PDA

View Full Version : Normal operating temps

Willy 2
06-12-2005, 18:56
I have just bought a new thermostat and rubber from the stealer (just under £20) and fitted it. Before my car used to heat up quite nicely and never really got past the first quarter of the gauge.

Since having the engine out and back in again its been useless at heating up. So i bought one fitted it today and within a few minutes from a cold engine started creeping up on the temp gauge.

I take it out give it a run and its sitting around the half way mark.

Is this too high?? Got it home left it running for a bit longer and the fan kicks in just over half way. Then cools it back down to just under half way.

What are your cars like?

Justin..
06-12-2005, 19:01
mines a valver takes forever to warm up :roll: gets to the first big line and stays there untill i get in traffic, then goes up to the halfway mark then goes up and down as the fan cuts in

Swervin_Mervin
06-12-2005, 19:02
I'd say normal is halfway to 2/3.

Lunner
06-12-2005, 19:06
Mine sits just over the 10 o'clock mark during normal driving, then in traffic or on a good thrash/hihg speeds goes up to just below the 11 o'clock mark, gets to the 11 oclock mark occasianlly fater a hard run and then sat in traffic etc

TriO`
06-12-2005, 19:10
mine always runs really hot, sometimes it even creeps past the 2/3 mark...

dont know why, maybe my rads buggered coz my coolant is clean as a whistle

J o n
06-12-2005, 19:41
Williams should sit on, just under, or just over the 1/4 petrol equivalent marker (2nd line iirc) and in heavy traffic fan should cut in just over or on the next marker. What i have noticed is if your driving when the car fan normally would cut in it takes longer for it to do so, but this is nothing to worry about. if your really para get a low temp fan switch, these are a fantastic cheap mod to do. i had one, but it blew up for reasons i wont go into (nothing to do with the product itself, so dont worry)

For heating up my car is at full operation temp in about 2 mins on idle... bout 5 mins for oil and engine temp to normal op temp.

Willy 2
06-12-2005, 22:34
Again great feedback, thanks fellas! :D Happy Christmas!!! I guess mine should be ok then. If it snows and we get ice i dont care now cos this heater is fooking amazing. Burn it all off in two shakes of a lambs tale!