PDA

View Full Version : Knocking noise coming from front wheel

matty
20-12-2005, 18:03
Slightly worried by this which tends to be on accelerating, braking and sometimes on bumps.

Thinking it could be ball joint as sure I had similar noise last time one went. So could be time for other one to be replaced.

Not had chance to get on ramps yet as its dark and total stab so if anyone knows what it could be help would be appreciated.

Just phoned my local GSF who don't stock ball joints but do stock lower arms with them fitted. If changing that I guess it will screw up my coilover set up. Guess its a good idea to chane tie rod ends at same time?

Scott-16v!
20-12-2005, 18:14
i've got the same thing aswell, coming from the front drivers side and reckon its the ball joint

BigBoreBri
20-12-2005, 18:16
Most likely lower ball joint or top strut bearings mate...

Cant think of anything else to cause that kinda noise! :?

Scott-16v!
20-12-2005, 18:18
is it like a hollow sort of knocking sound?

matty
20-12-2005, 18:27
Yeah kinda hollow. Does remind me of knocking sound from when last one went but not gonna do myself this time of year. But that one was only on bumps like rumble strips in road etc and didn't do it when accelerating or decelerating.

Getting car into garage after work thursday and can't really afford to be without car over xmas so looks like will have to get whole lower arm and ball joint if thats how GSF are supplying them. Think they quoted 25 quid.

matty
20-12-2005, 18:32
i've got the same thing aswell, coming from the front drivers side and reckon its the ball joint

Mines front drivers side too !!!!

Scott-16v!
20-12-2005, 18:41
let me know if you get it sorted and i'll try the same as you :lol:

matty
20-12-2005, 19:12
My mechanic is in Leamington and often works cash in hand so if you have any trouble Derby way, although Hillpower is in your neck of the woods, can recommend place I use.

Thinking of getting tie rods changed at same time, and if it screws up my coilover settings will do both sides and then get re set.

matty
22-12-2005, 19:00
Had wheel checked and there is some play in ball joint area.

Garage is manic so cannot get fitted till next friday. Went to GSF to pick up lower arm/balljoint after being advised they keep in stock. Turns out they don't. And Balljoing is available (just under £10) which they said wasn't on phone.

Still getting lower arm at £25 to cover all bases and if its worth doing, may as well do it proper. Renault charge £50 so shows how much you can save from GSF.

dannyt
22-12-2005, 20:30
so for 25 notes that will fix the knocking noise lads?

mine is doing a similar thing over bumps, buts its on the passenger side!

matty
30-12-2005, 15:01
Got it all sorted this morning. Collected new lower suspension arm at 24.50 plus VAT minus 10 per cent cliosport discount. Good you no longer get a members card, just quote cliosport and you should get it.

1 hour to fit at 30 quid an hour cash in hand plus a fiver for new link for ARB which was seized.

Also got steering column welded for another 30 quid and al that play I had is now gone.

Stocked up on wiper blades, oil filters, and a new dizzy and rotor for later.

neilc
30-12-2005, 15:26
mine is knocking on the drivers side aswell lol