PDA

View Full Version : Going back to Novas

clowo16v
12-12-2005, 01:20
After owning a couple of XE'd Novas before I had my licence i've decided to go back to em as they're so cheap to tune compared to Clios.

I've now got all the bits (apart from a shell) to build a very quick Nova. Basically it'll be a 2 litre XE engine with a mildly worked over head, rally cams (3500-8500rpm), lightened & balanced bottom end and a set of GSXR750/1000 throttle bodies controlled by a Megasquirt EFI system. Should be good for well over 200bhp.

The Clio will be for sale around Febuary time. I'll probably hang around on here though as its a nice forum with a friendly atmosphere.

See ya

Matt

Coops
12-12-2005, 01:29
:shock:

Gav
12-12-2005, 10:35
u serious?!

clowo16v
12-12-2005, 12:18
Yeh its gonna be basically a forest rally car with street tyres the handling is easy enough to sort and the engines are loads more tuneable.

See ya

Matt

Gav
12-12-2005, 12:20
why not keep the clio as ur road car n nova for track?

clowo16v
12-12-2005, 12:39
Not got enough £££ and i'm only driving the Clio once a week anyway which isn't good for it. It's also my money to prep a Nova shell to rally spec lol.

See ya

Matt

Jimbob
12-12-2005, 12:50
...if you only drive the Clio once a week, why not save a little and spec that up, would love to see it in the forest. The end result would surely be better? You could get a moped for the daily grind :D

J o n
12-12-2005, 13:57
Nova's are great little project cars now, shame about the image...

one thing to think about is that no matter what you do to the handling it will never be as good as the valver can be... i suppose this is offset by the fact they can be made far quicker though... your choice, just find it a little odd tbh... i'd go Mi16 and carbs route

clowo16v
12-12-2005, 14:08
The main problems with the handling on Novas are bodyshell flex and lack of suspension ajustability. To cure the bodyshell flex i'm fitting a 8 point cage and a plating kit and seaming the shell. To cure the ajustable suspension i'm fitting coilovers, ajustable camer/castor top mounts, and fabricating ajustable bottom arms to widen the track out a bit. I'll probably fit a strutbrace aswell to tighten the front end up a bit. The shell is going to be very light. All the removeable panels are gona be refabricated in fibreglass with no frames or inner door skins. I'm also running lexan windows apart from the windscreen obviously.

Got a 4.5:1 diff to fit aswell so it should go like **** up to about 120mph. Apparantly a similar spec rally engine made just shy of 230bhp so i'm fitting powersteering to try and keep a handle on the torque steer. A few of the rally Novas from yesterday with manual steering were having problems coming out of slow corners with torque steer, but the power steering cars were fine.

See ya

Matt

Dancliovalver
12-12-2005, 16:13
NOVADOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martin
12-12-2005, 17:35
Fair play novas are much easier/cheaper to extract big power from....

Coops
12-12-2005, 20:02
Fair play novas are much easier/cheaper to extract big power from....

tru enuf but despite all the bells n whistles its still a nova!! :lol:

Craig
12-12-2005, 22:05
i like them with phat engines!!

altho handling aint great. there is a turbo'd one thats at every track day iv been too, and its fast as fuk, but martin was nailing him on every bend with ease!

willy55
14-12-2005, 19:54
my mate did one bright white done in rally graphics

all the bits running a 1.6 on throttle bodies
flexi glass
rally fuel tank in spare wheel recess
roll cage even the radio gear it was awesome
but he still dont match my williams for point and shoot abilty

Andyvalver
14-12-2005, 20:01
:shock: OMG. Hope you regret it :wink:

clowo16v
14-12-2005, 20:09
Mine will basically be a rally car that i'll use on the road. Not sure on a colour yet but it'll be stickered up. Getting it as light as possible aswell. With a cage and seam welding + a strut brace it should tighen the body up enough to let the coilovers work properly.

See ya

Matt