PDA

View Full Version : Oil Question

fasterthanjesus
06-12-2005, 12:03
I bought my willy3 early october, and it had just 88k on it, and the oil reading on the dash was full. its now registering at 1/3 oil, and im contemplating getting an oil change and new filter.

questions.

1. im using synthetic oil, 5-40 (or so the previous owner told me), what oil should is the most sensible to put in?

2. Do willys use this amount of oil (im on 90k at the mo)? im not noticing any kind ofblue/black smoke out of the exhaust.

cheers

ftj

Martin
06-12-2005, 12:08
Yup I use fully synth 5w40 .....better for high temp on track...oh yes it's normal that these engines use a lot of oil. I think a litre per 1000miles is normal.

northy
06-12-2005, 12:16
http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7707

stew
06-12-2005, 12:19
I bought my willy3 early october, and it had just 88k on it, and the oil reading on the dash was full. its now registering at 1/3 oil, and im contemplating getting an oil change and new filter.

:shock: :shock: You are ment to check oil every week / second week at least - Using the dipstick in the engine bay (when engine is cold and on a level surface)! I would highly recommend not going on what the in-car gauge says! Your best to keep it topped up at all times, (never more than the max line on the dipstick though) as a car running on low oil will damage the engine. Nothing better for an engine than constant oil and filter changes!

As Martin. says prob best to use a fully synthetic 5w40 oil. Change the oil and filter every 3-4k. The filters are tiny on valvers, so best to change often especially if you drive it hard.

I put 10w40 semi-synthetic in mine this time :oops: :oops: . It's SHITE! Defo best recommended 5w40 for F7R or F7P! I got my 10w40 cheap, so it will tide me over till after xmas or so, then will do another oil change. Not like it takes more than 1hour to do anyway!

fasterthanjesus
06-12-2005, 12:27
thanks for the info.

ive booked mine in for a flush and oil/filter change, would have done it myself at the weekend, but the wife wants me to go christmas shopping (again).

ftj

Swervin_Mervin
06-12-2005, 12:39

:shock: :shock: You are ment to check oil every week / second week at least - Using the dipstick in the engine bay (when engine is cold and on a level surface)! I would highly recommend not going on what the in-car gauge says! Your best to keep it topped up at all times, (never more than the max line on the dipstick though) as a car running on low oil will damage the engine. Nothing better for an engine than constant oil and filter changes!

As Martin. says prob best to use a fully synthetic 5w40 oil. Change the oil and filter every 3-4k. The filters are tiny on valvers, so best to change often especially if you drive it hard.

I put 10w40 semi-synthetic in mine this time :oops: :oops: . It's SHITE! Defo best recommended 5w40 for F7R or F7P! I got my 10w40 cheap, so it will tide me over till after xmas or so, then will do another oil change. Not like it takes more than 1hour to do anyway!

Sorry but that's bobbins. Car should be hot, and then left to stand for 10 mins before checking oil.

10W40 is fine to use and is fine for on track. At 100C 5W40 and 10W40 will have the same viscosity I think you'll find. The difference is that at colder temps the 5W is less viscous. Search the oilman's thread in the guide section.

Swervin_Mervin
06-12-2005, 12:41
Also semi-synth is fine to use and I still don't buy in to this fully synth malarkey.

Martin
06-12-2005, 12:42
I was referring to fully synth being better than semi synth for track work..not 5w over 10w

stew
06-12-2005, 12:51
:oops: :oops:

Ive always check oil from cold. As you get a true reading of the oil in the sump! Maybe it isnt the best way to do it, as the oil isnt warm, each to their own!

As for 10w40 - IMO its SHITE. Not saying its not up to the job, but it takes a little longer to heat up, meaning that my tappets are noiser now! And how often driving round town does the oil temp get up to 100c?? Most engine wear occurs at low temps, therefore using a 5w40 is going to be better for the engine IMO until its warm!

I'm just gonna stick to what i know - 5w40 in future. As for oil, and most things in life, you get what you pay for. You buy cheap oil - it aint gonna be as good as more expensive stuff!

Swervin_Mervin
06-12-2005, 12:54
My oil temps get to 90-100 after a couple of miles.

BRUN
06-12-2005, 14:49
Also semi-synth is fine to use and I still don't buy in to this fully synth malarkey.

grade for grade, fully synth is better than semi synth.....

fab
06-12-2005, 15:07
I just go for the oil with the best odour when the engine is hot!

Lunner
06-12-2005, 15:20

I usually chjeck teh guage each time i start it up, if i see its dropped slightly then i check using the dipstick

Coops
06-12-2005, 19:40
okay, wheres the friggin blasted oil level sensor on my engine? i thought it was next to dipstick, but after i plugged that one back in, the oil temp worked but not the level!!!dammit!!!

Coops!! :evil: