise when i turn the steering wheel.

it sounds as if the pas is making a rough noise.

the car also makes a high pitched noise whilst driving, occasionaly it goes for a tiny bit then comes back.

at low speed its very noticable, at high speed its still there just about.

the car has recently had new cambelt and clutch. mechanic says its just air trapped in the pas pump and will eventually cease.

its been a week now and it sounds awful. im not 100% convinced and need a second opinion before i ask him to have a look.

cheers and merry xmas.

ftj

VIPERONE
25-12-2005, 11:35
turn engine on
pop bonnet up
remove power steering cap
re-enter vehicle,,, turn the steering wheel full lock left and full lock right slowly. do this 5 times each way.
replace power steering cap
system should be bled.

Justin..
25-12-2005, 12:24
turn engine on
pop bonnet up
remove power steering cap
re-enter vehicle,,, turn the steering wheel full lock left and full lock right slowly. do this 5 times each way.
replace power steering cap
system should be bled.

ill give that a go, i just put some forte power steering fluid treatment in but made no difference

FATBOY
25-12-2005, 13:06
I think its a known fact the the PAS pumps on these cars are always noisy!

Justin..
25-12-2005, 13:09
yeah i accept that , but mine has moments where is vibrates through the steering wheel lol

Gav
25-12-2005, 13:11
mine did and i did what Gunner said and now its ****in A!

MatBrown
26-12-2005, 02:40
Yeah, as gunner said but do it with the engine off first.
Top up if needed.

Mat.

fasterthanjesus
26-12-2005, 11:41
cheers. will give it a go.

Jimbob
26-12-2005, 17:15
'mammoth session with the mechanic' :shock:

fasterthanjesus
27-12-2005, 10:50
bah. slight improvement, but it still sounds like a bomber taxi/sherman tank when i start her up.

if i turn the wheel to full lock, the sound does go.

would driving with the cap off for a few miles do any harm ?

VIPERONE
27-12-2005, 10:56
just keep bleeding it but try look in the cap// see if bubbles are present when you turn slowly from lock to lock...also try spray wd 40 on the aux belt. if the noise subsides try making an adjustment to the belt.

Purple
27-12-2005, 10:57
Can you record the noise and put it up as an mp3 somewhere on the net? That might help us identify the problem. Or at least learn what a sherman tank sounds like :)

fasterthanjesus
27-12-2005, 13:39
lmao.

tried to record noise, now ive got a flat battery. seems that my car doesnt like to be left unrun for more than 2 days.

maybe i need a new battery/heavy duty?

/sigh /grumble.

Chris H
28-12-2005, 11:19
sort out your earthing to get rid of the discharge problem and also everything will be improved, starting, running, lights etc.

fasterthanjesus
03-01-2006, 20:27
just an update for my regular viewers...

new pas pump ordered and being fitted wednesday.

according to urban legend, old/worn pumps dont like being drained.

the only thing i havent changed since october is the rear view mirror. :wink:

Swervin_Mervin
04-01-2006, 11:48
How much is it costing you to get it fitted mate? Just had mine done and it wasn't cheap!

Made the world of difference though.