PDA

View Full Version : red top or f7r?

Mattie
15-12-2005, 23:07
which can be tunned easier and 4 less money?

also would a williams shell be quicker with either 1 of these engines in?....

i know there both 150bhp standard but what about torque etc

what are peoples thoughts :-k

Dancliovalver
15-12-2005, 23:09
i would have sed F7R but i dont really knwo much about the red tops

besides stay faithful :wink:

Mattie
15-12-2005, 23:20
lol was speakin 2 a few people on CS (sum1s sellin a corsa red top on there) and the guy whos sellin sed it just edged a willy both standard i think apart from minor mods, and another guy sed his m8s red top hit a max of 159mph :shock:

Dancliovalver
15-12-2005, 23:28
lol if i remember correctly the vaxhall speedo is well ot, was racin a mate in his cav GSI, he rckoned his was doin 145ish MPH, i had bout 130 MPH on my speedo (when i had chance to look)

me girlfriends bro bought a cav 1600 just as a crappy run about and it pulled 90 in second :shock: lol

Martin
15-12-2005, 23:52
XE (red top) is cheaper and easier to extract power out of..

big hp
15-12-2005, 23:53
Red top engines are superb and most make good power. Its easy to extract power from them for little money.

edde
16-12-2005, 00:33
Red top is a better engine for tunning plus being common there more bits out there.

VIPERONE
16-12-2005, 00:37
great engines good torque.. i race a 2.0l nova and nailed it to 100 then he passed me lol

clowo16v
16-12-2005, 01:26
Yeh redtops are very cheap to tune. I know it seems like i'm taking the piss out of Craig (which i'm not his car is an awesome beast) but for the money that was spent on that engine you could probably build a red top with another 100bhp.

The engine in my mates dads kit car Astra rally car cost just less than 6 grand and was making 295bhp ATW. Only problem was the Quaife boxes wouldn't take that much power and the X-Trac boxes are £18k lol.

See ya

Matt

Plattsy
16-12-2005, 01:30
red tops can normally be seen with more power as tuning parts are cheaper for them since almost everyone makes something for them! its easier to get a turbo for one aswell since there are redtop engines with turbos straight from the factory whereas the f7r has never seen a turbo at renault.
If you want stupid power for little cash go for the red top! the f7r could probably be tuned to the same but would cost your right bollock aswell as ur left one and probably both arms and legs.....

BenR
16-12-2005, 04:55
when you push both engines to their limit, they will kinda level out at the same power for the same cost, steel/titainium components cost the same whether they are for one engine or another.

Right out of the box though, the F7 can make more on its std inlet manifold, but the XE can make more with just a swap to bodies, but its only a few brake difference.

Mattie
16-12-2005, 09:26
gd insite there lads :)

any ideas which engines more reliable or is better at withstandin mods and wear?

Chris H
16-12-2005, 09:43
vx engine is a deent enough head design due to cosworths input.

The bottom end doesn't like high revs. The ren engines have the spray bars under the pistons which the Xe doesn't, the LET boys try their hardest to get the bars into them though. The sprays help maintain piston cooling and better high revs bore lubrication.

The XE is the one to have for tried and tested reasonably priced upgrades.

The belter of an engine which is better than the C20Xe is the C16Xe which is found in corse GSi's etc. The 9 foot or whatever it is of induction tubign restricts the power down, remove that, fit a mantzel inlet and you can get nigh on 150bhp out of the box. sbd have a 16xe over 250bhp and emmisions compliant.

2 live
16-12-2005, 10:30
id say the red top is easier to tune cos more companies have played with em.

i was thinkin about a red top in the mini, but its been done to death, and as ben says, they will eventually even out, which is why im going with the willy lump, shud see the diffrences wen i eventually finish it and line it up against a redtop. hehe......shud b fun

BRUN
16-12-2005, 20:41
might sound a bit daft this because of the above comments, but my mates got a Corsa with a 2L red top in it, now i dont know about 100+ cos i dont do that kind of speed, but at about 30-70 ish i can stay with it no problem

Craig
16-12-2005, 20:50
another factor is the car the engines gonna be in!

martin kicked that 2 litre nova turbo's arse at donnington on the corners, but he was pulling away on the straight! and that was obvoulsy a track car so had uprated suspension etc!

handling wasnt great at all!

that engine in a clio would be :twisted: :twisted:

Plattsy
17-12-2005, 13:42
doesnt martins weigh 0.3kg tho? :P

Martin
17-12-2005, 13:54
doesnt martins weigh 0.3kg tho? :P

Me and Craig 2up so we were probably running stnd weight... I expect the turbo lump in a nova is even more weight over the front which you don't want....either way it was'nt that quick.

Craig
17-12-2005, 14:02
novas are pretty light even as standard tho

2 live
17-12-2005, 14:18
tbh.....the nova at donny was fukkin slow... i had no problems gettin past it at all in the jesus' motor, caught it on a straight, got held up behind it on a couple corners, then passed it on the exit of the right hander b4 the long straight.

altho i have raced a corsa 2.0 turbo comin outta york.......he was leaving me on the straights, but i was gaining the gap back on the corners, couldve passed him a couple times too if it had been safe.....but a broken downpipe stopped play for me, accelerating out of a tight ish left hander, booted it , major loud noise as tho zorst had fell off....fukker...was good fun tho and it was v quick in a straight line