PDA

View Full Version : Do you heel and toe?

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2005, 12:27
?

If so how do you do it, as I find the brake pedal goes wuite low relative to the loud pedal.

J o n
05-12-2005, 12:29
was doing sometimes on track... until the pedal went like a sponge, then it was tres difficult (see impossible...)

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2005, 12:31
Were you using the side of your foot or the heel and toe?

Mooseman
05-12-2005, 12:45
There are a few methods of doing this, depending on the size of your feet! I've seen in car footage of pros braking with the ball of their foot and punching the throttle with the heel on down change, so the foot is near horizontal across the pedals ... only really do-able with smaller feet.

Otherwise, brake with the ball of your foot and blip the throttle on down change with the pinky side of your foot, so the foot is more vertical - helps to wear the right footwear aswell :wink:

J o n
05-12-2005, 13:13
Were you using the side of your foot or the heel and toe?

heel and toe, although not sure which way i prefer it, as sometimes it's comfier to use heel on the brake and toe on the accelerator and sometimes its the other way round... :? not sure which way is correct tho... 2 live does it even when the brakes are shagged somehow, so it is possible, i'm just not very good at it...

left foot braking I can do however... not that there's much point if any at all though...

Rich
05-12-2005, 13:17
well unfortunately i'm blessed wit big feet so its hard for me to do! i have to do it where i'm quick on the blip and gear change to leave me enough time to brake as well! so as you can imagine i'm not too good at it :lol: helped me practice a little when my iscv was on its way out and blipping the throttle kept it alive when coming to a stop! :P

Andyvalver
05-12-2005, 13:21
I dont do it tbh. Sometimes blip the throttle with my heel when braking before a bend to make the gear change smoother. (When im knocking it down a gear at high revs) Dont know what its called when you do that though. :?

Jamie.
05-12-2005, 13:58
I dont do it tbh. Sometimes blip the throttle with my heel when braking before a bend to make the gear change smoother. (When im knocking it down a gear at high revs) Dont know what its called when you do that though. :?

i dont heel and toe, and i couldnt do that above either, i find i have very little co-ordination in my feet when i try to do that. i find it very uncomfortable try to get my foot onto both pedals. i find that i concentrate more on my feet than what is infront of me so i dont bother.

Andyvalver
05-12-2005, 14:04
Just seems to come natuarally to me i think :? You must have big feet :lol:

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2005, 14:24
Well, I'm going to start trying it. Probably only in quiet spots until I get used to it though. Also going to start double de-clutching.

Basically I'mr trying to prolong the life of my 2nd gear synchro for as long as possible.

Andyvalver
05-12-2005, 14:32
Yeah try it on empty roads mate, sounds silly but if your going qiuck and you **** it up you can over shoot your corner, not that i ever have :oops:

northy
05-12-2005, 14:42
do it in the skoda, but never in the williams, not even tried.

J o n
05-12-2005, 15:11
i love your Skoda mate, always makes me laugh that :lol:

northy
05-12-2005, 15:12
HEEHEE, best car there on sunday mate.

Willy 2
05-12-2005, 15:19
I do it all the time, and i have big feet. The method id use is wack my wide size 12's on half the brake pedal, whilst flicking at an angle onto the accelerator.

The reasons i do it are

a) the pro's do it :D
b) its fun
c) Its less stress on the engine and gearbox because your "mating" the correct gear to match the revs.
d) its become a habit. I do it in all cars.

Its kind of similar to if im racing wiv me mates, if my mate boots it and catches me unawares i blip the throttle whilst selecting 2nd for example. Once your used to it, its a quick as any gearchange i would normally do.

Zollo
05-12-2005, 15:20
Adam has found a way of making H&T easier by adjusting the pedals. Might be worth asking him Merv'...

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2005, 15:33
Adam...?

Zollo
05-12-2005, 16:39
arj256 :)

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2005, 16:41
AHA. Thank you.

FlamingMonkey
05-12-2005, 17:09
HEEHEE, best car there on sunday mate.

For all of 10 mins :P

northy
05-12-2005, 17:13
lol, was there for a good hour mate, but our lass was wanting to make a move.

hence the reson we left.

Did better than gunner didnt i ?

FlamingMonkey
05-12-2005, 17:23

hence the reson we left.

hehe everyone does better than gunner, my dads been to more meets than him

derv
05-12-2005, 18:36
i find the clio pedals are all over the place and if im braking i cant reach over very well to the accellerator. on the angelsey track day when the instrutor drove my car i think he was struggling with it to cus he only did it on 2 corners

northy
05-12-2005, 18:38

hence the reson we left.

hehe everyone does better than gunner, my dads been to more meets than him

pmsl !

Waitey
05-12-2005, 19:00
I heel and toe all the time. Makes the changes alot smoother. I have size 10 feet with are just right for the clio.

Hell i even heel and toe in my works nissian terrano 4x4!!

