PDA

View Full Version : torsion bar

lewis_willy2
21-12-2005, 17:59
ok thanx to naples_16v my car is now 55mm lower on the front and bout 60-65mm on the back!

springs and dampers arrived yesterday and 8pm las nite got the springs on, not with out troubles tho.... the nut on the top of the strut..... well the bit you put the allen key socket bit in was broke! didnt grip, but other side was fine! theres always something anyway soldiering on got a sledge hammer....

and wedge the wooden end up the wheel arch and manged to lock the spring and damper in place and undo the nut, took about an hour and a half but it drove so well i was so happy and that was with the rear about 5 inches higher than the front!

as i finished work early 2day i decided to print off zeds torsion bar guide and had a crack, how easy, took bout an hour and a half to do both sides, one side sat bout 10mm lower so had to fix that about 3 times, all in all its f***in low, not had a proper drive yet and its 2 dark for piccies so i will post some 2mro....

also 2 do 2mro:

16v carpet
adjust handbrake
put apex rear dampers on 8)
and fit my 16v front calipers discs and pads

and give her a clean :D

anyone had any probs doing torsion bar???

Gav
21-12-2005, 18:12
I did because it was seized, but old man soon sorted that and flew through it...was pretty easy

i also used zed's torsion bar guide....proper good stuff

Lunner
21-12-2005, 18:15
The sturt tops always seize and cus they ahve a nylock insert in them the plus gas etc doens't penetrate.

Either apply some heat to melt the nylock insert, or take it downa local garage and get them to get the impact gun on them, i ahve an impact gun i got from makro for a tenner, hasn't failed me yet :D

I can do a torsion bar in 20 mins now lol, spray plenty of plus gas in the ends and middle if its the open type a day or so before to loosen it all, and when you put it back in grease up the splines so it doens't seize again

Gav
21-12-2005, 18:21
is a bitch lineing the spines up when putting it back in tho, thats what took me the longest

Justin..
21-12-2005, 18:32
glad to hear ya got em mate 8)

Lunner
21-12-2005, 18:45
is a bitch lineing the spines up when putting it back in tho, thats what took me the longest
Just try it, if not rotate it, only usually takes a few attempts

Gav
21-12-2005, 18:53
yer that i found out....pisses u off cuz i marked it up so i knew where it went backk in after and it didnt fit! but it did eventually

Lunner
21-12-2005, 18:56
I can see i'm gonna ahve to hand my number out at teh meet for techie info.....pint per phone call :lol:

Coops
21-12-2005, 18:59
how u unseize ur torsion bar williams-jr? mines well stuck and the cars way too low! its rippin my exhaust to pieces everytime i come off my drive, or leat it will be like it was when its runnin again!! :lol:

Lunner
21-12-2005, 19:03
Plus gas and pull lol, think Winston had to replace his whole torsion bar

lewis_willy2
21-12-2005, 20:45
use the socket and thread method

it works wonders

jus been for a drive but when i give it some round roundabouts it rubs also on bumpy roads, gna lift it a bit more 2mro, also these apex dampers ive got, are they gna b more solid than the standard ones?

Gav
21-12-2005, 21:07
yer i used the nut n thread method fella, see me on msn or pm me and i'll tell you

Justin..
22-12-2005, 04:11
use the socket and thread method

it works wonders

jus been for a drive but when i give it some round roundabouts it rubs also on bumpy roads, gna lift it a bit more 2mro, also these apex dampers ive got, are they gna b more solid than the standard ones?

i found them alot stiffer