PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Scuttle

Swervin_Mervin
14-03-2005, 12:22
Anyone know how structural the scuttle is that the windscreen sits in at the bottom?

RAC man changed the screen on Sat, and I noticed a couple of patches of rust. He was happy for me to have a scrape before he bonded the new one in.

Bloody wish I hadn't! 4 holes now, on the n/s about 2inches up from the base of the screen, just at the edge of the dash. :oops:

Went to spray it with Waxoyl and the can's sodding empty! So I just let him bond the new one in. The holes are now bonded inside the car technically so will it be ok?

KingStromba
14-03-2005, 13:26
*sucks in breath through clenched teeth*

"Worst case a rust worm i ever did see"

Swervin_Mervin
15-03-2005, 12:34
Anyone else?

I was hoping to keep the car long term and go the hybrid route (based on most of the mechanicals now being sound), but now I'm wondering whteher I'd be better off buying another when the time comes.

Or should I wait and then get it welded up?

KingStromba
15-03-2005, 12:36
Just get it sorted. Is it really worth getting rid of a car you know the problems on for one with a whole new can of worms?

Swervin_Mervin
15-03-2005, 12:37
True. Just a bummer it's had a new 'screen in! Suppose it can wait if I know I'm going to get it welded up.

northy
15-03-2005, 12:46
is the screen fully covering it ????

Then aslong as its sealed there will be no worries.

I would leave it....then if the screen is ever changed again - get it sorted before u replace it.

Swervin_Mervin
15-03-2005, 12:57
Yeah northy. The rust is about 2inches up from where the screen is bonded in. It's now inside the car technically.

Just worried it might be important structurally.