PDA

View Full Version : ABS keeps cutting in

dan-hipgrave
19-12-2005, 12:10
When braking normally, my ABS sometimes cuts in for no reason, and then the ABS light stays on until i turn the engine off. Also, sometimes when starting the car the ABS light stays on.

Before i take a slow drive to a Renault garage, are there any checks i can do myself for basic problems??

Dan

fab
19-12-2005, 12:23
the obvious is the sensors.have you had the wheels off recently or any work on the braking system?
I imagine the abs has some sort of control unit.perhaps you could try to reset this by disconnecting the battery.

dan-hipgrave
19-12-2005, 12:27
i changed the front pads & disks a few months back, had no problems until lately, and then yesterday and today the ABS cut in while normally braking :shock:

Might try disconnecting the battery, but i guess i wont know if its helped straight away..

Cheers.

fab
19-12-2005, 12:36
Lukin over previous posts you may want to check that your charging system(battery alternator voltage reg)is in order.
good luck.

dan-hipgrave
19-12-2005, 12:40
why's that then mate?

fab
19-12-2005, 12:49
http://williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3390&highlight=abs&sid=ef9ecfa8527978162c2c235d1334faa0

but probably the most efficient way is to get someone to check it with a diag clip etc. :wink:

dan-hipgrave
19-12-2005, 12:55
ahh thanks for your help mate, am going to disconnect the battery now, and clean up the sensors....

northy
19-12-2005, 13:49
Hi mate

Removing the battery doesnt do anything pal. (although i didnt know that in June / july :wink: )

If it was me i would remove all 4 wheels individually and wire brush the abs ring. Then gentally spray brake cleaner up into the ABS sensor (do not try and remove it as it will be siezed solid) and clean with a rag.

That sould give you a real good base to work from pal.

The ABS will cut in on hard / agressive braking very early on williams 3's.

How are your brakes in general - really good or really bad.

dan-hipgrave
19-12-2005, 16:45
cheers for the info Northy..

My brakes arent too bad, but to me they dont seem as good as the 256mm Astra GSi brakes i used to have on my old Nova. I never use them hard or aggressively, and when the ABS cut in this morning, i was braking slowly from 30mph!!

I'll give the wire brushing a go tommorrow, have just finished wiping them all off with a rag and giving them a coat of WD40.

Trouble is i wont know if its cured for a while, as it seems random as to when the light comes on/ABS cuts in

northy
19-12-2005, 17:00
it will be mate.

But aslong as its not on for the MOT you'll be right.

My light came on the other day pal....think its something to do with a certain wheels position....i need to investigate when i get a spare 5 mins.

Chris H
20-12-2005, 09:51
the abs is an arse, really is.

Could be sensors, could be the reluctor ring or even a slightly iffy wheel bearing.

if you have a scope then its easy to check the sensor output. Even a quick reacting multimeter will let you knwo if the sensor is reading the ring right.