PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Gear box

Allan
04-12-2005, 18:57
Any good gear box additives ??? to quieten down bearing noise???

I thought i had a drive shaft going but on closer inspection i think its the main bearing on the gear box thats worn, on acceleration i get a grinding noise in all gears but when i put my foot on the clucth it goes away :(
And since its in all gears im assuming its not the layshaft bearings but more likely to be the main ones.

Just did an oil change on the box about 200 miles ago some fully synth castrol stuff, so wondering what i can put in to quieten down those bearings

Coops
05-12-2005, 01:31
Any good gear box additives ??? to quieten down bearing noise???

I thought i had a drive shaft going but on closer inspection i think its the main bearing on the gear box thats worn, on acceleration i get a grinding noise in all gears but when i put my foot on the clucth it goes away :(
And since its in all gears im assuming its not the layshaft bearings but more likely to be the main ones.

Just did an oil change on the box about 200 miles ago some fully synth castrol stuff, so wondering what i can put in to quieten down those bearings

sawdust?!!!

:lol:

Daz
05-12-2005, 02:21
Ah, gearbox noise.
Mine lasted a few months with a slight droning - then, *BANG* - gearbox oil met tarmac.

Not great. :roll: :lol:

fab
05-12-2005, 09:07
I put an off the shelf gearbox oil into a rear diff housing once and it totally fooked up the diff on a rear wheel drive car.should have left it the way it was.The noise was so bad.
You'd think it would help matters :?