PDA

View Full Version : Subframe...

Geezer
08-12-2005, 22:21
Had a little accident a few weeks ago but haven't really thought anything of it. Was doing a oil change the other day and noticed the one side of the subframe has been bent. :cry:

Is it easy to change the subframe while the engine is out? Has anyone got any recommendations on what I should do, best to get a new one or second hand?

Craig

jtrenaultuk
08-12-2005, 23:31
we have plenty of decent secon hand subframes availible at LTR

they are fairly easy to fit if you have done it before and know what order to things in, we do thw whole job incl subframe for 200 8)

Lunner
09-12-2005, 00:11
Subframe is piss easy even wiht engine in, 4 bolts, remove gear linkage and PAS pipes and stearing column and its off

Mattie
09-12-2005, 11:02
Had a little accident a few weeks ago but haven't really thought anything of it. Was doing a oil change the other day and noticed the one side of the subframe has been bent. :cry:

Is it easy to change the subframe while the engine is out? Has anyone got any recommendations on what I should do, best to get a new one or second hand?

Craig

ahh wot a shita! was this wen we went paintballin n it was like an ice ring on my estate? lol

cant u use the subframe from ur other car or is it the same side thats ****d on both of em!?

Allan
09-12-2005, 16:32
yeah they are not hard to work on took me and summy a weekend to do mine and it was bent on both sides :S

much quicker now that we know how it all goes together ;)

Jack it up take off the wheels, depending on if you are going to change the wish bones and arb aswell then you will need to undo all those and remove
or just take off the lot and transfer it over.

as for getting the subframe off
undo the gear linkage, take off the dog bone mount, undo the bolts on the stearing rack, easiest way to get at these are with cranked spanners ( 16mm i think but cant remember might have been 18mm)

undo the bolts on your cat or take off the down pipe which ever looks easier ( we did the down pipe )

then take off the arches (inner parts) you will notice power steering pipes connecect to the subframe along the passnger side near the drive shaft, this needed to be removed too, i had to cut the clips on mine as they were rusted on and then just take out the 4 bolts and drop it down

reverse the process and your all done

or get winston to do it for 200 notes much easier lol :P

Lunner
09-12-2005, 18:24
Shit, forgot about teh dog bone mount :oops:

Geezer
10-12-2005, 15:49
Cheers for the posts lads. Sounds complicated without actually looking inside the bay but I suppose it's pretty straight forward once you can see everything.

Out of interest, where is LTR based?

Aye Harris, was when we went paintballing the other day. Last time I pick you up! :wink:

Maybe be able to use the other car, but I think that may have the same problem.

Craig

Mattie
12-12-2005, 12:40
Cheers for the posts lads. Sounds complicated without actually looking inside the bay but I suppose it's pretty straight forward once you can see everything.

Out of interest, where is LTR based?

Aye Harris, was when we went paintballing the other day. Last time I pick you up! :wink:

Maybe be able to use the other car, but I think that may have the same problem.

Craig

this put a stop your plans 4 now then? or u carrying on?

LTR is up north sumwhere....mishons away from us i think!

Geezer
13-12-2005, 20:22
No chance Harris, plans are still going ahead. Hoping to have the willy engine out for next weekend.

Was looking at the subframe again the weekend, have just noticed the anti-roll bar fixing has snapped off as well! :x

Suppose it's a good excuse to get some new bushes though and paint the damn bar up.

Craig

BRUN
13-12-2005, 23:02
LTR is in Bury

case
18-12-2005, 19:37
I bought a new one from clio spares for about £380.

Its not too hard to fit, fiddly trying to undo the PAS pipe and raise and lower the whole thing. Also refitting the gear linkage can be a bit frustrating.

Lunner
18-12-2005, 21:01
Ouch ....pricy

Geezer
18-12-2005, 23:16
Case was that the cliospares in wolverhampton??

Was going to try them, but didn't fancy paying that much!

Craig

case
19-12-2005, 01:06
not sure where there based to be honest it included delivery.

I thought it was quite a good price to be honest. Yeah its near £400 and you could get a secound hand one for £100 but its new and you know its not bent at all. in my mind if your going to change something like that always go for a new one. but thats just me.

2 live
19-12-2005, 01:59
yep im probs with case on that 1

Chris H
19-12-2005, 09:54
renault sell the clio 16V subframe for £250

and the williams is 370.

Geezer
19-12-2005, 11:52
250 aint too bad from Renault.

I would like to go new if my other one is damaged, but with the williams conversion happening at the moment, money is a little tight!

Thanks again,

Craig

u33db
19-12-2005, 13:59
Sod 100 quid secondhand...you could get one off an RT or similar for under 20...they're all the same basic shape.

tricky
19-12-2005, 17:23
Indeed. Only difference between a 16v subframe and an RT/RN/RL/RSI one is that renault have put some rivnuts in some of the holes to take the bracket for the leccy water pump and PAS hoses.

Williams one is stiffened though, hence the extra £100

Lunner
19-12-2005, 18:24
Pah, just get a 1.2/1.4 one and seam weld it....make it grp A spec :D

Geezer
19-12-2005, 21:05
I'm even more confused now!! :?

So would I need a 16v one with the rivnuts if I have pas?

In theory the williams frame would be more suitable in the long run (for trackday's etc)... or would a RT/RN/RL/RSI seam-welded be just as strong?

Lunner, have you got any more info on the grp a specs?

Craig

u33db
19-12-2005, 22:04
Get a 16v one if its a reasonable price (i.e sub 50quid) otherwise an RT/RSI item will be more than up to the job. Pointless shelling out extra for a williams item as theres countless trackday hybrids that manage without the extra stiffness (oo-er!)...yours will be no different.

Chris H
20-12-2005, 09:53
williams one is just got a coupel of triangular plates welded onto it liek the 19 16V.

The base clio subframe has the holes for the captive nuts to clip into.

so a 1.1 night and day subframe will do the job, just transfer it all over.