PDA

View Full Version : Re-assembly of fuel rail and injectors

James Clio 16v
07-12-2005, 23:26
I'm putting the F7R engine back together and I have a couple of questions about the re-assembly of the fuel rail and injectors.

-The injectors don't seem to be a tight fit into the head. The O rings are all in good condition. Is this a problem? Should I be using some grease around the O rings to seal them? If so, what should I be using?

-The fitting of the fuel supply for the cold start injector doesn't seem to be very tight when I lined up the hole in the nut that secures the supply to the end of the fuel rail. Should I use another small washer on the nut assembly for a tighter fit?

Thanks

James

Chris H
08-12-2005, 09:17
Thats unusual, its normally a bastard nightmare to get the injectors into the head! A we tate of vaseline or similar on them will help them ease and and they will more than likely seal fine.

The 5th injecotr take off, there shjould be 2 copper washers either side of the union, your probably missing 1.

northy
08-12-2005, 09:55
cheers chris

James Clio 16v
08-12-2005, 10:24
I thought it was a bit odd as they were quite dificult to get out, but they were covered in crap. I'll use a bit of vaseline on them to seal them.

I put both of the copper washers back onto the cold start feed, but the hole in the bolt won't line up with the feed if I do it up tight. I think I will use another small washer on the bolt and I should be able to do it up tight then.

Swervin_Mervin
08-12-2005, 11:19
Did you re-use the o-rings? If so is there anything one should do with them before re-fitting?

Chris H
08-12-2005, 12:48
O-rings are tricky to get hold of, most places won;t sell them without the rest of the injector.

If they are split or cracked they are no use to anyone.

If you need to remove them or refit them pop them in a cup of just off the boil kettle water as it makes them supple enough to be rolled over the pintle cap.

Swervin_Mervin
08-12-2005, 12:59
8)

I'm sure one is leaking slowly so want to take them out and refit them. Funnily enough the ones I think has a slight seepage issue is the one with the busted plug. :-k

Chris H
08-12-2005, 13:18
get it running then spray wd-40 at them. That will soon tell you if you have a leak.

Swervin_Mervin
08-12-2005, 13:32
There's a build up of gunge there at the mo. If I clean it it slowly builds up again. This is right round the base of the injector nr the belt end.

Chris H
08-12-2005, 13:34
gunge? well gunge will be oil from a leaky camcover gasket I would say.

Swervin_Mervin
08-12-2005, 13:50
I'll take a pic at some point and ask you then. If it is just cam cover then that's ok. I need to do that at some point anyway.

Nick Hill
08-12-2005, 20:24
James you have not got a problem with the cold start ingector bolt. It does not have to face the feed pipe to the injector as there is a chamber around the base of the feed pipe that the fuel flows around and through to the feed. Just make sure there is a small copper washer each side of the banjo and do it up tight.

BRUN
08-12-2005, 20:30
the Bosch part numbers for the injector seals, are as follows

top - 1280 210 752
bottom - 1280 210 765

James Clio 16v
08-12-2005, 23:57
Thanks Nick, that puts my mind at rest.

I had the retaining clips for the injectors in the wrong place, put them in the right place and Chris you cannot be more right, they are a right bastard to get into the head. All done now though.

Thanks for all your help fellas.