PDA

View Full Version : cut up the bonnet

Willy 2
02-12-2005, 02:21
Im running an open Piper Cross filter. Has anyone cut open a slot on the bonnet like they would for a car with throttle bodies as yet?
I might be tmepted that if i can get a 16v bonnet to angle grind out a gao for the filter. Something like Craigs TB motor but on the other side. Got to help the open filter some what?

By the way this post has been edited many times cos im totally battered. Thursday is the new Friday right? Oh dear.......i think im gona be sick :oops:

Daz.
02-12-2005, 10:38
8-[

kj16v
02-12-2005, 11:07
Bloody leave 16V bonnets alone! There rare enough without chopping pointless hole in em!!
Hack up a normal bonnet and get a 16V bonnet skin :roll: :D

Plattsy
02-12-2005, 11:51
theres plenty of 16v bonnets...no one said that to craig when he cut up a CARBON BONNET! find one of them somewhere i dare u! (not using ktec as they are new)
Cant be a bad idea mate but prepare to make a mess of it lol. It probably wont look very nice but if your trying to get as much power as possible then do it. If not then leave it :D

Coops
04-12-2005, 23:56
all u need is what i botched up, i got the piper cross n all and cunningly using the end off my sisters hair drier, some old air ducting from my 1.4 and the splash shield from the nearside wheel arch i've managed to botch up a reasonable cold air feed for nowt!! laffin!

Coops

Willy 2
05-12-2005, 00:04
PICS OLD BOY PICS!!!!

:D

Coops
05-12-2005, 00:45
erm....mite by bit tricky to be honest.....heres my engine bay as it stands at the mo!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/coopahstar/The%20Restoration/PB240242.jpg

i'll take a cupla pics of the parts tomos n see if can explain how i knocked it up!!

Gav
05-12-2005, 00:55
cut from my desk top
this is the kinda one u want. The panels that fit into the slot u can get from the dimma website

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/5122/cliomaxi2su.jpg

Coops
05-12-2005, 00:58
cut from my desk top
this is the kinda one u want. The panels that fit into the slot u can get from the dimma website

surely thats just a pressure relief vent on the top? no way is that the air scoop for a rally car! the air will go in thru intake on front bumper at bottom and that vent will stop the bonnet poppin off cuz of under-bonnet pressure? on a road car wudn't that vent to sweet fa?!

BRUN
05-12-2005, 00:59
well that would indicate they ran with an induction kit rather than a panel filter....?

Coops
05-12-2005, 01:01
fair point! but still, the massice air intake where the fog lites go on us road cars must be where the engine draws air from, that poxy little thing wont get nothing, no angle on it or anything!!

Gav
05-12-2005, 01:09
dunno, i saw a hole n this post so i put it up :D
dont matter about a scoop, if there is a hole there it will suck in air, granted more if there was a scoop, but its only a little vent

Chris H
05-12-2005, 10:11
They do run induction kits. Proper rally cars that is, wrc gear. Nice carbon fibre spun housings with a letter box slot up to seal against the bonnet.

the dimma one, thats a rear air filter feed. Most of the rally cars run them like that, less chance of water going in and other stray things.

Also another major benefit of that is engine bay exhaust, it effectively seals off the engien bay from forced air which helps with cooling etc.

Cutting a hole in a bonnet like evis' is askign for trouble from a cooling point of view, as you equalise and sometimes even create a higher pressure in the engine bay than on the outside, air flow through the rad stagnates temp goes up etc.

Dimma version is better for a stock located airbox set up, you need to make a box (nice drain hole in the bottom of course) then have the box as close the bonnet AS POSSIBLE THEN USE A RUBBER SEAL TO SEAL AGAINST THE BONNET. soz caps.

However that doesn't help when you have TB's. That needs another approach.

FATBOY
05-12-2005, 21:23
cut from my desk top

what operating system are you running???? and whats that rock n roll folder on ur desktop??? :?

Gav
05-12-2005, 22:02
operation system?

the rock n roll file is shed loads of rock n roll tracks

gnr
ac/dc
iron maiden
aerosmith

all the classics

FATBOY
05-12-2005, 22:08
yes mate operating system! windows XP etc etc cos your desktop start button and task bar dont look like any opertaing systems ive seen? didnt know you were a rocker mate :wink:

Gav
05-12-2005, 22:14
proper rocker!

nah i have alienwear mate, it changes everything from xp to what i have

its proper cool, all flashy n posh :D

Coops
05-12-2005, 22:36
proper rocker!

nah i have alienwear mate, it changes everything from xp to what i have

its proper cool, all flashy n posh :D

alienware? rich bugger!!!haha!

:P

Lunner
05-12-2005, 22:53
Why not just do what myself, winston and nick read have done, relocate it down behind the front bumper?