PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifold to downpipe gasket

James Clio 16v
13-12-2005, 23:55
Is it a major problem if I don't have one?

My 16v engine didn't have one, but the Williams did. I tried fitting the Williams one to the car, but I can only get the spring and nut on the o/s of the manifold started, I can't get the other spring compressed enough to start the nut off.

Any ideas please, because I don't want to leave it off, if it is going to cause me problems.

Thanks

James

Justin..
14-12-2005, 00:26
leave it off, itll soon fill up with soot :P lol nah i dont have a clue sorry

tricky
14-12-2005, 01:23
You have to take the studs out , fit the spring and nut to them with about 2 turns and then wind the whole assembly back in until it tightens up. It gives you a few more cm to play with on each side. It took me ages and cut hands to figure this out too. DOH!!

But I presume that's why the holes in the plate are so big.

I think if you leave the seal off it will blo like a mother ****er

2 live
14-12-2005, 18:48
i take it u took the fire ring off the manifold b4 u tried putting the new one on.

James Clio 16v
15-12-2005, 10:00
It fell off when I undid the manifold from the downpipe when I took the engine out.

In fact it hit me on the head!

2 live
15-12-2005, 11:23
it needs to b there mate.

u shunt really have too many probs fittin the downpipe tho, with the bolts etc, unless its a valver d/pipe n willy fanimold

tricky
15-12-2005, 11:42
Like I said. If it's a williams downpipe and manifold they are an arse to squeeze up so unwind the two studs with: at best stud extractors or worst, use a set of molegrips on the none threaded parts. Then fit the springs (fat end upwards) and wind the nut back on by two turns.

You should then easily be able to hold the flange in place and screw the studs back in. You can even do this from above the engine bay. Then you just need to tighten the nuts. As they get tight, the whole studs will wind back in and voila. done. easy

2 live
15-12-2005, 12:18
never had any problems with any of mine tbh. only when i tried interchanging d/pipes and fanimolds

James Clio 16v
15-12-2005, 16:33
It's a valver fanimold and downpipe on a Williams engine.

I'll give the stud thing a go tonight.

Thanks lads

James

2 live
15-12-2005, 20:55
stick with the willy manifold mate, valver one has a tendancy to rob top end power.

gives a little better low end but loses it at the top

FlamingMonkey
15-12-2005, 21:04
My downpipe gasket is fcked sound ace...lol

Yeah I'd ditch the Valver manifold too, tried it and my overly technical opinion is its shit :shock:

James Clio 16v
16-12-2005, 00:46
Don't have a Willy manifold unfortunately.

The Willy engine came from a hybrid.

I'll be getting a Supersprint when I can afford it.

Anyways, fitted the gasket tonight. Removed one of the studs completely and it went on fine.