PDA

View Full Version : Car pissing oil again!

Willy 2
16-12-2005, 20:46
Well some of you may remember that i bought a second hand gearbo0x of ebay several months ago. Well recently it has been smoking a lot from under the bonnet. A lot of oil splatterd all over the place. Anyway we deduce thats down to a faulty gearbox shaft oil seal. Whilst we were at we we decided to put on a new crankshaft oil seal to eliminate all possibilities.

Bearing in mind i have been doing this alongside running my new business it has been busy and stressful to say the least.

Anyway having put on my new Decat today couretsy of Lunner i was just finishing things off getting her ready for her maiden voyage. I put quite a lot of effort to get it all done for this evening.

One trip round the block and firstly its not selecting fifth - no major biggy i'll adjust the gearbox linkage. Then i realise that its pissing oil and burning it on the downpipe cover.

My old man and i cannot believe what were seeing. Absolutley dejected and tired - i am so dissalusioned its not even funny :cry:

Have just had a look at the Haynes in more detail though. It appears it could be our fault afterall. When we put in the new Crankshaft oil seal it went in a bit further than before. So we pushed it right in. Thinking that it should butt up against the block and form a perfect seal.

However the haynes manual shows that there is a very slight recess on the crankshaft at the flywheel end. Were guessing that we went beyoned this and has the effect that the oil seal is now too large.

What are peoples opinions / ideas? Can you push a crankshaft oil seal in too far? Haynes shows theres as right on the edge.

Im soo pissed of now, cos either way i have to do this all over again and i cant afford to spend anymore time doing this. :evil:

FATBOY
16-12-2005, 22:36
you will get there mate!!!! perseverance!!!!! remember we all knew what we were getting into buying these renaults!!!! keep us updated! :D