Fred
05-12-2005, 19:22
all the time

arj256
05-12-2005, 19:43
Yeah i used to do it all the time in my 1.2, made everything much more smoother and just became habbit.
Then i got my valver and found the accelerator pedal was higher than the brake biting point, which made it hard to do due to having big feet, so when i was playing around with the car i found i could adjust the throttle cable so that it was much lower down.
So i put it down abit and checked that i still could get full throttle and its done the trick, can now heel and toe much easier.
I would of kept it, but being tall my foot can't move sideways enough, as my knee hits the dash. I angle my foot abit and it does the trick, worth doing imo.

Lunner
05-12-2005, 22:28
I can do it on the road, but i can't do it quick enough to use it on track, will ahve to practise.

I ahve big feet, so just do half foot on one pedal and half on the other, fitting wide after market pedals helps too :)

Tommo
05-12-2005, 23:31
Excuse my ignorance but I still don't get this heel and toe thing, so you place your heel on the brake pedal and use your toes for the throttle? Can somebody show me a picture of this cos it sounds so awkward and I can't see the benefits! I can drive & change gear quickly enough the normal way!

arj256
05-12-2005, 23:36
Heres a gif which a quick google turned up:

http://bmw4u.co.kr/ttboard/data/DRIVING/heel_toe.gif

You do it when your braking and are changing down gears and blipping the accelerator before going to a lower gear and then releasing the clutch means the engine is at the correct rpm thus the car wont jolt, when it is at high rpm in a low gear.

Lunner
05-12-2005, 23:38
Can't turn my foot like that for shit, just use half of one foot on one pedal and half on the other

Lunner
05-12-2005, 23:43
http://www.lunner.co.uk/williamsclio/heeltoe.JPG

lewis_willy2
05-12-2005, 23:52
look at those canoes!!!

i tried out 2nite but haveny quite got it, my m8 does in his mk2 golf gti always, and left foot braking round roundabouts,also on lunch at college he always seems to drift round asda roundabout perfectly i mite add into the car park!

crazy

richy
06-12-2005, 00:04
i can honestly say i dont, mainly due to having big feet lol

Tommo
06-12-2005, 01:02
Nice one arj!!

I'm gonna try this on the way to work tomorrow... 8)

derv
06-12-2005, 18:09
this is why its hard to do it in mine anyone elses pedals set out like this?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/derv1980/my%20car/pedals.jpg

stew
06-12-2005, 18:21
Looks better than the way my pedals are! My clutch sits higher than the brake, and when applying the brake the pedal goes down a lot lower than the accelerator. So its hard work heel-toe braking, but i do it by braking with the left side of my foot, and blip the throttle with my right side by flicking it. Works ok, but should really get some decent pedal covers :shock: so i can get the pedals setup correctly!

Swervin_Mervin
06-12-2005, 18:31
this is why its hard to do it in mine anyone elses pedals set out like this?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y1/derv1980/my%20car/pedals.jpg

The acc. pedal needs turning through 90degrees that's why! :P

derv
06-12-2005, 19:29
hehe, is there any way of actually moving the pedal? that alloy one is fastenened directly ontop of the plactic one and cus of the metal bar cannot really bolt it further down

Jan
06-12-2005, 20:19
I just use the side of my foot 8)

My accelerator sits to high to heel-toe normally and I could never be bothered to slacken if off a bit :roll:

derv
06-12-2005, 21:45
lol my foot wont reach, the accellerator actually sits about an inch further back than the brake pedal, i might try and sort it some day :P

Purple
07-12-2005, 16:11
I think the gas pedal is set too high relative to the brake pedal. I wear size 42 shoes and there's no way I can twist my heel round to hit the gas pedal.

But, IMHO, with the flat torquey engine and lively chassis on the Williams, the throttle-steer is enough to keep me entertained round corners without losing too much speed.

Jamie.
07-12-2005, 16:21
i find i rev it too much. cant get the balance right, and id rather not practice in a car i dont wana fuk up, thats what our parents cars are for

Lunner
07-12-2005, 16:32
i find i rev it too much. cant get the balance right, and id rather not practice in a car i dont wana fuk up, thats what our parents cars are for

Give it a blip before you bring the pedal up

OneEyedWilly
08-12-2005, 13:28
I find it real easy to do when just drving normally.

When I'm gving it beans and braking heavily I find the brake pedal drops too far below the gas pedal. Which means letting off the brake in order to do it. :oops: which isn't very wise.

When you get it right it makes so much sense. I even had a passenger compliment my car on how smooth it was going down the gears. lol.

Mk2 btw.

y0z2a
11-12-2005, 04:45
was doing sometimes on track... until the pedal went like a sponge, then it was tres difficult (see impossible...)

i managed it you tart, even when i didn't have any brakes left!

lol

don't bother, just throw it in, its a williams, you'll get it around if you can drive!

:-)

/y0z

Tom_16v
12-12-2005, 00:52
Can't really do it very well so I just come of the brakes for a split second to blip the throttle before the gear change.

Don't think I'm in need of the few tenth's of a second it might save me on track lol!