PDA

View Full Version : Shall I Cut My Loses?

Illusion
14-12-2005, 14:19
Guys, as some of u may know my luck with Willy is pretty crap...

I've had her since 2003 and since then i've spent ££££'s trying to keep her on the road including a GDI rebuild when the cambelt snapped :x

For awhile now i've have had major handling issues and want to get to the bottom of it. I managed to get her on a ramp last week to measure the camber, toe and caster and to no surprise they were all out.

My rear axle seems to bent as I have one wheel that sticks out further than the other.

Body work wise is getting worse, I got the usual probs by the arches, a dent in the bonnet and about 3 weeks ago someone done a hit and run on my car at work, so now I have the drivers side front bumper hanging off a bit. Every day something is knocking, going over speedbumps feels wobbly and she looks like a right state :cry:

So do I cut my losses and see what I can get for her, or do I try and stick with it, sort out this handling crap i've got and get a re-spray?

Does anyone know who I can get to give this the full once over so know exactly how much i'm looking at? I've contacted infinicar but have had no reply, GDI/Angel Works was my first option as i've already had work done by them, but travelling up there to get a quote and then taking the willy back up to get the work done seems a bit long winded.

I'm guessing a decent respray will cost around £1200???

All comments and suggestions are welcome

Ian

Tommo
14-12-2005, 14:29
imo I would cut your losses mate, unless you are willing to spend a lot money to get it mint, but sounds like you have already spent a fortune and still not right. You need to work out how much it would cost to get the car up to scratch, then see if you are able to buy another one for the money you would spend. There are still some good ones out there mate, just need to keep a look out!

If you did decide to fix the problems I would recommend Prima Racing to sort out your suspension etc. and Nick Hill to give your engine the once over, he knows his stuff (as you're probably aware). You would be looking at serious money though mate!

Good luck anyway whatever you decide!

northy
14-12-2005, 14:50
Hi mate, i'd keep with it.

Yours is the only 3 i know with no sunroof....either that or sell it me :D

Rear axles are £100 second hand max.
ReSpray £1500 for a full shell paint.
Bumper £100 (i have a new one if u want)
Get the tracking done.....

Daz
14-12-2005, 16:25

To be honest, I wouldn't get a respray - it does more damage to value than anything.. just look at the 28k mile one.

Just get it tidyed up where needed.

Dancliovalver
14-12-2005, 16:29
i second that mate, as much as i love the look of a resprayed car, i wouldnt buy a williams that has had a respray, it looks kinda sus, but its up to u,

if u really feel its draining all ur money then get rid of it but if u feel u may be able to survive and bring a magnificent car back to life then it would be a great project to get it looking minty minty :wink:

Lunner
14-12-2005, 17:20

****ing how much!!!

PGTi got thier project car sprayed up by a very good reputed compnay, and they printed a voucher for £450 for a solid colour, retail is £650 thats for a full respray

northy
14-12-2005, 18:04
HEEHEE, for £1500 u take them your car and they strip it to just a shell and its painted 360.

No other company can offer this from what i have seen.

James Clio 16v
14-12-2005, 18:14
I've contacted infinicar but have had no reply,

Think Paul is concentrating on the breaking business now tbh

J o n
14-12-2005, 19:32
bet i've still spent a lot more fixing mine! lol

spend spend spend imo.

like you i have had enough, but find it hard to let go after ploughing over £7k alone at repairs, so i'm getting another car and taking this one off the road to sort EVERYTHING

Daz
14-12-2005, 20:35

****ing how much!!!

PGTi got thier project car sprayed up by a very good reputed compnay, and they printed a voucher for £450 for a solid colour, retail is £650 thats for a full respray

To be honest, £450 is what I'd expect to pay for two good arches to be done properly.. not the whole car.

Zollo
14-12-2005, 20:39
Get the axle sorted and it'll handle so much better that you'll want to keep it. You'll have to get it done anyway, cos you probably won't be able to sell it handling how it is anyway.

Once that's done, then see how you fell. If you still feel like the work is too much, sell it.

Illusion
15-12-2005, 12:10

Good memory mate :)

I've contacted infinicar but have had no reply,
Yeah I just received an e-mail from him this morning say that he doesn't do that anymore and suggests that I talk to team think.
Has anyone had any work done with them before?

Thanks for your replies guys, i'm still a little undecided on what to do, if I do keep it I won't be able to get all the work done at once.

So do I sort out the handling/suspension first or sort out the cosmetics?

northy
15-12-2005, 12:15
handling.

Illusion
15-12-2005, 12:17

****ing how much!!!

Lunner do u know who the spray job was done by - do have that voucher by any chance???

Daz
15-12-2005, 14:04
handling.

Yep, definetly.
Once you drive the car and it feel right, you'll just want to keep it.

A car going wrong, no matter what it looks like, will annoy you.. heh.

Illusion
15-12-2005, 15:12
handling.

Yep, definetly.
Once you drive the car and it feel right, you'll just want to keep it.

A car going wrong, no matter what it looks like, will annoy you.. heh.

Yeah true,

It's definately the way she handles right now is pissin' me off most, sometimes I feel scared just to gun it, just incase something happens....no fun in that.

I think i'll give Andy/Ben a bell and see what can be done.

BRUN
15-12-2005, 15:43
is Rentech not closer to you ?

Illusion
15-12-2005, 19:59
is Rentech not closer to you ?

Where's Rentech - never heard of 'em?!?

Rich_16v
15-12-2005, 20:10
Portsmouth

Fred
16-12-2005, 00:20
i doubt its a bent rear beam, maybe a stub axle??? (i've bent 3 of them!!)

they're about 30/40quid ago

rear bearings???

bushes??

shocks??

snapped spring??

buckled wheel??

VIPERONE
16-12-2005, 00:38
#^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it could be worse, you could have had residue that ****ed your engine..ie sand that got sucked in via inlet lol

smokey
16-12-2005, 14:21

****ing how much!!!

To be honest, £450 is what I'd expect to pay for two good arches to be done properly.. not the whole car.

Yeah as daz says, I paid £310 iirc for 1 arch to be 'properly' fixed, I'd say a decent spray job will cost you circa £1250-1500

At the end of the day you get what you pay for with a respray

Illusion
16-12-2005, 16:09
....buckled wheel??

Ahh Fred I need to speak to u about that...I've still got a feeling my wheels could be buckled...

Are u still selling refurbed sets?